Gun Crafters Firearms & More

Discussion in 'Oregon Reviews' started by Northwest Firearms, Aug 6, 2008.

?

Overall Rating?

1. 5 - Excellent

13 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. 4 - Very Good

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. 3 - Average

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. 2 - Fair

27 vote(s)
    20.1%
  5. 1 - Poor

76 vote(s)
    56.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northwest Firearms

Northwest Firearms NWFA Robot Staff Member

0   0   0
    Gun Crafters Firearms & More
    2315 Pringle Rd SE # J
    Salem, OR 97302
    (503) 362-6197‎
  2. m'kay13

m'kay13 Member

2   0   0
    I did not give these guys a "poor" because I have never been in the shop. However, I have talked to three different customer service representatives on the phone.

Because of gas prices I call most shops before I visit to see if they can actually help me with my problem, or sell what I am looking for. I once called asking if they had any used 10/22 rifles below Bi-Mart sale prices. (Fair question?) Their response: "That's kind of a dumb question. Why would we do that when we can take a beater and turn it into a custom gun and sell it for . . ." I didn't hear the rest of the response because I hung up the phone.

I appreciate honesty, but telling a customer they are asking a "dumb question" . . . WTF?

My 10/22 money went to Bi-Mart and my gunsmithing business went to Ole's.
  3. Joe Link

Joe Link Administrator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Life Member

24   0   0
    Wow. It's too bad that poor customer service is so common when it comes to gun shops. Luckily, the opposite is usually true for gun and accessory manufacturers. If this site takes off like it has the potential to do, maybe they'll realize they're losing business because the word is getting out.
    McGrawski and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Zeke Menuar

Zeke Menuar Member

0   0   0
    Marion County Fudd Headquarters.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
  5. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Active Member

33   1   0
    I gave them a poor rating. I've never actually bought anything from them but have been in there quite a few asking for help in shipping a firearm and just getting general info. The dumbasses there wouldn't listen to anything I had to say because I was a "kid." A few months ago I was just looking for some 5.45x39 ammo and they had no idea what I was talking about. One guy asked if it was for a sniper rifle? I explained it's for the AK74, at which they said "good luck finding that commie bubblegum." I told them S&W was coming out with an upper in 5.45x39 and they just laughed at me.

I highly doubt I will ever do business with those asshats.
  6. Joe Link

Joe Link Administrator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Life Member

24   0   0
    Geez, sounds like they got their customer service experience from The Gun Room.
    pdx210 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Active Member

33   1   0
    They aren't THAT bad...damn near close though :p

I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually sister stores :p
  8. jakk586

jakk586 Member

25   0   0
    i've bought six guns from doug. never had a problem. he is a little abrasive to new customers. seen it. i went in there on a saturday a couple weeks ago and had to hop behind the counter to help out.
    the guy you have to watch out for is ron redding. that guy is a spitfire. never seen a guy so full of energy. i've seen him come in like a force of nature, talk to three recalcitrant customers, knock ten percent off the price of the gun and make the sale.
  9. transformerguru

transformerguru Member

9   0   0
    I here they are over priced... at least thats what my shop in Stayton says. If you all have ten minutes to drive out and check out Hank Porter's Gun Shop on 3rd st. in Stayton. Tell him Matt sent ya. And have a little extra time he is fun to talk too.
  10. ch139

ch139 Active Member

22   0   0
    Also known as Guncrappers.

It is one of the cleaner gun store I'v seen, but high prices across the board and the "gunsmithing" is pretty much hack work.

Guy charges 25% for consignment. :rolleyes:
  11. BUZO71

BUZO71 Banned

4   0   0
    That guy working at that place is a jerk. I tried to get a price on a Kahr a couple of years back. short, uninterested answers.... that's ok, I took my money over to the shop on 25th....
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  12. jakk586

jakk586 Member

25   0   0
    wich guy was it? let me get this straight. you went there once a couple years ago, asked some questions about a line of pistols they didn't carry at that time, havn't been back since and formulated an oppinion that quickly? and then felt so strongly about your experiences two years ago with an unidentified person that you felt compelled to come here and tell everyone about it?

have you ever been to one of his customer appreciation days? ridden on the hay ride with ron? had a free lunch? talked with one of the several factory reps that come? i'm sure the factory rep from kahr could have answered your questions. they mark every gun in the place down to their cost for the whole three day weekend. have you ever bought one?

perhaps another trip over there is in order. you might find things have changed.
  13. jakk586

jakk586 Member

25   0   0
    i felt that i should point out that i dont owe doug anything. i dont have any affiliation with his store. i'm just a customer. his shop is a couple blocks from where i work. some times i stop in on the way home and sit there on one of the stools and b.s for an hour. i appreciate that. stools are disappearing from gun shops all across the valley. even my cousin doesn't have any at his shop. his prices are high on some stuff, but i dont mind spending an extra twenty bucks to keep a local guy in business. i could have got it at sportsman's wh0rehouse for less. the oregon state police trusts him with their sniper rifles, and they've never buggered up one of my guns. i shot a custom fifle built from scratch at guncrafters in the eighties at fcrgc. twenty years after they built it, it still shot sub moa with factory ammo, and the old timer that owned it was pleased as pie.
  14. BUZO71

BUZO71 Banned

4   0   0
    Doug was the guy I was talking about. The thing is, between my experience and the other guys I work with- yeah, that's enough for me.... BTW, yeah, it only takes a few minutes with him to determine what he is.... kinda goes with the job...

