JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should .223 be a legal round for hunting "large" game?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • No, it's inhumane

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Depends on load/projectile used

Votes: 28 35.4%

• Total voters
It sounds like some people are under the assumption that because you're using a .223 caliber rifle, that it is an AR/semiauto.

What if people stated that they were using a single-shot or bolt action?

Would they get more credit?

Good point. I am glad you brought that up. I think there is probably that assumption from my attempt at humor in the original post. If I remember correctly, I said something about pumping a deer with 30 rounds of .223, but it was kind of a joke. But why stop at 30? If you had a beta mag, you could hose a deer with 100 rounds!!! :s0155: :s0114:

I have a very traditional hunter type father in law and when I told him I was going to shoot a deer with my AR he thought I was totally ******ed. Although my wife/his daughter shot a deer a few years ago with one of his bolt .223's. Black guns just dont get any credit even though I can outshoot him with any gun he has against my AR

if we can only find a way to kill a deer without hurting it! :D

Maybe the best point of all. :)

I prefer to limit suffering. Not always the case even with larger calibers. When it gets down to it I am out there not just for the fun and adventure of hunting, but also to provide for my family. The priority is to take down what I have determined to harvest regardless.
I will take my .223 with me as a back up for deer since I live many hours from my hunting grounds or any gunsmith. But I would probably feel worse about damaging my primary gun than I would about having to shoot a deer with the AR. And thats not because I dont respect the animal.

I am not sure if anybody said this before or not, but the Washington rational is that the bullet must create 350 ft. lbs. of impact at 100 yards to be legal for big game. I do not have any stats to back this up, but it was what I was told awhile back. Whether or not a .223 has this kind of impact at 100 yards?, I certainatly can't answer that question... :s0092:

Interesting.... I am glad you brought this up. If I was better at this computer thing, I could just post the chart instead of the link to this .pdf file of Hornady ballistics info. According to the chart, all the .223 loads EXCEPT 40gr. have more than 350 ft./lbs. out to a range of 400 yards. Not until ranges reach 500 yards do the projectiles drop below that force. Even at that range, the 75 gr. still would make the 350 rule. I am not saying that isn't the State of Washington's official rationale, but if it is, they are mistaken.

<broken link removed>

I am suprised this thread still pops up from time to time. :s0155:

I took 2 deer in one day (I filled a hunting buddy's tag for him since his gun got buggered that day) with my AR15 using .223 soft-points and only fired 2 rounds. Both shots were a nice broadside, shot them both in the heart... one at 50 meters and the other at about 75 meters. It was weird, when they got hit both the animals jumped straight up in the air about 5'-6' and hit the ground DOA.

One thing about .223, if you are shooting through any kind of brush it stands a good chance of deflecting your round. Anything larger than a deer should have a heavier caliber/round... I like .308 for that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top