JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Grandson was trying to slug the .36 barrel of a 1858 Remington repro with a .380" wooden dowel pushing a .36 ball. I guess he inheirited his brains from me because that rascal is jammed down tighter than Obama's underwear. I haven't a clue how to remove it, it broke off at the muzzle and it's a good 4-5" in the barrel. I'm stumped?

drill straight :s0114:
all kidding aside instead of a wood bit just use a regular drill bits, start with a small one and increase the size you will see if your going straight if not you can use a wood screw to bite into the wood but not really expand the wood tie a rope cable to the end of the screw then start tugging.

OK please follow these directions carefully.

Remove the cylinder from the pistol

Place 3 layers of masking tape around the top strap of the pistol (the piece above the cylinder) this is to protect it.

put a 1/4" dowel the lenght of the cylinder into the bore from the cylinder end. repeat until you have a section of dowel sticking into the open area of the frame where the cylinder goes. Now take something heavy and flat like a large open end wrench and use it as a hammer to pound on the end of the 1/4" dowel as the obstruction moves out of the barrel you can add more dowel sections or grab it with a pair of vise grips and pull it out.

That sounds pretty good( I was thinking of adapting a co2 ball remover) but this is a Remington and there isn't a lot of room and its at an angle feeding a dowel from the back but it makes sense.

OK what ever you do do not allow the obstruction dowel to get wet. It will swell and you'll be truely screwed.

Try working the smaller dowel to close to the back of the cylinder opening so you can work a small lever inbetween the frame and the end of the dowel.

if this doesn't work your going to have to drill it out I would start with a 1/8" D bit to core the center of the obstruction dowel then try the dowel being pounded or levered to shove the balance out.

If this doesn't work and your anywhere near Salem PM me your phone number and I can get it out. You'll have to bring it to my shop in Silverton.

I went to Saffron Hardware store and bought a long wood screw with a loop on the end, the man there said to first drill a 1/8" hole for the screw to fit into otherwise it'll push the wood tighter unto the sides. Tomorrow I'll drill it and thread in the woodscrew, tie a loop on the screwhead and try and pull her out.
Thanks for all your help, and if it doesn't work I'll take a drive over to Silverton and take you up on your offer, Mike

I know this is probably a bad idea but what if I filled a chamber halfway with powder put a wad over it capped it and let her loose?

So your grand son inherited his brains from you.. Think DAMN MY HAND HURTS AND WHY IS MY FINGER OVER THERE ON THE FLOOR

This what trees and bailing twine were invented. Tie the pistol to a tree (bailing twine) and pull trigger from a safe distance using more bailing twine, while standing behind a bigger tree.

Get yourself a sturdy length of copper wire and a drill. Put the wire in the drill, then smash the other end of the wire with a hammer, just some, still undersize to the bore. Google "spoon drill bit" for ideas, but you don't have to be as precise. Use that to drill it out, light pressure, backing out the sawdust very frequently so it doesn't bind. Clip off the spoon end and resmash if it starts to look worn. If you want to get fancy, hit the spoon with a file for a cutting edge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top