Like Northwest Firearms? We could use your help! Click here to read about the current status of NWFA

Converting 10 round mag to 5 round mag

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by nwwoodsman, Oct 5, 2012.

1. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Well-Known Member

14   0   0
    Decided I want to use my sks when I'm out scaring deer away this weekend. Anyone think it would be legal to put a block in my 10 round mag to make it only hold 5 rounds?
  2. Nwcid

Nwcid Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporter

19   0   0
    I dont know why it would not be. That is all they do to make shotguns hold the 3 rounds for hunting.....
  3. JackThompson

JackThompson Well-Known Member

13   0   0
    Seems to me you used to be able to use the 10 round mag. (Last I checked was 20 years ago)

Does anyone make a 5 round mag for the SkS?
  4. nwwoodsman

14   0   0
    That's my line of reasoning. However this is Oregon and sometimes the law varies depending on the officers mood and I don't want to chance a ticket.
  5. JackThompson

JackThompson Well-Known Member

13   0   0
  6. DieselScout

DieselScout Well-Known Member

7   0   0
    Search sks lego magazine plug. You can use 3 lego blocks to make a plug. I used the to size a piece of UHMW for my buddy's sks and we took it out on Wednesday. Just drop it into the bottom of the magazine and i cant be removed from the top.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5   0   0
    A padded wooden plug under the follower of my 10 rnd M-1A magazine is how I did it. It never came up with a LEO though.
    Tacticool22 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. nwwoodsman

14   0   0
    Have you ever had a run in with a stater while carrying this?
  9. Mark W.

Mark W. Well-Known Member

35   0   0
    Centerfire firearm
    ■■Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
    ■■Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).
    ■■Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.
    ■■Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during
    centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species.

The above is a direct cut and paste from the ODFW Big Game regs.

The method used for checking this (I have had this done 3 times with shotguns and rifles. Is the officer will attempt to load more then the legally allowed number of rounds. If the weapon will not accept more then the legally allowed number of rounds the magazine capacity is found to be legal.

SO if placing 3 legos in the bottom of a 10rd SKS mag will keep 6 rounds from being placed in the weapons magazine it would legal. this would allow a rifle to hold a MAX of 6 rounds should one round be chambered.

I have 5 round magazines for my M1 carbine bought for hunting. And it allows a round to be chambered and a full 5 round mag to be inserted.

I am not a lawyer nor is this legal advise. I have been hunting big game in Oregon following every rule in the book for 44 years so take what I say as free advise nothing more.
  10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Well-Known Member

12   0   0
    A hunters ed teacher said there is no restriction for capacity on rifles in WA
  11. nwwoodsman

14   0   0
    Thanks for the info Mark. As I was getting ready to raid my kids toy box I got a call from a friend who had a 5 round mag readily available
  12. Nwcid

19   0   0
    Does not matter what a Hunters Ed Teacher says. What matters is what the actual law says. In this case he is correct, there is no law in WA limiting the amount of ammo you can have in your gun. Of course even in WA you have to follow the Federal law of 3rds for migratory birds.
  13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Well-Known Member

12   0   0
    Kinda figured since he was teaching the hunting laws,he might actually know them.
    Just sayin
  14. PBinWA

PBinWA Active Member

27   0   0
    In Canada, they just drill and rivet/pin the magazines so the follower only allows X number of rounds. They have those mag restrictions up there. Of course, no one up there ever removes the pins or rivets. ;)
  15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5   0   0
    No, so I have no idea if it was legit.
  16. Nwcid

19   0   0
    I only wish that were really true, not the world we live in though. You should have heard the things the GF and her kid came home and told me about what the hunters ed teacher had to say on a few subjects. They were far from true. Dont recall what they were now, but I wanted to go have a chat with the guy. GF would not let me since the needed the class.......
  17. DieselScout

DieselScout Well-Known Member

7   0   0
    The plug that I made for my buddy out of UHMW plastic was run by a trooper over the phone and he told us it was good to go. As long as it isn't easily removed. If its in the bottom of the magazine it cant be pulled out of the top.
    Tacticool22 and (deleted member) like this.