JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The serial number part shouldn't be an issue... Do ATF get "thee" oilfilter and number it for records? Cuz' any and all filters you can by sure as hell isn't individually numbered!
So nobody could tell 'registered filter A' from 'new filter from NAPA' apart!
The serial number is put on by the SOT not by the maker of the filter like Napa or Fram.
Yes the filter and adapter both go on the record with ATF and they both have the same serial number too.
It is against the law to replace the filter yourself as only a sot can replace a part of a silencer and the
filter is considered the tube and it cant be replace period.

So this is more of a novelty for someone that doesn't want to pay $300 for a real .22 suppressor but doesn't have a problem with the $200 stamp and a trip to the SOT to replace/restamp/destroy the filter from time to time.

The part that has the serial number like the tube on a suppressor cannot be replaced without a new tax stamp, per ATF

Ah, that would be a problem with this "stamped oil filter" idea then. Hrm... There are oil filters that have replaceable innards, (not officially, but you can do it without physically destroying it,) I wonder if they use that kind?

Ah, that would be a problem with this "stamped oil filter" idea then. Hrm... There are oil filters that have replaceable innards, (not officially, but you can do it without physically destroying it,) I wonder if they use that kind?

There are indeed oil filters with replaceable innards. Here is the element for one.

If the NFA part was just the piece that screws into ANY oil filter I would get one; if the ATF was clear that they were OK with that. But as explained in the posts above, just not worth it. Plus, even though it is a fun novelty, it would also attract unwanted attention.

If the NFA part was just the piece that screws into ANY oil filter I would get one; if the ATF was clear that they were OK with that. But as explained in the posts above, just not worth it. Plus, even though it is a fun novelty, it would also attract unwanted attention.
I agree and would have form 1 made a few of these a long time ago if just the adapter was the NFA part.
Not even a $1 in steel and at the most one hour on the machine to make.

ATF wants measurements of the completed can and if repairs are made it is ok to end up shorter but it better not get longer or bigger around. My question is if I am a non SOT and file a form 1 to manufacture my own suppressor how do I know for sure what the final length is if I wish to tune the baffles to be optimum with my weapon/bullet load? Also, if I build one my self and somehow end up with a baffle strike, as the maker I can replace my own parts (at least that is what the ATF implies by saying only mfg can replace parts). I wish Ed O. was still the head of ATF technical branch - he was a good guy and would tell you straight up yes or no on technical questions and if questionable he would usually point you in the direction of how to accomplish building item X legally.

The oil filter has a serial number on it also, but it is just written with a Sharpie.

I have one here to transfer for a forum member that ordered one.
Are the oil filter silencers user serviceable; can the owner replace the filter when it is worn out like they can replace wipes without paying another $200 tax? Or must the adapter be sent to an SOT class 2 for replacement? Thanks.

Ranb

My question is if I am a non SOT and file a form 1 to manufacture my own suppressor how do I know for sure what the final length is if I wish to tune the baffles to be optimum with my weapon/bullet load?
Carefully plan it out on paper prior to deciding what length you want. If it is a bit shorter than speciified on the form 1, then it is no problem.

Also, if I build one my self and somehow end up with a baffle strike, as the maker I can replace my own parts (at least that is what the ATF implies by saying only mfg can replace parts).
You are not a manufacturer unless you have an FFL/SOT class 2. The US code defines what a manufacturer is. You are a maker of a silencer when making one on an ATF form 1. You can make replacement parts as long as you submit another ATF form 1 and pay another $200 tax. Otherwise you need to send it to an SOT for parts replacement.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top