JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did look at rifles in the $800-$1k range and had settled on the 6920. However, the research I found showed that a mid length system would be less taxing on parts and would run a little cleaner and more efficient. I feel that if I'm going to spend around $1k then I would rather spend a bit more and get exactly what I want.

I did look at rifles in the $800-$1k range and had settled on the 6920. However, the research I found showed that a mid length system would be less taxing on parts and would run a little cleaner and more efficient. I feel that if I'm going to spend around $1k then I would rather spend a bit more and get exactly what I want.

Hmmm....

not sure what you mean by more efficient, but it at least sounds like you've already had your mind made up.

mid length vs carbine is not going to make enough difference for you to notice, nor enough difference to actually matter in any meaningful way. except the mid length system is going to be heavier, more expensive, and parts less available.

again, starting with a cheap AR and learning all this stuff first hand is a better idea, rather than building some fancy AR based on interwebs postings.

learn the platform first before building a custom AR.

you can always keep the lower from your cheap AR and build the fancy upper later.

Thanks for the clarification on the calibers in OR. Looks like I need to read the current hunting regulations there. Not sure I would want to use a 5.56/.223 round for deer unless it was a survival situation but still nice to know.

regulations in oregon state minimum caliber for deer is .22 and minimum for elk is .24

also magazine capacity must be 5rds or less. but u can take a 10 round mag and put a plug in the bottom, just so long as an officer cant force a 6th round in your legal.

regulations in oregon state minimum caliber for deer is .22 and minimum for elk is .24

also magazine capacity must be 5rds or less. but u can take a 10 round mag and put a plug in the bottom, just so long as an officer cant force a 6th round in your legal.
Thanks again,
In WA. the minimum caliber is .24 with the exception of Cougar.
I am a successful hunter and have killed deer in other states with a .223 caliber rifle. Why can't I use my .223 to hunt deer in Washington State? | WDFW Help

There is no minimum in WA for capacity.
What is the magazine-capacity restriction on firearms used for big game hunting? | WDFW Help

and for anyone that may be wondering there are restriction on night vision and laser devices.
Can I use laser sights or night vision devices to hunt? | WDFW Help

Most of us will only be concerned about the hunting regulations in our own state though as it is pretty expensive to get an out of state hunting license.

I dont consider the .223 to be good for deer at least not here. Maybe if you live on a farm and have nuisance deer or if your in some of the southern states where the deer are about the size of med dog and are in over abundance . Oregon just does not have enough deer to go poking holes n them and loosing the blood trail in the rain and have them die a miserable death just to feed the coyotes and you go home with a unfilled tag. IF your a really good shot and using a quality bullet maybe but. But i have known guys that hunted with .223 and its just a terrible round for the deer around here. although there will be some that will chime in and boast they killed deer with their .223 or their red rider bb gun. or boast how they killed a deer with a .223 after killing a 6pack of beer . problem is they fail to mention the conditions like deer were in their garden of fail to mention the misses which may have actually been hits

if you want to hunt deer with the small platform ar15 get a 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel upper. those are very impressive and good deer rounds. or jump up to a large platform Ar10 LR308 .308 which is much better for deer and opens up your ability to hunt elk or bear with it.

as far as building goes. its a old argument of how much to spend on your ar15 since there are so many options to choose from . If your ultimate goal is to build a higher quality ar15 just go for it, why waste money on something you are going to get rid of right?

but what i personally would do is buy low and trade out the low end parts for higher end parts over time. It may cost you a little more this way or then again you may be so pleased with what you got that you may not need to do much to it. this may require getting some tools or making friends with some one who has the tools. they are not that expensive a vise, a receiver/action block and armorers wrench and a couple other common tools

If i were to go the mentioned route i would buy a entry rifle then upgrade the trigger. then the barrel then the bolt carrier group and then any personal preference items like a fancy stock or rail ect ect. . You can keep the receivers and other generic parts but the critical parts to your rifle for accuracy realiability are your bolt carrier group, barrel and trigger group . there are some other nice upgrades as well if you really want it to go to 11

Another point to a starter rifle is you will learn to trouble shoot and you will learn to replace things and fix things also you can blast steel cased ammo without felling like you committed a sin. and you will have a reference point so when you do fork over the $$ for that barrel that cost you almost as much as the whole rifle you'll know why you did or know why you should not have. then when you have been there done that you will have the the knowledge to post on a thread where someone is asking the same question your asking now .

