Concealed rifle center console

Discussion in 'Legal & Political' started by Smiddy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Smiddy

Smiddy Active Member

7   0   0
    [​IMG]

Any one have opinion on the legalities of this setup in Oregon for everyday use (not a hunting trip). I'm pretty sure this would be a no-no in Washington and Oregon I'm a little unsure on. I dont see a lock on the box, so claiming "locked glove box" probable wont work. If it did have a lock would it be legit?
  2. SCannon

SCannon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10   0   0
    If you have a CWL, I don't think it would be a problem, actually gives me some idea's.
  3. Nwcid

Nwcid Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporter

19   0   0
    No idea about OR but it would be 100% legal in WA for sure. Only real illegal way to carry a long gun in WA is loaded.
  4. Smiddy

Smiddy Active Member

7   0   0
    POST#100 - YEAH!!! I think I'll have a beer to celebrate.

Right...in this picture he's got a mag in the rifle so I'm assuming its loaded and the builders goal is to have a rifle that he can grab and fire at moments notice.

However for the legal discussion lets assume the rifle isn't loaded but there is a loaded magazine available to quickly pop in the rifle.

I think its a great set up and gives me ideas as well but legalities are important to consider.
  5. Mark W.

Mark W. Well-Known Member

35   0   0
    A CHL has NOTHING to do with a rifle in Oregon.

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
    a) Not concealed or
    b) “Not readily accesible.”

“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
    (b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
    (A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
    (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

As I see it if the handgun in the photo is loaded the owner or someone in that auto best have a CHL. If the consol lid is closed.

As to the rifle others will have to comment.

There is no law against carrying loaded magazines. In fact, Oregon has no law against carrying loaded rifles in your car. Localities may restrict loaded carry of firearms by persons without concealed handgun licenses, but only in public places, . IMPORTANT UPDATE.THE OREGON COURT OF APPEALS HAS RULED THAT YOUR CAR IS A PUBLIC PLACE AND LOCAL PROHIBITIONS AGAINST OPEN CARRY APPLY IN YOUR CAR!
  6. OFADAN

OFADAN Well-Known Member

6   0   0
    Disregard, found it.
  7. macdougall29

macdougall29 Active Member

23   0   0
    I love this set-up! :worship:

I don't think I can do it in my Prius however?:lolbeat: But I might try anyway!
  8. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Well-Known Member

13   0   0
    That's one WIDE center console.
  9. mosinguy

mosinguy Member

3   0   0
    I like that set up a shotgun, ar and 45 with ammo and all readily accesable, and that set up would work in my truck. Oh and room for a fishin pole too.
  10. Redcap

Redcap Well-Known Member

3   0   0
    Interesting. I might have to fabricate something like that for my F600.
  11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

6   0   0
    That's something I've thought about.

In most trucks there's plenty of room under the flat bottomed console around the driveshaft hump. Raise the console a couple inches and use it normally but hinge it so you can flip it up the to the rear and access the firearm underneath. That or have a console tray that you can fling out to get to the firearms under it.

You won't want to fiddling w keys plus the keyhole would call attention to the compartment. An electric lock could be toggled via a hidden switch that only works when the key is on and/or in conjunction with another switches position.
  12. deen_ad

deen_ad Well-Known Member

12   0   0
    And in WA all you have to do is be sure the loaded mag isn't LOCKED in the well, nor a shell loaded in the chamber.

In Portland you can't have a loaded mag near the long gun, they have to be unloaded.
    Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  13. fd15k

fd15k Well-Known Member

72   0   1
    Mark, that is not accurate. CHL (despite the word Handgun in the name) provided exemptions are applicable to ALL firearms. And besides the state law, it also provides exemptions against Federal GFSZA.
    Asp and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Drat

Drat New Member

0   0   0
    So you can carry a loaded concealed rifle in Oregon with a chl? I had no idea. Where is the verbage on this or is it just an interpretation?
  15. Thebastidge

Thebastidge Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

2519 NE 4th Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98661
    0   0   0
    No a CHL doesn't allow you to conceal a loaded or unloaded rifle. But it does affect the local ordinances prohibiting loaded firearms openly carried in Portland and other cities. Without the CHL, these municipalities may regulate loaded firearms. With the CHL, you are exempted from restrictions on loaded firearms (not just loaded pistols.)
  16. Thebastidge

Thebastidge Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

2519 NE 4th Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98661
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure that is accurate. It would also be very difficult to prove that the magazine in the well wasn't locked in if the officer should push it that extra fraction of an inch.

As for Portland, loaded magazines are not loaded firearms. It's perfectly acceptable to have a loaded magazine not inserted into the firearm openly carried without a CHL. With the CHL, open or concealed you are exempted from local ordinances.
  17. fd15k

fd15k Well-Known Member

72   0   1
    Concealing any firearm is prohibited by ORS 166.250 :

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
    (a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

ORS 166.260 provides an exemption for persons with CHL :

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
    (h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

166.260(h) doesn't say "you are exempted only if the firearm is a handgun", it says "you are exempted if you have a CHL " ;)
  18. fd15k

fd15k Well-Known Member

72   0   1
    See my post above.
  19. Mark W.

Mark W. Well-Known Member

35   0   0
    I'll concede your point.
  20. plasticfood

plasticfood New Member

1   0   0
    That looks like a serious jackpot to a lucky car thief. I just read another post from a guy who lost his 9mm in an auto brake in. I would be way to paranoid leaving that much fire power in public just behind some glass.