JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be driving to Arizona to visit a buddy and want to have a handgun there and on the return trip, but on the way to Arizona I will be staying at a place that does not allow firearms.

I plan to ship the handgun to my friend's house, addressed to me but in care of my friend. I understand that this is legal & aboveboard as long as I do not use the U.S. Post Office as the carrier - true?

Does anyone have related experiences or suggestions about doing this sort of thing?

Why don't you just take it with you?
If your going through states that you don't have a permit for or that you can't carry through (California for example) you can have it in a lockbox or in the trunk.
Also if you want one there and on the return trip, what's the reasoning for not wanting one on the trip there?
Could you give us some more information on this? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Driving through CA is no problem, but I'll be staying three days on a California National Guard base - they are definitely not firearm-friendly unless the guns are their own.

I've mailed handguns a few times for warranty repairs. You can ship via FedEx or UPS but you have to take it to an actual customer counter (can't leave it in a dropbox), and you have to tell the person you hand it to that there's a firearm inside. Also, I don't think you can ship it with ammo in the same package. Other than that, nothing too tricky :)

I'll be driving to Arizona to visit a buddy and want to have a handgun there and on the return trip, but on the way to Arizona I will be staying at a place that does not allow firearms.

I plan to ship the handgun to my friend's house, addressed to me but in care of my friend. I understand that this is legal & aboveboard as long as I do not use the U.S. Post Office as the carrier - true?

Does anyone have related experiences or suggestions about doing this sort of thing?
Yes, according to the section (B9) of the FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE 2005 Last paragraph on page 177. I can't help you on the method of shipping.

Thanks for all the help re shipping this pistol. The "FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE 2005" was useful.

UPS will ship the pistol but insists that I use one of their three fastest shipping methods at a cost of $60 minimum. FedEx tells me that they will not ship to & from an individual - a licensee must be involved.

Any other suggestions as to carriers??

It was my understanding that you can ship UPS, from the main hub only, but only to a FFL or mfg. But it is expensive and with insurance can cost $60 or so. You must ship next day I believe also.

I have shipped UPS to a Wis FFL and back to a mfg in Fla and IL so I know its expensive.

I would take the gun with me and find someone in CA to hold the gun offbase for me. Someone must have a friend that you can trust, in the city you are heading to, that will babysit the gun for you.

What city are you going to? You might consider asking a gun dealer to hold it for you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top