JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can do a google or yahoo search and find some good ones. I would show you the one I use but can't find it now. I like it because it asks the seller question about whether they are legal to own the firearm and makes them sign to say they are legal. It also has a space for their drivers license number (and yours) and CHL. I'll try to find it, right now I already have a bunch of copies printed out.

I personally believe it sucks we need forms, but I'm a realist at the same time (thanks to NWFA for providing a good, concise one). I also don't want the government to have free access to my forms anytime they ask, it is intended protect the parties involved in the transaction. Several years back I started using papers on all my sales/purchases. If anything it protects you from the strongarm tactics our government uses now.

I have no issue signing a bill of sale. The seller can have my name and contact information, as well as see my ID's. But after one identity theft problem already, no one gets my ID numbers. And I am not in the habit of giving out my address to people who know I own guns. Maybe I'm paranoid.
When I sell a gun, I do so legally. I make sure I know who I sold the gun to. I generally have their real name, phone number, and screen name. If I ever get questioned about a gun I owned being used in the commission of a crime, I will simply provide all the information I have. The police can obtain a warrant to get actual information regarding the owner of the account. To cover myself, I also prefer to sell to individuals with valid Oregon concealed carry licenses.

Is the buy/seller required to submit any forms to anyone for a pistol sale?

When a seller or buyer uses a BOS it is mainly for their own records.
FFL's have the legal documentation already in place,and even then on occasion they will receive a stolen firearm,but should have a paper trail in place to protect them.
I know of no legal requirement to submit any forms in a FTF sale,other than if you are selling at a gunshow or a NFA item is involved,and those have their own rules.
I am an Oregon resident,other states may differ.
RK

If I have a concern,I tell the buyer to bring 2 copies of their carry permit and their DL.
Then we both sign and date them.
Oh and include the SN's of the guns.

Mostly I buy and sell with cash and a hand shake.
I did ask the last buyers if they were felons.

I too just go on google and just look for a bill of sale that I like and just print it off lol. Also I have heard that the bill of sale is not a legal document in court if it ever came down to it. Anyone know anything about this? I had a friend tell me that his retired judge friend tell him that the bill of sale would not be useful in court as it is not a legal document.

If I have a concern,I tell the buyer to bring 2 copies of their carry permit and their DL.
Then we both sign and date them.
Oh and include the SN's of the guns.

Mostly I buy and sell with cash and a hand shake.
I did ask the last buyers if they were felons.

That is all I do.

If selling and I get even the slightest strange feeling about it, the deal is off. As a buyer, I also don't begrudge any seller for doing the same.

I ASK for a bill of sale when selling a firearm I bought from an FFL, but I so far I have not tried to force anyone to sign one. If it is a gun I got in an FTF deal, I may not even have a BOS showing how I obtained the gun, so I would not ask the buyer to sign one showing he got it from me.

To the OP: The BOS provided in the link by RockKrawler is what I use.

To Biggie24420: Not trying to cause any problems, just wondering... Does your friend think a vehicle bill of sale is a legal document. They seem to do well at the DMV:huh:

I have no issue signing a bill of sale. The seller can have my name and contact information, as well as see my ID's. But after one identity theft problem already, no one gets my ID numbers. And I am not in the habit of giving out my address to people who know I own guns. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Nope, you are not paranoid. I won't even let my Doctors office copy my drivers license for their records (they ask, and demand, and threaten, and say it's federal law). I show it to them and that is all they get. Too many people and organizations think they have a "right" to the personal information of others... and they don't. Conversely, FAR too many people just hand over anything and everything about themselves to strangers, just "because they asked so they must need it".

I am 100% legal to buy and own firearms in Oregon, but don't like leaving a trail when I don't need to. I understand sellers concerns to the point of verifying that I am legal, but get a little unhappy when it morphs into much more than that. Your mileage may vary.

i agree w/moutain bear, besides unless their is restructure states/federal it makes no sense. the actual laws as written have to cover the concerned parties. and i dont care what anybody says these type of sites are/or could be a form of tracking activities intended or not. it is called a electronic trail. remember the term(paper trail)just save your activity pm's, emails etc. keep it simple stupid and no i am not blowing anybody kisses, just facts...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top