JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am very stressed out right now. The IRS has withdrawn two payments of $10,000 from my bank account. (grand total of over $20,000)
I am partially to blame because I clicked automatic withdrawal from bank account back in January, but when Aril came around and I realized the money had not been taken out I sent a check, then low and behold when april 15 hit, the money was taken out, and a few days later the check was cashed by the IRS and the money was taken again. The bank told me to send an ACH form to the IRS. I tried to call the IRS but got disconnected after 50 minutes on hold. My question is, "Am I going to get my money back." This is a tremendous amount of money gone from my account. Not getting this money back could destroy my family. Please give me any advice you have, with the knowledge that this has devastated us.

You will (eventually) get it back, but in the IRS' good time. You should call as fast and as often as you can to get to talk to a real human. Good luck. My experiences with .gov taking too much money always end well, but they move in their own good time.

You will get your money back.

Send in the CORRECT FORM right away. Something certified. Some way of proving you made contact. Put your SS number on all correspondence.

Any accountant or tax service should be able to direct you to the correct IRS form to complete - and yes - it WILL require the proper 'request for refund due to overpayment' form. Not just a letter.

It will be a form similar to this one - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8038r.pdf - have a professional direct you to the correct form.

You will get your money back.

Send in the CORRECT FORM right away. Something certified. Some way of proving you made contact. Put your SS number on all correspondence.

Any accountant or tax service should be able to direct you to the correct IRS form to complete - and yes - it WILL require the proper 'request for refund due to overpayment' form. Not just a letter.

It will be a form similar to this one - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8038r.pdf - have a professional direct you to the correct form.
Best advice so far.

you will get your money back, I wouldn't be taking tax advice from a gun forum though
Agreed

And you should get interest since they have your money.
Funniest thing I've read in days.

If you have proof of the debt owed and confirmation of the debt paid (ACH), why not stop payment on the check?!? I'd consult your accountant but that is something to consider.

I'm an accountant. You will get your money back but it could take a while. IRS is beyond busy still. I'm half asleep right now but I will try to give u better advice in the morning.

No offense meant but why is this thread in the general firearm discussion area?

Dang! I can't even imagine the income or scenario where I would have a $10k tax bill.

Mouse, you will get your money back, however you need to make the IRS realize that you just overpaid your taxes by double and you want a refund. I would highly recommend talking to someone who deals with the tax forms a lot, preferably an accountant. Being early May, you have a chance of getting a few minutes of their time.

My suggestion, as a business owner myself, pay your taxes via a cashier's check, this way you don't get nasty surprises like this. I've always found whenever I set up an ACH transaction with anyone, no doubt without fail, they would always pull the money out when i am least able to afford it.

I must be reading something wrong it looks to me like the IRS carried out an automatic withdrawl that you set up to pay your taxes. Then YOU SENT them a check for 10K. I don't see where they took the money twice. I do see where you sent the money the second time.

Hope you get it back.

you will get your money back, I wouldn't be taking tax advice from a gun forum though

I know what you're saying, but people here are:

a) not all employed within the firearms industry meaning we have a diverse knowledge base.
b) many have been there, done that.
c) someone we "know", trust, and maybe even respect. :p

I think a fairly standard reply on a tax forum would be "Call this number and have payment info available..."

My suggestion from being there, done that... is to have a CPA. I've had one since moving to Oregon almost 8 years ago and it is well worth the couple hundred bucks a year to handle above average tax responsibilities. If I receive something in the mail I don't understand, I drop her an email, fax the necessary info, do what needs to be done, and possibly learn something along the way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top