JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I have is enough. At lease for awhile. Can't add to it anyway at the moment, so I am just glad I have what I need. Maybe not everything I want, but what I actually need.

That's a dangerous question on this site.
Some guys will slap you up side the head, and call you a rookie.
They would say for what purpose? I need details details details.
Me, I say buy what you can afford, and what seems nessasary.
.22, .223, .300wsm, .270, maybe all together, 10,000-20,000
Just an example.

That's a dangerous question on this site.
Some guys will slap you up side the head, and call you a rookie.
They would say for what purpose? I need details details details.
Me, I say buy what you can afford, and what seems nessasary.
.22, .223, .300wsm, .270, maybe all together, 10,000-20,000
Just an example.

OH5 is going to laugh, I finished this as his post showed.........

I think that depends.......how many people are you prepping for - is it a family of 2? 4? Do you have relatives that are coming over in case of emergency? How many? Do you have neighbors you watch out for(some of those can be better than relatives)? What are you prepping for? What are planning on doing with your firearms? Hunting? Plinking? Self Defense? What ranges are you using these firearms at? How dense is the population of the area we are talking about? Are you reloading?

I know people for who a .22 rifle, a .308 bolt gun and a 9mm pistol and maybe a shotgun will suffice along with a couple bricks(500rounds/brick) of .22LR, 2-5boxes .308, 3-5boxes 9mm and 4 boxes of 12ga.

Guns - I like to have 4 of everything(there are 4members in my household, it's part of my philosophy.....when my kids start their own families, they will each get their own "set", I had to do it on my own, I want them to have the headstart I didn't), doesn't mean I have 4 of everything now, it's my goal). I started with a .30-06, a Ruger 10-22, 9mm pistol and a 12ga. pump.......

Ammo. - Personally, I buy 5.56 and pistol ammo in cases, it's cheaper that way(1000rounds for "ball" ammo and 250-500rounds at a time for selfdefense ammo., 250rounds for shotgun). I still buy .30-06, 300win mag, by the box of 20(seems to be the only way you can buy it). I buy .22LR at Bi-Mart 2 bricks at time.

Last Edited:
Funny you asked because my dad just asked me, "don't you have enough yet?" In my opinion I never have enough, but I'm sure in the big scheme of things I have plenty.

I have 4 different weapons....(and 2 of each of them)......22, 5.56, 9mm, 12g. I keep 2000 rounds for each type....so 8000 rounds at the moment. . I have 7 mags for each of the 5.56. 1 loaded mag for each and 6 in each bandoleer. I only have 2 mags for each of the others. I do need more magazines

But Ammo is a commodity that can be traded for other goods, so keep buying what you can afford....when its cheep

In the early 80s, when survivalism was at an all-time high in the US, Mel Tappen (of Oregon!) published Survival Guns. It's a one-inch paperback with Mel's opinions on every type of gun...basically Boston's Gun Bible for an earlier generation. Of course, Mel was thinking of the classic US-USSR nuclear aftermath kind of situation.

In the back of the book, Mel listed his "recommend arsenals". As I recall, the minimum set was 66 guns...

Minimum.

I tend to group my firearms in four groups:

1. Daily defense: 1911 and pump 12

2. Daily hunting: .22 revolver, 22 bolt, 44 mag revolver, 30-06 bolt, double bbl 12ga

3. Plinking fun: 357 revolver and lever combo, 22 semi auto

4. SHTF: 3x EBR, 2x double stack pistols

I keep a separate supply of ammo for each group and each firearm and don't cheat. If I'm out of plinking ammo, I still have hunting ammo, etc...

I tend to group my firearms in four groups:

1. Daily defense: 1911 and pump 12

2. Daily hunting: .22 revolver, 22 bolt, 44 mag revolver, 30-06 bolt, double bbl 12ga

3. Plinking fun: 357 revolver and lever combo, 22 semi auto

4. SHTF: 3x EBR, 2x double stack pistols

I keep a separate supply of ammo for each group and each firearm and don't cheat. If I'm out of plinking ammo, I still have hunting ammo, etc...

EBR = Everyday Battle Rifle?

Enhanced Battle Rifle

Standard Combat load for a US soldier: 210 rounds of 5.56
If he has a pistol: 3 15 round magazines.

So in reality, if I had 66 guns and 20,000 rounds of ammo, I will be in motion and not able to carry much of that with me. So, Main Battle Rifle of choice, and one semi-auto pistol, with a 22 loaded with sub sonic rounds. As far as ammo goes, as much as I can carry and still stay mobile. Of course I would have any extra stashed in the event I could get back to re-supply, but I wouldn't count on it.

As to what I really have, once again, I'm not telling.

i know guys that rely on their guns for putting food on the table. one of them, one box of .30-06 will take care of that for a few years. for him, that's enough.

for others, the idea of "enough" doesn't exist. having to stop and think for a minute not about how much [insert caliber here] ammo you have... but which stash is the closest, or trying to remember where all of those stashes are.

years ago i was moving. sold my house and was packing up. when i was cleaning out the barn, i had an old toilet sitting way up on a shelf, with a manikin dressed as evil kenevil sitting on it. the tank of the toilet was filled with ammo. to this day i do not remember doing that. right there... that, to me, is the definition of "eh, almost enough"

One more will be enough. I bought a Walther P-22 today, so just one more... And one more box of .308... and one more box of primers... and one more box of 300gr .44 mag bullets... and...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top