JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Spread the word, contact your Reps, join OFF/NRA/GOA, and plan your transactions accordingly. I will be a shame if this passes, worse if you are made an example of on Friday.

From OFF -

View attachment 222799
1.jpg
Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Rights Organization

03.26.15The long promised gun owner registration bill has been introduced. SB 941 requires police background checks on private transfers of firearms. Now the failed background check system you are subject to at gun stores will be required when you give a gun to your best friend.The bill has a long list of co-sponsors including Val Hoyle who at one time seemed to be rational on this issue.We have been reliably informed that this bill is going to be fast tracked through the Senate. Please, right now, contact your representatives and express your outrage at this new and dangerous assault on your privacy and liberty.The current background check system is a joke. Most people who are denied are denied with no justification and the very few people who are actually "prohibited persons" are virtually never arrested. So what is the purpose of this bill? The purpose is simply to harass legitimate gun owners and expand the universe of registered guns and gun owners.You can send a message to the entire legislature here.You can find your own legislators here. You will want to contact the people under the tabs "Senate" and "House."We are in a race now folks. Please act now.

From the NRA -

Today, Senate Bill 941 was introduced in Oregon. This is an egregious bill that would require individuals to appear before a gun dealer to request a criminal background check prior to privately transferring a firearm. Transfers include, but are not limited to, sales, gifts, loans and leases. Failure to comply with this mandate could result in stiff penalties and possible loss of an individual's right to keep and bear arms.

So-called "universal" background checks do nothing to reduce violent crime, and only affect law-abiding gun owners by imposing cumbersome mandates and restrictions on the lawful purchase and possession of firearms. Criminals, by definition, do not follow the law and do not subject themselves to gun control schemes or background checks. It is already illegal to knowingly sell or transfer a firearm to someone classified as a prohibited person, and is a felony for a prohibited person to buy, own or possess a firearm. This is an ineffective and unenforceable piece of legislation that will only impact the law abiding.

SB 941, like many other gun control schemes, is a step towards the full registration of firearms. In January 2013, the Department of Justice said that background checks on all firearm transfers "depends on…requiring gun registration."

SB 941 is scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, April 1, at 8:00 a.m. Please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee today and politely urge them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 941. Committee contact information is provided below.

Please stay tuned to your email inbox and www.nraila.org for further updates on this bill as the 2015 legislative session progresses.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

Senator Floyd Prozanski (D-4), Chair(503) 986-1704
[email protected]

Senator Jeff Kruse (R-1), Vice-Chair(503) 986-1701
[email protected]

Senator Ginny Burdick (D-18)(503) 986-1718
[email protected]

Senator Sara Gelser (D-8)(503) 986-1708
[email protected]

Senator Kim Thatcher (R-13)(503) 986-1851
[email protected]

Okay, so I know this bill is declared an 'emergency', which means it can go into effect immediately. According to the schedule, there will be public testimony on the 1st (Wednesday) and a 'work session' on the 2nd (Thursday). My question is this, even if they vote and pass it on Thursday, doesn't it then also have to go to the House for a vote as well? In reviewing the process on the State of Oregon's site, that would seem to be the case. So, assuming they voted and passed it on Thursday, wouldn't that then require it to go to the House for a review and vote? If so, how long might that take? Will they also take testimony?

I'm just not sure if this could happen as quickly as Thursday, but maybe someone else knows better how that has to work?

I emailed the senator and representative from my district a couple of days ago and got a lame response from an "assistant" saying they weren't even fielding questions/concerns about this bill until it actually hit the floor. Basically saying, "piss off" and they could care less what the public thinks.

We all just went through this across the river in Washington. Our bill even forbids you from loaning your gun to a friend at the range. It's insane and hopefully people who voted it into effect will be recalled or replaced.

After it passed in Wa, I started looking around for a new place to live. Our 1st choice was Ore. for several reasons including several friends there. As we got ready to check out our 1st property, your former Governor announced his promise to increase gun registration in Ore. He's gone, but I guess the anti's are still running your gov. No problem, I'll take my money elsewhere.
Idaho, here we come

Iheartsig -

Let me know what you think it should say, I think it is very likely the truth. It is shocking how little gun owners and rights supporters know about this, which is a big plus for those working against our freedom.

How about posting it in the appropriate section for starters. Then perhaps something more explanatory like "this bill is going to require background checks for FTF sales starting Friday, if it passes, please contact your legislators"

The only thing wrong with the title is he forgot to mention handguns and machine guns. Essentially all non interfamily firearms transactions will be prohibited outside of a gun dealer. Read the bill.

Last Edited:
I also posted some time ago that even if you fail a BG check, you can legally still own a firearm in Oregon, felony conviction or not.

Possession of Weapons by Certain Felons

I also take exception to the first sentence in this bill: "Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon". I have to call total bullcrap here unless we, the people of the State of Oregon, actually get to vote on this.

Last Edited:
Wow.
Any polite samples of emails that could be sent to them about this?
Is there going to be a gathering to show opposition for this?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top