JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
75 caliber blunderbusses can be ordered via mail order.

1.00 caliber blunderbusses can be mailed ordered

1. 27 CFR 479.11

2. Antique firearm.Any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

3. We have talked before and I know YOU WILL misread the law but I am correct DD laws do NOT apply to black powder.

You sold me. That means my Handgonne project should be based on 3/4 ID pipe nested inside of 1" ID pipe. I know fuse cord isn't a historically correct ignition source but I like the idea as it will give me more time to aim.

I should be able to adapt the guts of the slam fire AR shotgun platform to function as the Handgonne base. I will remove the 1" slam fire receiver pipe and swap it out with a 12 to 20" long nested pipe set that has a 12ga hull inserted in the breech end before threading on to the reducer. The nested pipe set will consist of a 3/4 ID pipe stuffed into a 1" ID pipe. The 3/4 pipe will have no threads. The 1" pipe will be threaded on the breech and muzzle ends.

Hold my beer and I will throw this together this weekend.

Edit: For 12ga hull I will cut away the plastic from a high brass hull and only use the brass portion of the hull in the breech. The touch hole will be drilled through the nested pipe set just above where the 12ga hull base lies. That should put the ignition point in the lower third of the powder column.

Legally I would think this would be a firearm but it will satisfy my handgonne build desire.

Last Edited:
75 caliber blunderbusses can be ordered via mail order.

Your mention of blunderbusses has steered me into a slightly different direction with this handgonne project. I will be following my 3/4" pipe nested in a 1" pipe plan for the barrel but I am going to build it with the anticipation of loading it blunderbuss style (multiple projectiles vs single projectile). I will add a reducer similar to this as a muzzle device and give it more of a blunderbuss look (yes I will grind out the threads on the 1.5" end of the reducer).

Finding single projectiles in 80cal wouldn't be easy or cheap and accuracy out of these types of smooth bores isn't great anyways. The blunderbuss loads will add a greater fun element to the shooting and make it more economical.

I don't think my black pipe build will be up to 100gr charges but it should be fun anyways.

12ga shotgun slugs? Oh man I shouldn't be feeding the maninals!
I'm not going to lie, this past 4th my buddy had a home made cannon that was about .30 cal. Ive had home made cannons before and Infact should be kicking around somewhere. But the other day I was cutting the handle off a medical instrument I thought was solid and turned out to be about perfect for a cannon its about .625" ID and about 5.125" inside depth and not seem welded, it's about .125" thick side walls. And since its medical I'm 100% positive its overbuilt and I'm sure its made on a lathe and concentric bore, I think I have to. I think I'll mount mine on a carriage though at least till I put it through some harsh paces and see if its swells or grenades at all. It should be 17-4 or 410 series SS or something very corrosion resistant and tough due to the autoclaving attributes needed. The handle wasn't the blade that came out of it though but should still be pretty solid. Well find out! I have plenty of cannon fuse. Even still have some black powder from when the "ex box" had her little Ethan Allen BP.
I'll try and update but I'll admit I'm not big on pictures really.

12ga slugs would work. Let me know if you find a cheap source. American Reloading had pulled ones years ago but I haven't seen them lately.
I got Lee and Lyman molds.
But they are kinda reserved because I'm going to have to melt the shot out of the pulls I get them from and load them back into the hulls they came from. Not really many extras but I'm sure there will be some.

Shoot me a pm sometime. We should get in touch. I still need to read up, I have the Lyman casting book but haven't read it yet. I need to get on it SOON though. Times wasting times is getting turbulent! Better sooner than later.
I want to say ones 1oz 325gn? the other is 1-1/4 or 525gn?

Starting small. :)
I just saw golf ball cannons for sale online which look pretty darn sweet. 1.75" bore. Kinda somewhat cheap (without the stand) I think I got a few tricks up my sleeve(s) though!

Edit: this one is about .65" ID. x 5" long as said before. Been MANY years since I played with the black powder. Looking forward to it. I wish I had some decent material besides wood for the carriage wheels. But I think I'm going to go for a ship carriage style instead of a field cannon.

3e546982-ecec-4f56-abad-540edd86b74a.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class