Discover the dirty little secret of the Discover Pass

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Dave Workman, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

0   0   0
    Starting today, sportsmen will discover the ‘Discover Pass’

Hunting seasons are still weeks away, but starting today – and worth thinking about over the 4th of July holiday weekend when we celebrate the birth of this nation (and reflect why taxation played a major role in the revolution) – many outdoorsmen and women may discover this state’s “Discover Pass” requirement the hard way.

Starting today, sportsmen will discover the
  2. Grommit327

Grommit327 Active Member

14   0   0
    I wish I could stop getting conflicting statements on whether its just for rec areas or all DNR managed lands. Different people who should know say different things. Lots of people that use the land don't have a clue about this though
  3. Dave Workman

0   0   0
    Believe me, I sympathize with you. Some state guy is probably going to say I am wrong in the column, but I got the information this morning from two different people at WDFW.

Think about this, though: A confused public is easier to ticket than people who get the same story from all different sources so they are all on the same page.

It's like the IRS holding you responsible even when they give you the wrong information.

A "disinformation" effort can provide some fertile wallets come citation and court time. At $99 a pop, say they hand out 10,000 tickets this weekend. Do the math. In 6 months time, they'll be rolling in dough.
  4. Grommit327

Grommit327 Active Member

14   0   0
    I was told there is one guy (retired WSP) for 5 counties down here doing the patrolling so I imagine the chances of seeing him are slim. I will be testing the waters this weekend as the DNR land is practically my backyard and I don't feel like giving in to their additional taxes quite yet
  5. PBinWA

PBinWA Active Member

27   0   0
    Its always nice when government works hard to makes it easy for otherwise law abiding citizens break the law.

I suspect we need to start collecting signatures to get this thing turfed via referendum. Is that what needs to be done?
  6. PBinWA

PBinWA Active Member

27   0   0
    The worst part is that it is $30 per vehicle.
  7. speterson

speterson New Member

0   0   0
    I heard if you have a fishing or hunting license with a vehicle use permit you don't need a discover pass
  8. Mica

Mica Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5   0   0
    I cant stand the fact that we have to pay to park or recreate in alot of the forest areas. I understand the facts about vandalism and abuse. however, I think our tax dollars that we pay into the system should suffice. but then you also have the problem of lack of personal acountabilty by the few that like to trash our state and fed lands
  9. Grommit327

Grommit327 Active Member

14   0   0
    So looks like the WDFW access pass won't work for DNR rec areas but again this is the gray area I get conflicting info on. I also don't get the prior to July 1st tidbit. My vehicle access pass isn't good if I buy my license after the first or are they ceasing to issue them?
  10. Trlsmn

Trlsmn Moderator Staff Member

32   0   0
    So it cost $35 with dealer fee and the ticket is $99 and it's hard to know where it is needed? and it's hard to enforce? I'd roll the dice and not pay for the pass and take the chance on the ticket.

You'll never find odds that much in your favor in Vegas. ;)

When I used to ski I would just stick a piece of colored paper in the window where you stick the sno park permit, it is not forgery since it has no writing but it will fool a passing police car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :thumbup:
  11. jimwsea

jimwsea Active Member

24   0   0
    I just came back from hiking up Hamilton Mtn. We saw tickets on a few cars in the parking lot at 10am. Revenuers up and at it already...no grace period.
  12. PBinWA

PBinWA Active Member

27   0   0
    I wonder if the Rainbow Gathering people will get any tickets . . . 2011 Annual Rainbow Gathering - When & Where

I also wonder if any tickets will be given out for all the vehicles in the tarp villages I see in the forests.

Something tells me they will only be targeting the average law abiding (and tax paying) citizen out for a weekend activity.
  13. EMP9596

EMP9596 Active Member

10   0   0
  14. MarkAd

MarkAd Well-Known Member

4   0   0
    If not for this forum i would not have any knowledge of this issue. They can kiss my flully grits.
    Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Gunwheeler

Gunwheeler Member

4   0   0
  16. xd2005

xd2005 New Member

3   0   0
    While it might be difficult to determine if it's required prior to heading out, the location will be posted if a Discover Pass is required.
  17. rufus

rufus Well-Known Member

2   0   0
    Many years ago, I lived in southern California and was an avid off-road motorcyclist. My buddies and I would go riding almost every weekend, often in National Forests.

We had to deal with something called a Forest Adventure Pass. The Forest Service rangers would come around and hand out "tickets" if you were not displaying your pass.

Over the years, I collected 17 tickets - none of them were ever dealt with other than being thrown straight into the campfire, sometimes right in front of the forest ranger.

This whole forest adventure pass scam was a pilot project to see how many people were dumb enough to pay. Too many were, and now we have this discovery thing. You cannot let these crooks dream-up ways to pry money out of your wallet. Once they can demonstrate the "project" works, the door is open for business.
    Redcap, iusmc2002, Trlsmn and 5 others like this.
  18. Ought Six

Ought Six Active Member

0   0   0
    This is no 'pilot program'. It has been signed into law.

Governor signs Discover Pass into law | WDFW News Release
  19. sig40shooter

sig40shooter Member

0   0   0
    So I just got off the phone with the Discover pass help line. So everyone knows, If you have multiple vehicles that you will use on the lands that a pass is required you must purchase a pass for each vehicle at 30 bucks each. I am quickly changing my views on the state's motivation for this pass. They are very capable of making this pass transferable between 2 vehicles as they do with fishing licenses however they CHOOSE not too. I understand the need to help pay for maintenence during our economic state but gouging the citizens seems a bit unfair. Does anyone have any idea what the result would be if you just refuse to buy a pass and refuse to pay the fines? Something tells me that they would not allow you to renew your vehicle license/tabs. I am not sure.
  20. Dave Workman

0   0   0

Ah, yes. The old Democrat strategy...ream 'til they scream.
    And then ream 'em some more.

This is such a sorry POS hidden tax.. BOHICA...