JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any one have opinion on the legalities of this setup in Oregon for everyday use (not a hunting trip). I'm pretty sure this would be a no-no in Washington and Oregon I'm a little unsure on. I dont see a lock on the box, so claiming "locked glove box" probable wont work. If it did have a lock would it be legit?

POST#100 - YEAH!!! I think I'll have a beer to celebrate.

Right...in this picture he's got a mag in the rifle so I'm assuming its loaded and the builders goal is to have a rifle that he can grab and fire at moments notice.

However for the legal discussion lets assume the rifle isn't loaded but there is a loaded magazine available to quickly pop in the rifle.

I think its a great set up and gives me ideas as well but legalities are important to consider.

A CHL has NOTHING to do with a rifle in Oregon.

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
a) Not concealed or
b) "Not readily accesible."

"Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

As I see it if the handgun in the photo is loaded the owner or someone in that auto best have a CHL. If the consol lid is closed.

As to the rifle others will have to comment.

There is no law against carrying loaded magazines. In fact, Oregon has no law against carrying loaded rifles in your car. Localities may restrict loaded carry of firearms by persons without concealed handgun licenses, but only in public places, . IMPORTANT UPDATE.THE OREGON COURT OF APPEALS HAS RULED THAT YOUR CAR IS A PUBLIC PLACE AND LOCAL PROHIBITIONS AGAINST OPEN CARRY APPLY IN YOUR CAR!

That's something I've thought about.

In most trucks there's plenty of room under the flat bottomed console around the driveshaft hump. Raise the console a couple inches and use it normally but hinge it so you can flip it up the to the rear and access the firearm underneath. That or have a console tray that you can fling out to get to the firearms under it.

You won't want to fiddling w keys plus the keyhole would call attention to the compartment. An electric lock could be toggled via a hidden switch that only works when the key is on and/or in conjunction with another switches position.

No idea about OR but it would be 100% legal in WA for sure. Only real illegal way to carry a long gun in WA is loaded.
And in WA all you have to do is be sure the loaded mag isn't LOCKED in the well, nor a shell loaded in the chamber.

In Portland you can't have a loaded mag near the long gun, they have to be unloaded.

So you can carry a loaded concealed rifle in Oregon with a chl? I had no idea. Where is the verbage on this or is it just an interpretation?

No a CHL doesn't allow you to conceal a loaded or unloaded rifle. But it does affect the local ordinances prohibiting loaded firearms openly carried in Portland and other cities. Without the CHL, these municipalities may regulate loaded firearms. With the CHL, you are exempted from restrictions on loaded firearms (not just loaded pistols.)

And in WA all you have to do is be sure the loaded mag isn't LOCKED in the well, nor a shell loaded in the chamber.

In Portland you can't have a loaded mag near the long gun, they have to be unloaded.

I'm not sure that is accurate. It would also be very difficult to prove that the magazine in the well wasn't locked in if the officer should push it that extra fraction of an inch.

As for Portland, loaded magazines are not loaded firearms. It's perfectly acceptable to have a loaded magazine not inserted into the firearm openly carried without a CHL. With the CHL, open or concealed you are exempted from local ordinances.

So you can carry a loaded concealed rifle in Oregon with a chl? I had no idea. Where is the verbage on this or is it just an interpretation?

Concealing any firearm is prohibited by ORS 166.250 :

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

ORS 166.260 provides an exemption for persons with CHL :

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

166.260(h) doesn't say "you are exempted only if the firearm is a handgun", it says "you are exempted if you have a CHL " ;)

That looks like a serious jackpot to a lucky car thief. I just read another post from a guy who lost his 9mm in an auto brake in. I would be way to paranoid leaving that much fire power in public just behind some glass.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top