JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now are you talking about a steel core or a bimetal jacket?

The misconception is due to your post. I said nothing about bimetal jackets. Of course that exists and is shot frequently.. However you'd be hard pressed to see a fella bump fire true steel core 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 anymore. Not that it doesn't occurs but Ill put money on the fact that other than 54r most guys don't waste steel core ammo thus resulting in a true fire.

Anything can make a "spark". I see it often when shooting steel, but Ive never been able to start a fire, even when we tried.

However there are thousands of variables.. Im not saying it isnt possible its just not likely due to "steel core" ammo.

Not all 5.45X39 is steel core or bimetal jacket. I own some right now that has neither.

I got curious since I'd never heard of something called 36 Pit in all the years I've lived here. That name refers to mile marker 36 on highway 212 and the location is shown here: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4106/

Sure enough, using Google Earth there is what looks like to be a small overgrown gravel pit at this site with an unofficial parking area. I've driven past it hundreds of times and have noticed the turnout, but I figured it was used mostly by boaters/kayakers.

Scanning the area I can understand the initial conclusion that it was caused by people sighting in their rifles prior to hunting season. I can also see the pit used as a place to stop for lunch or a smoke. I can also see (steep, heavily treed canyon walls) how a cigarette thrown out of any passing vehicle could have caused the fire.

Regardless of cause, this is a real tragedy.

Driving down the road to camp or to the Lake, I've regularly seen folks using that gravel pit for shooting, for what it's worth. Only thing it ever really seems to be used for.

Regardless how it started it doesn't help when they interview someone and he very clearly says, "Well it just p i s s e s me off when I hear someone started a fire because they were out shooting" (heard this in the news this morning) Again the act of shooting becomes equated with something negative when it may have not even been the actual cause.

so according to one witness who was there it was started by target shooters whos target ignited into smoke... Makes me think the might have been using tannerite, I don't really know I just cant imagine using any kind of target prone to ignition during a red flag warning. The sad reality is that many non shooters associate target shooting in itself with irresponsible behavior, and if the witness account is true this situation only supports that. I really wish there was something we could do to stem the amount of trash and irresponsible shooting behavior that is prevalent on public lands.

<broken link removed>

FWIW I think this is the gravel pit where the fire started...
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDA_rjXCgw

Meanwhile, he said the group of four people who were shooting in the area didn't stick around to see what happened. Dorfi said he overheard the group saying they "didn't want to get in trouble for this."

Dorfi and his three friends said they all gave investigators statements that included descriptions of the people shooting in the area where the fire started and even a license plate number.

i hope they are prosecuted and lose their right to own firearms. they obviously aren't responsible enough to be trusted with them.

Heard on the radio this morning that other shooters saw it start behind a target. They tried to put it out but it was fast moving and in steep terrain. Did say if the people shooting who caused the fire tried to put it out but did boogy out. The reporting group called fire service and stuck around to talk to them.

Heard on the radio this morning that other shooters saw it start behind a target. They tried to put it out but it was fast moving and in steep terrain. Did say if the people shooting who caused the fire tried to put it out but did boogy out. The reporting group called fire service and stuck around to talk to them.

I still think their cause is bullpucky. What's the background on the ones reporting it. Anyone look into their politics and agenda history ?

have they identified the suspects yet?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top