JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Yep we know to report- but the issue is ongoing enough and not stopping that hoping this will bring more attention to the issue and address it. The classifieds is not general chit chat/post whatever you want or to say "oooh hey nice gun but i'm broke"

i think we have two different threads here. one is early bumps,which is a rampant problem! spreads like a bad disease and is uncontrolable. the second is the one at hand. this one can and should be dealt with swift and permanent reprocussions. we'll just keep doin what we're doin and see what happens.

They're one in the same issue, and I started thread so neener neener I can side trail it :) (all in good fun on this one hope ya understand!!)

Oooh and as I have a couple and chatted with someone else about- People should know unless your post in the classifieds is a relevant/necessary post to the thread IT DOES NOT BELONG. No one cares if you think a gun is pretty- email family or PM the OP of the ad but for the love of coffee and cream please stop bumping threads with BS

yea its a bit of a problem, I have been guilty of early bumping as well. I got a warning from the Mods and had to reread and agree to forum rules before accessing the forums again, I did this and guess what? that fixed the problem.. I wont do it again, I think most people are just like me and would respond in the same fashion. As for the "chatter" I dunno it doesnt bother me and I like getting some extra info.... why not make the classifieds bump only when the OP posts on the thread, would solve the Cool gun! and wish I had the cash! bumps and would make it easier for the mods to catch the early bumps

Just so all of you are aware, we're currently reviewing a few different options for getting the classified section under control. We'll be narrowing the list of potential developers very soon, and all this early bump stuff will be a thing of the past.

Just so all of you are aware, we're currently reviewing a few different options for getting the classified section under control. We'll be narrowing the list of potential developers very soon, and all this early bump stuff will be a thing of the past.

HUGE LIKE Joe!! Thanks for the continued work.

OK, so I just got an email stating not to post a reply that my firearm was sold, becuase it bumps the ad and it goes to the top of the classifieds. And I see that someone linked my thread in this discusion. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I will no longer do this. It was not my intention to make people upset, just to show that it was sold. Some people in this thread seem to be a little unforgiving. Some rules also seem a little ambiguous. However, when I looked through the rules, I must have missed this specific situation of not replying as sold. Unless the rule is just refering to "bumping" in general. Now I know to just close the thread. However, if I want to edit, remove, or add sold to the original post, is that ok? Will editing the original ad "bump" the thread? I feel that it should be ok to remove information from the original post for privacy and such. Also, if someone posts a question, what is really the rule about responding? For instance, someone asked me about the length of the barrel, they posted the questions, not PM'd. Is it against the rule to Post a reply? I want to make sure to follow all the rules.

Hey now, I may be getting rounder but I'm not rolling down the hill yet.

Question for mods, are we not allowed to have any discussions in sale threads now period? I know I may have logged in and talked to myself to sell something to myself or whatever but really, why not quit allowing posts past the original and take it all to pm then? Would save bumps and bandwidth. Mark sold when done via thread tools?

I think this is a solution worth considering.
I really dont mind when legit questions are asked and the OPs answer. Heck, I answered a question to my classified post today.
But there are frequently conversations that take place between the OP and others that is just keeping the post at the top and is unfair to other posters.
And in defense of this thread, its starting to get some attention from posters. Thats a good thing. It means that a few more folks are becoming aware of the issue, and that improves the quality of the board IMHO.

Wow for something so easy:
2. Do not bump a thread more than once a week
Members have permission to edit the original thread to add additional information, so please do so when possible.

Post one is for edits. The classifieds are not general BS. What's OK to post on a thread:
1) Ask for pics, price, info on gun etc.

Not OK:
1) Hey nice gun or I wish I had the $$ etc.
We have lots of threads to comment on pretty pictures, the classifieds are for buying/sellling guns.

Hey now, I may be getting rounder but I'm not rolling down the hill yet.

Question for mods, are we not allowed to have any discussions in sale threads now period? I know I may have logged in and talked to myself to sell something to myself or whatever but really, why not quit allowing posts past the original and take it all to pm then? Would save bumps and bandwidth. Mark sold when done via thread tools?

Wouldn't that eliminate weekly bumping too?

The issue with bumping is well known and it's one we are trying to get corrected as soon as we can. As Joe has stated, he is trying to implement a software tweak but it is taking time. That being said, the point of this thread has been made so I am going to close it before it descends further into a full-on tattle-tale flame-war.

One thing though regarding when to "report" a rules violation, especially when it concerns "bumps", please use the following as a guide:

Ad posters: Do not bump your ad thread more than once every seven days -
You may bump your ad seven-days from your last post in the thread UNLESS a question has been posted in the thread that warrants a response. Your response post to the question then re-starts your "bump-clock" back at day one.

Members have permission to edit the original post to add additional information, so please, do so whenever possible. Postings such as: "SPF", "SOLD", "PM sent", etc. ARE considered "bumps" if made before seven-days from your last post.

Posting "SOLD" in the thread will also uselessly bump your ad so please, once your item has been SOLD, use the thread tools to close the ad and edit the original post to say the item is SOLD rather than making a new posting.

While the above text is an expansion of my interpretation of Rule 14.2, it is based on conversations with other mods and Joey and has been the informal policy that we've been following when issuing warnings and infractions.

To those members whose hobby seems to be reporting ad bumps:
When you report a posting, every mod sees the report and one (or several) of us will check the information and, if it is indeed a valid violation of the "bump" rules, the appropriate warning or infraction is issued (based on the infraction history of the member who has violated the rule). Not all reported posts have indeed been rules violations though, often times they are OP responses to legitimate questions posted in the thread and these are allowed.

Please ONLY report blatant violations of the "bump rules" and leave it to the mods to handle from there. Also, please refrain from posting in the members ad thread "calling them out". It is not the way to encourage a "following of the rules". This is especially true when it concerns "newer" members.

I am removing the numerous finger-pointing posts from this thread.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top