JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so I recently purchased a new stripped CavArms mkii lower, and picked up a DPMS lpk to build it up with. However, after reading some tutorials and watching online videos on how to assemble an AR lower, I realized that I don't have even the minimum necessary tools for assembling the lower (like those small pin punches or whatever they're called).
Like some CavArms lowers, mine is also a little tight in some spots and might need some filing or exacto-knife work to get everything fitting perfectly. I'm nervous about doing this myself because I have no experience and I'd hate to accidentally ruin my new lower!

So I want to know if there are any shops around Portland (or close in WA, I suppose) that have experience with assembling CavArms lowers. I'd also love any ballpark estimates on how much this might cost to have them do.

Thanks!
-D.A.

Ok so I recently purchased a new stripped CavArms mkii lower, and picked up a DPMS lpk to build it up with. However, after reading some tutorials and watching online videos on how to assemble an AR lower, I realized that I don't have even the minimum necessary tools for assembling the lower (like those small pin punches or whatever they're called).
Like some CavArms lowers, mine is also a little tight in some spots and might need some filing or exacto-knife work to get everything fitting perfectly. I'm nervous about doing this myself because I have no experience and I'd hate to accidentally ruin my new lower!

So I want to know if there are any shops around Portland (or close in WA, I suppose) that have experience with assembling CavArms lowers. I'd also love any ballpark estimates on how much this might cost to have them do.

Thanks!
-D.A.
Jason at JC Weaponry up in the Couve. Great guy, was a big cav arms dealer. Give him a call and he could probably help you out. He doesn't have a store front, but he is worth a shot. He is also at all of the Portland gun shows. As for the punches, you can get them at pretty much any ACE hardware. Thats where i got mine. Just need that, some tape (to keep from marring your receiver) and a wrench to tighten the buffer tube into the stock. But I am not 100% sure that you need a buffer tube on a cav arms lower.

Thanks!
-D.A.
Just take the time and do it yourself. Since the Cav-arms lowers are plastic it is much easier to get the pins in plus you don't have to deal with the two detent pins/springs that like to fly across the room as the Cav-arms don't use them, neither do you have the trigger guard to pin in. Trust me you can do it! Go to Harbor freight and P/U a punch set for $6

AR15 .com has an easy do it yourself guide.

Jason at JC Weaponry up in the Couve. Great guy, was a big cav arms dealer. Give him a call and he could probably help you out. He doesn't have a store front, but he is worth a shot. He is also at all of the Portland gun shows. As for the punches, you can get them at pretty much any ACE hardware. Thats where i got mine. Just need that, some tape (to keep from marring your receiver) and a wrench to tighten the buffer tube into the stock. But I am not 100% sure that you need a buffer tube on a cav arms lower.

No you don't need one. There is a pin on Cav-arms that holds the buffer detent though.

After looking at the receiver for a while and all the parts I finally just went ahead and got it done myself. The slightly tight bolt catch slot was fixed with about 10 seconds worth of careful filing and I found that the pins were all easy enough to install - even without pin punches!
The one part that was slightly annoying was installing the fire control selector, since the Cav Arms lower doesn't have a separate grip, the detent and spring install from the top via a small hole in the wall of the receiver above the selector. It was a miracle that I didn't lose the detent pin because the thing likes to shoot out while trying to get the selector in.

If I hadn't been overly cautious I probably could have done the whole thing in 15 minutes. Trlsmn was right!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top