JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello... I work at an FFL and I conduct background checks and process the 4473 forms all day long, and I had to pass a background check to work there. But I recieved a DUII over a year ago and am on bench probation through Multnomah County, Oregon. I have no felonies and nothing on my record that would disqualify me based on the questions asked on the 4473 form. However, I don't know if I would be "denied" if I were to go in and purchase one based on the fact that I am on bench probation. From what I can gather, not being able to purchase/own a firearm isn't one of the criterias of my bench probation. I want to purchase a firearm at my work, but I don't want to go through the embarassment and possible repercussions if I were to be denied. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!
-Scott

I don't see why not a duii does not disqualify you from owning carrying or buying a firearm
why don't you do a N.I.C.S. check on yourself they don't track them over the course of one day

Thanks for the input so far! Yeah, it's not a felony DUII conviction, it's just the fact that I am currently on bench probation (not actual probation where I need to report in, etc) that concerns me.

Yeah you can buy a gun. They might put a hold on you but you'll pass eventually. I have duii experience and lots of guns. They put a dang hold on me every time but I have a McMillionare rapsheet...lol. I got my chl with 3 duii's and some other driving stuff on my record. I quit drinking for obvious reasons...

I think to be safe it would be best to just call your local sheriff's office or the OSP since they are the ones who handle the background checks and find out from them, I would not chance something like this with the opinions of a bunch of people who THINK THEY KNOW...

It is not a new crime but is a violation of your probation most likely. If you look at the judgement, there is a box that is checked if standard conditions DO NOT apply. If the box is not checked (which is probably isnt), standard conditions of probation apply for the duration of your probation. ORS 137.540 lists those conditions, one of which (subsection L) is that you not possess firearms. That being said, to the best of my knowledge, such conditions to not show up on a FICS check.

Really... I got a brialliant idea. Don't drink and drive. If you can't afford a taxi, then you can't afford the ticket or the accident. Saying you are drunk and don't know better is a piss poor excuse as well, because I am still pretty much in control of all of my faculties when I am drunk. I choose to drink at home or somewhere within walking distance of where I am sleeping. Don't be an idiot.

It's a "Can I" not a "Should I" thread, folks. Answer appears that he can.

And the "should" answered itself. But with 2A we take the good with the bad. It is what it is.

I am just saying this fine upstanding citizen has already proven he is irresponsible. What is to say he doesn't drinky drink and grab a gun. This type of behavior is why we are on the cusp of losing the 2A. I refuse to help this guy, and any 2A loving person should as well. Where is the shame in society today?

I get what you're saying, man. I do. But there's two subjects.

Yes, he can own a gun.

No (personal opinion) he probably shouldn't until he figures out how to demonstrate less-than-reckless-and-blatantly-disregarding-conduct-toward-others. We've established irresponsibility (if possibly even some stupidity) but those are not - unfortunately - areas that most pro 2A people would support some level of management (or "restriction.")

He is more than welcome to come to Texas, one of the most pro 2A states in the union. First offence is a misdemeanor (unless there is damages or a minor present in the car, then a felony) any offence after that is a felony, no more guns. I think it is more than fair. I have known too many people who have died, lost their parents, and had their lives ruined while the person responsible lived it up then and afterwards.

Having lost people to drunk drivers, I think one time is more than enough. That said, he can get his gun and hopefully will smarten up about driving intoxicated.

Trust me... Most likely you cannot purchase a firearm... Police will show up and question you if you try. My question is, can you posses firearms while on bench probation if you cannot purchase them?

Hello... I work at an FFL and I conduct background checks and process the 4473 forms all day long, and I had to pass a background check to work there. But I recieved a DUII over a year ago and am on bench probation through Multnomah County, Oregon. I have no felonies and nothing on my record that would disqualify me based on the questions asked on the 4473 form. However, I don't know if I would be "denied" if I were to go in and purchase one based on the fact that I am on bench probation. From what I can gather, not being able to purchase/own a firearm isn't one of the criterias of my bench probation. I want to purchase a firearm at my work, but I don't want to go through the embarassment and possible repercussions if I were to be denied. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!
-Scott

Are you Jesus? I would bet a million dollars you have drank and drive and simply wasn't caught. Hypocrisy is strong in this one.

I am just saying this fine upstanding citizen has already proven he is irresponsible. What is to say he doesn't drinky drink and grab a gun. This type of behavior is why we are on the cusp of losing the 2A. I refuse to help this guy, and any 2A loving person should as well. Where is the shame in society today?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top