JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
looking to buy one, considering options. I am wanting a high capacity 45.

Looked at the Glock model 21.... too big in the grip for my small hands. No way could I get comfortable with it.

compared to the Glock 21 SF (small frame), better, I could live with this one but not eagerly.A stretch, but doable.

Looked at the FN P-45, very comfortable for my hand. Don't have any info on reliability, durability, etc, beyond FN's excellent reputation. Price is almost the samr, so not an issue.

Any personal experience with the FN?

Any other guns in the same category in regards size, mag capacity (at LEAST 13), quality?

weight not that critical, cost a factor but I'm willing to invest what I need to for the "right" piece. Cheaper would mean I'd be less hesitant to take anywhere, though. I'd consider it to be more "expendible" if less dear.

any factual input appreciated.(anecdotal, or opinion-based also welcome)

thanks in advance

Haven't looked specifically at the .45's in the XD's, but in general I don't care for the feel and features of the XD's. I bought an XD 9, then discovered the Browning High Power. No comparison. The BHP "FEELS" right and solid, the XD cheap and flimsy.

I've owned both an FNP-45 and Glock 21, I got rid of the glock pretty quickly because I just couldn't live with it, but I still have, and will probably always have the FNP, its a great gun, its pretty huge overall, but the grip is not as bad as a G21, plus its a higher capacity magazine (14 or 15rd mags available). I've never had a hiccup with it, it does exactly what its asked to do, but then again so does the glock, or any service pistol.

Can't speak for any other pistols mentioned, but I have owned 2 XD-45's
and currently own a compact XD-45 that came with a 10 and 13
round magazine. Never had a single issue with either pistol and they
will fire anything that I have fed them.

STI Tactical 4.15:
sti_tactical_4.gif

If you like 1911, you may also want to consider the P14-45. Personally, I would go with the Limited version. I have had one for years. It has always been flawless. Its a bit big, but not nearly as big as the G21.

I also have a G30SF with some 13 round mags. I can carry the G30SF pretty easily and still have backup 13 round mags on me.

the small mag size of the S&W would steer me away from it. I've already got a full sized Kimber, almost the same capacity, so I'd not gain much.

The HK is another, not actually seen one but that's easy enough fixed (I'm sure one will bit me on the leg at Puyallup tomorrow....) the pics I've seen do show it as about the same frame size as the FN. Smaller than any of the Glocks....

not yet seen the G 30 SF.. but have handled the 21 SF. As I mentioned this one is marginally large for my hand.

I will have to check out the HK.. there is one in classifieds right now, a bit high in price, but within the same range. I can buy the FN brand new for low-$600's, Glock almost the same money. Add shipping and FFL fees.... still quite a bit less dear than the used HK, which I think was $770. I know HK's to be very high quality pieces, so no issues there. No word on reliability.... no experience, not been exposed to them, though in general HK has a superb reputation.

any feedback on HK's for service reliability?

so far, the FN is strongly in the lead.... with the HK, IF it fits my hand well, close enough behind to yet be in the hunt. Mag capacity difference of three rounds is, well significant, but not a deal breaker. Twelve is a LOT more than a single stack 1911/Kimber..... but fifteen is more better, too.

Oh, and Swoop, the exact model you have, the bi-tone, is the one I'd want. Very pleasing to the eye, yet not screaming "notice me". Cabelas have both that one, and the all-black verion, and the warm bi-tone gets it, for me anyway. Black is OK, but having some aesthetic appeal can't hurt. ALL guns don't have to be ugly.

I tried out a lot of hicap .45's and hands down the FNP45 was the best for me.
I have had mine for over a year and have zero issues with it.
Well balanced, points natural, and is a surprisingly soft shooter.
Very fast follow up shots are no problem.

P1010147.jpg

I pack it in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
P1010116.jpg

P1010117.jpg

Night sights are now available from Ameriglo and there are now plenty of holsters that are made specifically for it.

Pure Kustoms has a nice dual role, IWB/OWB holster for it that I want to get one of these days.

Except I've never heard of anything wrong with the Springfield Mags in comparison with the P-14 mags.

30 seconds of Google:

"My High-cap works with para mags (even better than with the magazines that came with the gun)."

And the frames are made in Brazil.

My Canadian Para is closer to "Made in USA". :D