JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the best pocket gun out there right now?
i would like it to have a good safety that i can trust and small enough to fit in my pocket
something in 9mm would be prefered but im sure .380 is my best shot.
what do you have or like?

For a true pocket gun you have to think small. I've carried a 5 shot .22 magnum NAA revolver in my front pocket for nearly 20 years. I've carried other small pistols but either the size made them too noticeable of their weight too uncomfortable for me to carry for very long.

Keith

It depends on which pocket you use of course but I carry an Ruger LCP 380 in my front Jeans pocket and it is entirely comfortable with a DeSantes pocket holster and very concealable. I almost forget its there its so comfortable. It is dual action only so no need to worryt about a safety and I figure when the adrenalin is flowing the trigger pull length does not matter, I will getter done. Maybe does not have the stopping power of a 45 but its a compromise.

I carry a PF9 IWB. I bought a pocket holster for it, but it is just too big for me to pocket carry. I have seen several posts of people online who pocket carry it, and I have a friend who pocket carries a Kahr PM9 with similar dimensions.

I can pocket carry an LCP with no problem.

For me, "the best" has proven to be a S&W M642 in either a <broken link removed> (round cut) or a <broken link removed> w/5 round Quickstip. Both holsters are fantastic and allow the revolver to be carried very nicely in jeans, shorts, dockers, almost anything. Drawing the gun is quick and re-holstering is not an issue. :s0155:

You have a lot more options during the Winter since pockets can include coat pockets. I wear heavy coats to and from work.

I like the Makarov PM over the modern .380s. 2 add'l rounds in the (slightly) more powerful 9x18 cartridge. Steel construction for reduced recoil and a longer barrel for better accuracy. Plus you can pull the hammer back for single action. It's also a functional range gun, i.e., you can shoot through a few boxes without your hand getting too beat up. The only downside I've experienced is the ammo is a little hard to find.

Just my .02

I carry a keltec P32 in a holster in my cargo pocket, and sometimes in my front pocket while bicycling. I carried a PF9 in my cargo pocket when I first got my CHL, but it was too heavy and created a pendulum effect while walking so I sold it and got another P32.

The .32 and .380acp keltecs/ruger LCP are about the biggest and best guns that are going to fit into any normal sized pocket and still be comfortable....unless you have really big pockets, or you're fat and have really big clothes.

To me, the "best" pocket gun is not the one that's easiest to conceal. Its the one that will do the job when its needed. I've tried both the Taurus TCP and Ruger LCP. I can't use either one effectively beyond about 15 ft. I just get too shaky with those little tiny grips. My PM9 with a grip extension is the smallest thing I carry now, and I don't mind a little bit of "dressing for the gun."

Some ideas

I can just barely carry a Firestar M43 9MM in my front western jeans pocket and 9MM is the minimum I will carry as a primary and even so I need at least a 16 shot 9MM for that (BHP, Glock, etc) so it's just a BUG. It is a single action similar to a 1911 so I carry it with the safety off, hammer down. When I do carry it in an SOB holster as a BUG it is cocked N locked

Other guns that are good for this

S & W J frame 38/357 bodyguard or hammerless

Moving down in stopping power the Ruger LCP, my gal and I are going to buy 3 of them and use the best 2 that work out for carry and the third for shooting/training for back up pistols. In my case it will be a third gun because my backup is the nickel M43. I decided on this after much research on them and my gal handling one at a shop and she liked it. It will be her BUG to her 6 shot S & W .357 magnum or her G23 Glock

[video]http://www.break.com/tru-tv/tow-truck-shootout.html[/video]

Moral of this tale? Carry enough gun and if you can a backup or you may regret it

Depending on what you wear, that might be the consideration for what you choose for pocket carry; might have to change what you wear?
This is very much an opened thread so expect many different and varying responses.
Get out and find what you think might work, wearing your every day - week and/or weekend clothing.

... current EDC is the SIG P238 in a SIG pocket holster. Doesn't print with cargo pants/shorts - roomy pockets. For jeans it's a High Noon IWB.
I have a Kimber Solo; awaiting pocket and IWB holsters to try with cargos and jeans.

Revolver or pistol?

Previous was a S&W 342 and I looked at the Ruger LCR in .357, that was nice and could have been a contender!

I also looked at the DB380, DB9, CM9, Nano, PF-9 (recommended look), Rohrbaugh (nice nice nice), SIG Mosquito, Beretta Tomcat/Bobcat, NAA Pug/Ranger ...
A .22LR pistol in the pocket, is more valuable than the .45 in the safe at home.

Others to consider are .32 and .25 pistols.
Lol. The .25 is the gun to have when you don't want to carry a gun. Chuckle.

Keep in mind that the objective is concealed carry.

Have a read of Bruce Eimer's article for one man's view Pocket Carry of Small Caliber Concealed Handguns - HUMAN EVENTS

Good luck and stay safe!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top