Body Armor

Discussion in 'Legal & Political' started by ikari2_2000, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ikari2_2000

ikari2_2000 Member

21   0   1
    Is it legal to wear body armor with SAPI plates to plink out in the woods? I wanted to make sure it's ok in Washington State before I go out and conduct any Anti-Zombie training. Got to make sure the gear fits and feels right while moving etc. Granted I can do the same thing at home to an extent, but it's not the same until you shoot and scoot with the gear on.

I read online from BulletProofME.com Body Armor - Legal Terms of Sale and Website Use, in one of their sentences it stated:

"it is against the law for a felon to possess Body Armor under both federal law (unless required by your employer, see, Sec. 931) and is also illegal under state law in many states."

Any insight?
  2. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

62   0   0
    I can't find anything in RCW with restrictions on body armor.
  3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Resident Science Nut

142   0   0
    All the second part is saying is that by many state laws, it is illegal for a felon to possess body armor (along with saying that it is federally illegal)
  4. chemist

chemist Well-Known Member

4   0   0
    Felons and Australians are out of luck! The rest of us are okay, even wearing a vest in a courtroom or wherever.

But I'm no lawyer, so better check for yourself.

From Wiki:
    "United States law restricts possession of body armor for convicted violent felons. Many U.S. states also have penalties for possession or use of body armor by felons. In other states, such as Kentucky, possession is not prohibited, but probation or parole is denied to a person convicted of committing certain violent crimes while wearing body armor and carrying a deadly weapon."
  5. THC101

THC101 Member

0   0   0
    Its legal in washington, you are good. They sell SAPI plates at the gunshow.
  6. gehrheart

gehrheart Well-Known Member

3   0   0
    I honestly would have never even given it a second thought about legality of body armor.
    I had no idea there were any kinds of laws against it. Learn something new everyday.
  7. spengo

spengo Active Member

10   0   0
    just don't wear it to california. :)
  8. Stomper

Stomper 3%er Bronze Supporter

25   0   0

or to church!! :D
  9. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Active Member

Originally from the central midwest but have reloc
    25   0   0
    It's very troubling that something such as body armor- something that is in no way a weapon and is specifically designed as a protective device- could be illegal in any circumstance.....that fact alone is a strong indication of the stupidity and corruption of many of the dirtbags who are writing our laws...and those who cast their votes to put / keep them in office...just my $.02
  10. crosse

crosse Active Member

11   0   0
    someone not lazy could prbly look this up but i believe using body armor in the act of a felony is an additional crime the DA can tack on.
  11. jvbutter

jvbutter Active Member

14   0   0
    from what i have heard and read... its more of a "why do u need such equipment"... thats the law makers and the anti gunners thoughts...
  12. latinluv206

latinluv206 New Member

0   0   0
  13. NoOne

NoOne Active Member

15   0   0
    Can you have someone pick it up for you? Perhaps you could give someone a written notice that the property has been given to them, with the understanding that they will have to pick it up at the evidence room. As long as they aren't a "violent felon", I would think they should be able to pick up what would then be their property.
  14. oknow

oknow Well-Known Member

8   0   0
    they sell spring assessed knives too but those are not legal unless your le
  15. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    Assisted opening is legal in WA since not too long ago, but automatic openers are not. More here.

edit: However, 3.5 inch is, I believe, a WA blade length limit, if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately, there's no RCW with a preemption clause, so you're stuck with reading every other town's local codes. Camas has 3.5 inch, but Vancouver has 3 inch, so that limits the options quite a bit. Of course being the dangerous guy I am, I went all-in risky with my new US-made Benchmade 3" assisted opener (Emissary or something like that, nice compact pocket carrier).
  16. oknow

oknow Well-Known Member

8   0   0
    thanks for the update.