JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How important is public support for the 2nd amendment for our President?

The Conservatives and some Libertarians are starting their "polling" to see who should be their candidates.
Had I seen this, I would have selected Governor Perry in those polls:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/373172/perry-warns-kimmel-i-do-interviews-gun-andrew-johnson
"Kimmel later asked Perry about a reported story that he shot a coyote while jogging, which the governor confirmed. "You jog with a gun?" Kimmel asked. "I do interviews with a gun," Perry slickly quipped."

The 2nd is not on the top of my list. My top spot goes to reducing the size (scope) of the Federal government. Getting the G out of our personal lives at every opportunity.

disclosure: I am in the Gary Johnson (former Governor NM) camp. Or, I guess for those who are 'hip,'
Team Johnson. (maybe that is so last year, I am definitely not hip. definately.)

I would say the 2nd Amendment is at the top of my list, not so much because guns are the most important thing in my life, but because individual freedom and respect for civil liberties is probably most important, followed by competence in handling the economy, etc....I will not give my vote to any candidate who does not have a record of upholding and defending the Consitution.

I would say civil rights are on the top of my list. We don't need another president that allows the growth of the NSA, TSA, and DHS. These agencies have single handedly contributed more to the degradation of the Constitution than any other segment in the history of our country. The Constitution is the guarantee of our civil rights, and bearing arms is one of those rights.

2nd Amendment first. The growth of the NSA, TSA, and DHS etc. is a problem with both parties. Some of the ones that say they are against these things are severely anti-gun and problematic in other areas.
We keep our gun rights as an insurance policy against the further erosion of our privacy and civil liberties.
Politicians who make hay about not baking cakes for gay weddings just seem to be pandering. There are other bakeries but there won't be another 2nd A once it's gone!
I vote 2nd Amendment!

Last Edited:
Just a reminder to keep this firearm related guys.

Personally, the 2A is a qualifier. I won't vote for someone who isn't a supporter of the 2A.

Support of the Second Amendment is a deal/no deal proposition to me as well. As the list shortens I'm going to be watching for other things, DHS, included. The 2A is the name of the horse that all the other rights ride upon, and right now she's carrying an awful lot of weight.

A 2A supporter is very important to me but, somehow when they get in office they are all to willing to flip on various positions.

$230 to get a CPL in Texas, with mandatory classes to get one and $70 renewals, also open carry is banned statewide CPL or not. Texas blows as far as gun laws, i'd never vote for Perry, but mainly because he comes across as a fool.

I would say the 2nd Amendment is at the top of my list, not so much because guns are the most important thing in my life, but because individual freedom and respect for civil liberties is probably most important, followed by competence in handling the economy, etc....I will not give my vote to any candidate who does not have a record of upholding and defending the Consitution.

Well stated...that describes my feeling on the question.

Rand Paul has a good record on guns and civil liberties, and looks like a good antidote to the Democrat and Republican excesses of the past 12 years. He may also attract support from younger voters that are turned off by the other GOP candidates.

I'd vote for him in a heartbeat, but I know my wife won't.

I just hope the GOP doesn't put up someone like Christie or another Bush. Then it's going to be like that South Park episode, choosing between a giant ***** or a #### sandwich! :mad:

2A is my important issue in the election. NSA, DHS, IRS and every other acronym that intrudes on my life will not change anytime soon. Once the Federal government has some modicum of control, trying to take it away from them is extremely difficult. Hence we see certain programs not only continued from one regime to the next, but expanded. The 2A is the right that we as the people have, that protects the other rights we enjoy. Or at least in theory.

I don't trust politicians in general. They'll say just about anything they need for their current audience in order to get their support. Once they get into office, their actions and choices are far more likely to be dictated by those around them, their friends, special interest groups and all those they had to sell themselves to in order to get elected. I've seen more than one politician that spoke loudly in support of our right to bear arms, yet jump on the anti-gun bandwagon when they get pressured from their higher ups. The 2nd amendment will be important in my choice, but they are going to have to go beyond saying they support the 2nd, they are going to have to further clarify the right to own/carry for personal protection.

Just as important, there are elections this fall that will determine the makeup of the house and senate. If Republicans take control, they have a chance to turn things around and show just how ineffective the Dems have been. Politicians should be pressed, and pressed hard, about their records on voting for 2A measures and about their thoughts on gun rights. If they are Democrats, it's also important to ask how much Bloomberg, and other anti-gun groups have contributed to their campaigns.

This is how I feel. Ill add that if you compromise your RTKBA then all your other rights are already compromised.

I think the only reason to vote for a candidate that is pro 2A and has your interests in mind,is so when the next president is picked buy TPTB,we will have shown we got smarter after they picked the one that's there now.

I kinda feel like TPTB just want to see how stupid the American public has become by putting obbumma types up for election.
Heck,if the public allows Hillary to even get on the ticket,they will know we are about the stupidest country in the world and they can get away with whatever they want.

Candidates for President
GrpCaptainMandrake - First let me congratulate you on your name - a personal hero of mine for helping to defend our precious bodily fluids.
2A is important but 4A is the key, IMO:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Who ever I vote for will have to have a good record in the constitution, 2nd Amendment and all thing contained within. I heard too many say that even though Obama had a bad record, he would never push gun control. I hope this Obama experience taught everyone a lesson about looking at a politicians past history to see if they qualify for a vote.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top