Best parts kit to complete 1911 frame?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by gordyboard02, Feb 17, 2010.

1. gordyboard02

gordyboard02 New Member

2   0   0
    I'm looking at building up a stripped 1911 frame. Where can I find the best parts kit to complete it at a decent price? I looked into Sarco but I am wary about the quality...any suggestions? (Also if you have an extra kit laying around...:D)
  2. wichaka

wichaka Moderator Staff Member

27   0   0
    It depends on quality vs cost.

If you're learning to build a 1911, then Sarco is the way to go. If you mess up a part, you're not out that much.

If you're wanting better quality, then stick with the main stream parts people...Wilson, Nowlin, Ed Brown, etc. But read the fine print, even these people put out lower end stuff.

If you want something middle of the road, look thru Brownells catalog and look for Wilsons + parts, or USA stuff. A cut above Sarco, but not as expensive as the upper end offerings.
  3. e28p

e28p New Member

0   0   0
    Check out Fusion Firearms for premium parts at some of the best price I have found to date.

Fusion Firearms
  4. enjr4

enjr4 Active Member

7   0   0
  5. Velzey

Velzey Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    Go to Brownells, order everything Caspian! Fit and finish is superb!
  6. iamme

iamme Well-Known Member

52   3   0
    Just to throw it out there- parts kit and 1911 is not like parts kit and AR15...

+1 to Wichaka- I'll also add watch 1911forum for take off Springfield parts. Lots of people will use SA's as base guns and will sell the small parts for pretty cheap.
  7. wichaka

27   0   0
    If you're still looking for parts, I just got some Springfield take-off parts available.
  8. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Active Member

31   0   0
    To tag this and also I find it interesting and maybe a new way to piss away some money, what would be a good, decent base frame to start with?

and to add I know very little of the 1911 platform
  9. ScottyB

ScottyB Member

0   0   0
    As someone who has not done this before but is interested, other than the furniture what else is needed to complete one of these kits?
  10. wichaka

27   0   0
    A company called SARCO has complete kits available, or have some less the slide, frame...and some without the barrel...many choices. http://www.sarcoinc.com/images/c45095.jpg

I'm not sure 'put-together' friendly they are. But it appears some fitting of the parts will be needed.

The quality is not the best, but for a first time builder, I would recommend something on this order, as it gets expensive ruining a 40-50.00 slide stop, or a 250.00 barrel.

There's really not much that can be called a drop in part for a 1911, most everything but the simplest parts (springs etc.) will need some fitting...and even then, sometimes springs need to be fit as well.

Other than taking a 'smith/armorer class where one is under the direct supervision of a 'smith...I guess I would obtain as many manuals, videos etc as one can.

Start with Kuhnhausen's shop manual books, add in Browns bench reference, and Wilson manuals, and obtain some of the AGI DVD video series discs. Even then I'm not sure one will get all the little tricks on how to do things when parts don't fit right, or what to look for when troubleshooting many of the possible pitfalls one may encounter.

But its a good solid start. Putting together a 1911 is in no way like putting together an AR...much more fitting, and special tools needed.
  11. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Banned Bronze Supporter

0   0   0
    For a first time building, I would look at Caspian.

Caspian has a reputation for accuracy on frames and slides, and if you get on the phone, talk to them and tell them what you are doing, I suspect that their parts kits probably share that ability to go together correctly and as easily as possible.
  12. orygun

orygun Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

77   0   0
    This is not quite a duplicate thread about building a 1911 that I've latched onto. In both threads there has been the comment that building a 1911 is not like building an AR. Ok. So?

I've got almost zero interest in building an AR, but my very own 1911? Well, that certainly appeals to me. I'm comfortable with a micrometer and files. I own a lathe (and can use it).

Ya wanna know what's holding me back?

I have a Dan Wesson CBOB, that's what. I'm not saying that the CBOB is the end all, be all pistol for everyone, but for me it's close. Every time I scan the Brownell's catalog and start to dream, I picture building what I already have. Then I start adding up the prices to build what I already have. It just doesn't pencil out.

I have a Mustang that is far from stock that I have invested countless hours and dollars into. If I could have gone and bought what I built, I probably would have. But to get what I wanted I had to build.

Moral of my story, unless you can't get what you want from a quality manufacturer, or if the pride of the build overrides what you might spend, build it. Other than that, buy it.
  13. hawmanai

hawmanai Member

1   0   0
  14. MarkAd

MarkAd Well-Known Member

3   0   0
    I have checked SARCO and they suck. I would start with a casipan blemish frame. Right now I am not willing to put in the man hours to build one since just getting the fit/finish I wanted on a slide stop took several man hours and a lot of very fine filing..
  15. iamme

iamme Well-Known Member

52   3   0
    Check with Remsport for frame and slide. If it was me I'd hunt for a Used springfield or if set on a lower budget a Rock Island and then upgrade from there.