JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are they official DNR signs? If not I can easily see an annoyed local resident doing that to try to stop people from shooting. Give them a call about it on Monday and ask for sure. Contact info is Brian Poehlein, Pacific Cascade Region, Public Use District Manager Washington State Department of Natural Resources 360-577-2025.

I don't know, a friend told me of the signs the day I made the post. He did say the signs have RCW codes on them though.

I'll give Brian a call on this, thanks.

I also found on the internet, Friends of Capitol Forest. This group of Bike riders cleaned up the forest supposedly. Seems they can do what ever they want, include designate no shooting areas wih BLM approval.

Yes, they are legit DNR signs. They are posted along the "C" line road all the way to the top. However, the lower and upper pits are still open. They've posted signs in places that, according to the rules, are off limits to shooting anyway. I checked with a DNR law enforcement officer on Sunday AM (he was checking on my Discovery pass), and he confirmed this. Also - as a side note, any trash you haul out of the pits can be left alongside the gate at the pit to the Waddell Y. DNR will haul it off.

I not only am an avid shooting supporter, but have also been shot at in Capitol Forest while mountain bike riding. Now they were not aiming at me, they were idiots shooting off a landing above a trail system. The Friends of Capitol Forest (FOCF) are not anti-gun, just anti-getting shot on public land. People seem to think it's cool to pull up to any landing or overlook and start launching rounds into the forest. There are horse, bike and quad trails all over that mountain. Knowing your backstop means, well knowing your backstop, not just shooting into the woods! On more than one occasion I've driven up and seen random dudes parked at the top of a clearcut dumping mags out of their AKs or ARs not knowing what is at the bottom of that clearcut. Please use some common sense in Capitol Forest, I might just shoot back next time!

I not only am an avid shooting supporter, but have also been shot at in Capitol Forest while mountain bike riding. Now they were not aiming at me, they were idiots shooting off a landing above a trail system. The Friends of Capitol Forest (FOCF) are not anti-gun, just anti-getting shot on public land. People seem to think it's cool to pull up to any landing or overlook and start launching rounds into the forest. There are horse, bike and quad trails all over that mountain. Knowing your backstop means, well knowing your backstop, not just shooting into the woods! On more than one occasion I've driven up and seen random dudes parked at the top of a clearcut dumping mags out of their AKs or ARs not knowing what is at the bottom of that clearcut. Please use some common sense in Capitol Forest, I might just shoot back next time!

How about all the cool targets they bring up with them (and leave) like TV's, furniture, and plastic bottles?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top