JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so, why the 6mm ARC over the 6.5 Grendel when they use the same case, bolt and magazine in the AR15 platform?
the 6.5 Grendel is a well establish round with a wide variety of bullets and factory ammo
a 6.5 Grendel can be used to targets out to 1000 yrds and hunting out passed 300 yrds in just a 16" bbl
my .264 LBC will do anything I need

View attachment 1869987
Why?
  • @Nosferatu's point about better high BC bullets
  • Across several forums, (Accurate Shooter, Sniper's Hide, LRH) the consensus is that the 6 ARC is much easier to tune a load for than the 6.5 G.
  • Cool factor.
I love my Grendels, and I'll bet that the ARC would be an outstanding addition. One day.

@Snip -- cool thread, thanks for sharing!

Why?
  • @Nosferatu's point about better high BC bullets
  • Across several forums, (Accurate Shooter, Sniper's Hide, LRH) the consensus is that the 6 ARC is much easier to tune a load for than the 6.5 G.
  • Cool factor.
I love my Grendels, and I'll bet that the ARC would be an outstanding addition. One day.

@Snip -- cool thread, thanks for sharing!
By taking a 6.5mm Grendel cartridge and using a 6mm bullet (.243 inches), researchers developed a low-recoil, high-accuracy round that delivers effective performance at distances of 500 yards and beyond.

@Lazyfaire Below is a 55gr 5.56x45 weighing 11.65 grams and a 77gr weighing 12.84 grams. You posted a picture in post #40 that shows 6ARC as 16 grams.
Lazyfaire:
Nope. Not true. A 308 is longer than 6mm ARC
.308 weighs 24 grams
6mm ARC weighs 16 grams
"6 ARC is smaller and lighter than 5.56"

Do you agree with this statement?

I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling?

20240427_132729.jpg 20240427_134639.jpg

Last Edited:
For the 6mm ARC, I wanted something that I could shoot in a standard AR-15. I wanted to extend the range of the venerable .223/556 to well over 700 yards. I didn't choose the 6.5mm Grendel because I heard that the barrel life was limited. That may be a myth, but it's what I heard. The 6.5 Creedmore would require a large frame AR, and I didn't want to go there either.

For the 6mm ARC, I wanted something that I could shoot in a standard AR-15. I wanted to extend the range of the venerable .223/556 to well over 700 yards.
It's hard for me to think of .223/5.56 as "venerable", unless it's being used on varmints.

"Acceptable", "marginally effective", "good enough, I guess", and "you can carry a lot of rounds" are phrases that do come to mind.

It's hard for me to think of .223/5.56 as "venerable", unless it's being used on varmints.

"Acceptable", "marginally effective", "good enough, I guess", and "you can carry a lot of rounds" are phrases that do come to mind.
I think the bullet proved itself in battle over 50 years. I don't have the stats, but I would suspect it's the most produced rifle round in the world.

@Lazyfaire

Can you explain why you think 6 ARC is lighter than 5.56?
To go back I was in error I got 308 stuck in my head, so I was incorrect as I weighed the ARC against the 308. But if you go and read the ammunition to go link above it explains why the 6ARC does better than the Grendel and also the 5.56 (has more energy at distance). To me shooting at 1000 yrds is a sniper shot and not a normal or usual distance. I could be wrong about that too.

Oh, I agree the 6 ARC is better than the Grendal. I've never been a Grendal fan. Not enough powder to propel too light of a bullet for the caliber.

Back in the day when I wanted to build an alternate caliber AR, I picked the 6.8 SPC. I think the bolts are a bit more reliable/stronger. Not that the 6.8 is a sniper or long distance champ but mine has hit the 1000 yard gong a few times recently.

Oh, I agree the 6 ARC is better than the Grendal. I've never been a Grendal fan. Not enough powder to propel too light of a bullet for the caliber.

Back in the day when I wanted to build an alternate caliber AR, I picked the 6.8 SPC. I think the bolts are a bit more reliable/stronger. Not that the 6.8 is a sniper or long distance champ but mine has hit the 1000 yard gong a few times recently.
LOL. That's why I seem to have at least 2 (or 3) of everything!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top