Also, I never said I had been there only once... I was pointing the last incident that made me decide to never recommend nor spend my money at that place. Also, OSP does not send all of their guns to him... The guys stationed in the area go there but probably because he was the low bidder... if, in fact, they had a contract with him...

Let me say something, I am tired of spending money to be treated like crap. I get treated like that all day at work; seems that if I am off duty and looking to spend my money someone might take just a couple of minutes out of his day standing there looking like the king, to answer a question- and seem... pretend... to be interested in earning my business.

I think that place has just been around so long that they don't feel they need to have any type of customer service. Good for them- I'll go somewhere else... even if it has to be Sportsmans...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  15. beavernation1

beavernation1 Member

57   0   0
    today was my first time at guncrafters and I was pleased how friendly doug was especially considering there were about 10 people in there. Doug was cracking jokes and doing 3 things at once. If this was anything like normal I will go back.
  16. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Member

27   0   0
    I must be lucky, I had a few very good experiences at Guncrafters. This summer, my nephew attended the youth event at Mitchell's Clay Target Center. He was very fortunate to win a 20 gauge shotgun that was DONATED by Guncrafters. They were very pleased to give this shotgun to a "beginng" shooter. They also threw in 5 boxes of ammo, a cleaning kit, and a case. Doug was very pleasant to my nephew/us and we will be going back soon.
  17. RangerEric

RangerEric Member

67   0   0
    I wanted my first post with you guys to be a positive one, which is why I used it to extoll the virtues of Mick over at MLC. My second post is going to be not so positive, and while I'd had plenty of previous encounters at Guncrafters, some fine, some iffy, leading up to the following, the story I'm going to relay pretty well sealed the deal for me that I'll be spending my money elsewhere. This is copied from the post I originally made over on DefensiveCarry.com some time ago, entitled....

"Had a gun pointed at my head today...

...by a gun dealer!!!

I went into my local gun shop, actually the one where I purchased my Glock 19 a few months back, and where I've always had fairly positive experiences. Went to look at a Glock for a buddy of mine who's going to be getting his license soon.

So, most all of this guy's Glocks are sold with Glock Tac Lights attached to them as a "bundle" deal. My buddy didn't really want to pay an extra $80 for a light he really didn't want, so we asked him about the possibility of buying the gun without the light. He proceeds to try and sell us on his "bundle" by telling us what a "great deal it is" and what a "great light it is", and gets the gun out from behind the glass counter, and hands it to me (without checking the chamber first and covering myself and another customer in the process, mind you.)

I check the chamber like he should have, and point the light up against the wall on the far side of the store. (Where there's no people standing!) I gave a "Hmmph", the light is a light, but not impressively bright, and I say so. He proceeds to snatch the gun from my hand, and with an "Oh yeah? Watch this!" or something to that effect, points the gun right at my face and clicks the light on, to apparently demonstrate it's "incredible BG blinding powers".

Needless to say, I was not impressed with his final gun safety indiscretion, pretty much said "Ok, have a nice day...", turned and left, and don't plan to step foot in there again. So, I can officially say I've looked down the wrong end of a gun, and didn't like it one bit!"

So, there's my opinion of Guncrafters, and why I'll be spending my dollars with Mick instead. Thanks everybody.
  18. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Well-Known Member

37   0   0

I drove down their a year ago with 2k cash, left with 2k cash. Got a very negative feeling about the guy, stuff he was telling a customer just to sell parts. From what I saw it's a semi hack job. Sorry, but that's what I saw. He may be a nice if you know him.
  19. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Active Member

33   1   0
    I'm done even going in there anymore; there is NO reason to be charging $300+ for a Keltec P32. Sucks that they are the only small business open on my days off. They won't even talk to me when I go in there anymore.
  20. The Duck

The Duck Active Member

13   1   0
    I gave a poor score... I called with a list of rifles I was looking for and had cash in had for all of them this is how it played out with the man...

Do you have a Socom... "I dont sell those pieces of crap

ok, do you have a PS90... "Once a again that is a piece of crap, whats next on your little list"

Well, do you have a FS2000?..."Not a chance, if all your into is crap guns, call someone else"...

Ok, how about a Smith @ Wesson MP15T..."I dont carry that crap either"...

Needless to say, I never call this man again or go to his shop. I ended up spending my money with the Gun Broker off of 82nd Ave (very nice people)...

Thats my story with these guys...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.