JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I couldn't believe it when I saw it because it looks like something homemade, but wow.

Impractical, of course, but what fun this would be.

The looks you'd get with an oil can attached to your rifle! Legal, $275 all in, inc stamp. Thinking about it. (Did a search for "Econo-Can" and had -0- results so hopefully this is a new subject)

I would get the biggest, most obnoxious, neon colored oil filter I could find. Oh wait, the oil filter comes with it and is serialized also; not so great.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was just the serialized nut/part that was the suppressor and you could just use whatever oil filter you want on it I'd go for it. Trying to find out if that is the case.
Then you would have just the little flat adapter and that would be the complete NFA part.

I am sure you'd get asked to see your Form 4 with this thing all the time. More than any other suppressor. It just looks like you just stuck an oil filter on the end of your rifle and that is the appeal. $75 + $10 shipping is nice of course.

The looks it would get at the pistol range would make it all worthwhile. This thing on the end of a Nagant revolver .....

You did see that he sells the same adapter as a "solvent trap" so you can "capture and reuse" your bore solvent in a convenient oil filter... Makes you wonder how many NFA oil filter adapters he has sold vs solvent trap oil filter adapters. want to bet that the price is the same $75 regardless of which one you order- just one gets a tax stamp and a serialized oil filter.

I believe the adapter is the only part with the serial number.
Any machinist could make the adapter for you.Then you would have to get it registered,I would guess,before using it.
Just pick the threads of your car or truck's oil filter and you would always have a silencer when the yotes come for the chickens.

Good luck getting one to be registered and legal to use as a suppressor or filter silencer unless you register the filter with it.
ATF says you cant replace a silencer without another $200 stamp, so this would make a filter silencer worthless
since most of them have cardboard guts inside that wont last long.
Remember the coke bottle adapters that they said was a no go.

Since oil filters don't come with a nielsen device this may not allow any tilt barrel handguns to cycle. Plus you may need to do some looking to find 4" high sights if you want to use sights!
I thought you couldn't even have spare wipes for suppressors, makes me wonder if the guy that buys oil filters by the case could be charged with several counts of contructive posession if he owned one of those adapters! It's a neat idea but seems like it could attract a lot of hassle or trouble.

Don't suppressor manufacturers often make the part the screws onto the weapon the serialized part and then the rest of it (tube, baffles) is not? So if you have a baffle strike or other damage you don't have to get another $200 stamp? Sounds like the same kind of deal, but only it is an oil filter. I would want reassurances that is all ok though, including from the ATF. A letter from the ATF like the one that comes with a slide stock would be nice.

Super fun looking idea, but personally not interested in anything that is questionable with the law. Either is in written in stone or forget it. Also, since it is only $75 there isn't much point in going to a machine shop.

A picatinny rail riser would take care of the clearance for a sight.

Response below; filter is serialized also, kind of let the air out of my sails. Still cool/fun though I am sure.

The Econo Can Suppressor the adapter part is round in shape and threads on to an oil filter for the purpose of shooting though the oil filter and working as a silencer. The adapter part also has the manufacture name Cadiz Gun Works, Jewett, OH and is serial numbered and the oil filter is serial numbered to the adapter. The Econo Can Suppressor is a NFA registered product and transfers on a form 3 to your FFL/SOT dealer. Then you do a ATF Form 4 to register to you. The cost is $75.00 plus $10.00 S&H. The Econo Can Suppressor currently comes in two different thread sizes. 1/2 x 28 right hand threads and 14x1 left hand threads and more sizes coming soon. When the Econo-Can is shipped to you it comes with the Chevy, V8, 350 oil filter attached. The oil filter is serial numbered to the adapter piece. We register it as a complete unit.
The Econo can is available and can ship to a FFL/SOT dealer in your state on a form 3. We will need a signed copy of their license. FFL/SOT may be emailed to [email protected]. If you need help locating a dealer, let me know.

After we know which dealer is doing your transfer, at that point you would do an ATF form 4 and submit to the ATF/NFA Branch with $200.00 for your Tax Stamp to get it registered in your name or Trust. Your local dealer or Telia here at Cadiz Gun Works can help you with filling out that paperwork (Form 4).

We accept money orders, checks, and credit cards (+3%).
Payment can be sent to CADIZ GUN WORKS, PO BOX 126, CADIZ, OHIO 43907-0126
Credit card payments accepted over the phone. Call 740 942-3175.

To order or if you need further assistance. Call (740) 942-3175 or email [email protected]

Redtazdog has it right. The filter itself is serialized, it will wear out, and if you replace it on your own you are breaking existing fed law.

I'm not arguing the logic of the law - can't do that with NFA... I'm calling attention to it for anyone who reads this.

When/if you get a baffle strike on a 'normal' can and send it back to GemTech, AAC, Thompson Machine, whoever - they can replace the baffles without another stamp b/c they are a SOT manufacturer of suppressors. You or I can't / couldn't put a replacement baffle in a can, nor could we keep replacement baffles around the house.

If you factor in the durability - these become novelties, but are not 'deals' in the legal sense.

About twenty years ago I used to see the coke bottle adapters and it gave me the idea of making a form 1 adapter and using
one of my small quad oil filters as they are small enough for a 22 but not as big as the car filters then ATF got wind of the
soda bottle adapters and made a new rule.
At gun shows I also used to see tubes with end caps on one table and across the room would be another table
selling just baffles and soon after ATF made the rule that any part of a silencer is conidered a entire silencer.

The serial number part shouldn't be an issue... Do ATF get "thee" oilfilter and number it for records? Cuz' any and all filters you can by sure as hell isn't individually numbered!
So nobody could tell 'registered filter A' from 'new filter from NAPA' apart!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top