First do you know what makes an AR top end? There is a difference and the name brands may not mean top end quality. You can build a really nice rifle of any quality from PSA as mentioned and all you have to do is read the product description. Yes there is a difference in the quality of the parts, I like to call them M16 quality and bolt action quality as there is a reason the government has specifictions for how the AR is built. That being said A Daniel defense ,Bravo Company and most Colt ARs are about as good as you can get. Other than being tacticool you really don't need the trick rails and stocks to make a nice rifle. IMO and not to knock S@W i have their pistols with out any complaints, their AR line is overpriced for what you get for the $$$. All this being said, I will add that it seems that nobody owns just one AR.

milspec doesn't mean "best". it means military spec. that does not always even mean 'good'. sometimes it isn't even up to 'horrible' quality.

the only things that really matter for accuracy are trigger and barrel, with bolt maybe a distant third. though i have never heard any professional precision rifle competitor state any bcg was more accurate than any other.

Personally, I'd never buy a "build" gun from anyone.. especially not when arms of comparable specs are to be had from major manufacturers at competitive/ comparable prices.

bolt carrier group has to do with long term reliability not accuracy .

Mil spec is just a word that says it will work with other mil spec parts.

Only government contractors like colt and fn have their parts inspected by the government .

They used to be pretty much the only companies to Inspect critical parts like bolts now all the major players do .

there are lots of factors for a good rifle reliability like heat treating testing that parts align correctly (timing) ect ect. Cheaper brands may fail but they can be easliy be fixed by better quality "mil spec" parts cause they all work together if they are mil spec.

how good your barrel is and how good a shooter you are will determine your accuracy . Triggers and recoil control parts like muzzle breaks and buffer springs and h buffers are tools to help you become a better shooter

Here's a slightly different thought process than what has been offered so far.

When I bought my first AR I knew I'd want to change configurations as I learned what I liked and could afford. Things I knew I wouldn't be changing out I went with higher quality parts, like Upper/lower receivers, BCG, barrel, and low-pro gas block.
The other stuff, I went good quality but cheap. I went with very basic Magpul furniture. Then I got used to shooting it, and found what I didn't like and what I wanted to change. I even went with a 16" barrel so I could change the flash hider/brake as I wanted.
Since then I've changed out the FH, hand guard, trigger, buffer.

Did I spend more than I absolutely needed? Sure, but if I had built it the way I thought I wanted, I would have ended up spending even more and not enjoyed it as much.

Here's a slightly different thought process than what has been offered so far.

When I bought my first AR I knew I'd want to change configurations as I learned what I liked and could afford. Things I knew I wouldn't be changing out I went with higher quality parts, like Upper/lower receivers, BCG, barrel, and low-pro gas block.
The other stuff, I went good quality but cheap. I went with very basic Magpul furniture. Then I got used to shooting it, and found what I didn't like and what I wanted to change. I even went with a 16" barrel so I could change the flash hider/brake as I wanted.
Since then I've changed out the FH, hand guard, trigger, buffer.

Did I spend more than I absolutely needed? Sure, but if I had built it the way I thought I wanted, I would have ended up spending even more and not enjoyed it as much.

It's really about figuring out what you want. Starting with a good base is important. I got lucky with the RRA predator pursuit, it is pretty much exactly what I wanted to build.

Walmart 6920 for around 1k is best deal out there IMO. If set on midlength, check out some of rainier arms offerings, don't own anything by them but they seem to be highly regarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great points. Seems like either way you go there are benefits. Is there an AR pic thread here?

be advised the only way to know what is right for you is to get trigger time. until you have actual experience with the platform, pictures won't help inform you much other than show what is possible -- no picture will tell you if it is appropriate for you or if you will like it or not.

50% comes down to your body size and ergonimic fit. this will be different from everyone else. 50% comes down to personal preference. also different from everyone else.

for instance nickb liked his rra predator, which comes with heavy profile barrel, fixed a2 stock, smooth handguard, and wylde chamber. one of the least common configurations out there. i would say that is the diametric opposite in every way of the ARs I build for myself. but that is due to my personal preferences and ergonomics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top