JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really get along with ( E.A.R ) brand E-Z-fit ear plugs, thy are soft little yellow foam plugs that go in deep and dont hurt to wear for 12 hour days.
If shooting bigger than small auto pistol you could put ear muffs over your ears too.

I like those soft yellow ones too, the problem is I can't seem to find them anywhere. who sells them?

Most of the electronic muffs I look at are passive noise cancellation; the muff cancels the noise the same as any other plain muff would, and then the electronics amplifies conversation level sounds.

I think there might be electronic muffs with active noise cancellation; that is, the electronics actually cancels the outside loud noises by creating an on-the-fly, real-time inverted sound wave to cancel out the outside one, but I don't remember where I've seen them. I think they are probably much more expensive. More interesting, also, as long as you can trust the electronics to always work.

Most of the electronic muffs I look at are passive noise cancellation; the muff cancels the noise the same as any other plain muff would, and then the electronics amplifies conversation level sounds.

I think there might be electronic muffs with active noise cancellation; that is, the electronics actually cancels the outside loud noises by creating an on-the-fly, real-time inverted sound wave to cancel out the outside one, but I don't remember where I've seen them. I think they are probably much more expensive. More interesting, also, as long as you can trust the electronics to always work.

Bose and Peltor both make them. Quite expensive XXX+ as is the Wilson Game ear usually 30+db down. I have two different brands, both have their good and not so good points. I like the Peltor's I own personally, but they do not amplify other conversation much...more like you would hear if you were not wearing anything.

I really get along with ( E.A.R ) brand E-Z-fit ear plugs, thy are soft little yellow foam plugs that go in deep and dont hurt to wear for 12 hour days.
If shooting bigger than small auto pistol you could put ear muffs over your ears too.

Oddly enough the disposable ear plugs actually show (on pkg) that they better reduce background noise than any other hearing protection.
As said above, doubling up with earmuffs & ear plugs will drastically reduce the noise

Oddly enough the disposable ear plugs actually show (on pkg) that they better reduce background noise than any other hearing protection.
As said above, doubling up with earmuffs & ear plugs will drastically reduce the noise

This is what I do: plug the ears and use a earmuff at about 28 db and this combination has been very effective for me. This is an inexpensive way to get great portection.

This is what I do: plug the ears and use a earmuff at about 28 db and this combination has been very effective for me. This is an inexpensive way to get great portection.

+1 for doubling up with yellow or orange foamies inside some cheap plastic earmuffs, especially at indoor ranges where the direct and reflected sound pressure combine.

Some buttstocks don't allow a good cheek weld with the phones on, but at least you're a couple feet behind the main concussion if you ditch the phones and just go with plugs.

Earplugs allow somewhat normal conversation, too, as long as people speak up and face each other. Then pop on the muffs for heavy artillery. Sometimes there's one guy in the group who just didn't get the memo about warning others that he's going hot again after a break. Earplugs are indispensable for that foolishness.

Don't know about a lot of you, but I shoot a rifle and use the orange foams. So far they have worked rather well for me. Made by radians resistor 32db. Have looked at the muffs, but so far too much $ for low DB's. The foams worked very well at the range as well. For $8.00 you can't beat it.

Howard Leight MAX NRR 33 Single Use Foam Ear Plugs Sanderson Safety carries them near downtown Portland.
I often prefer to shoot rifles and shotguns without any kind of muff for a more consistent stock weld. Got a box of them and they wind up in my backpack, car, and around the shop so I've got earpro. It's fun to be able to hand out like candy too when friends forget.

Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Hearing Protection,

Amazon has the best deal right now or bid on Ebay, worked for me, I paid a lot more for mine long ago and I've still gotten my money's worth

I really love these things. I use them for everything from shooting to around the shop to proximate fireworks. I think I've had my pair for 4-5 years now, I can't remember if I changed the battery. If I did it would only have been once. I find the amplification great. I wouldn't worry about the NRR rating on these for what they do. Shotguns and 308 is just fine outdoors. Indoor pistol range, I'm doubling up with the foam plugs. From what I understand, whether you get a good stock weld with these or any other low profile muff is going to depend on your rifle/shotgun sights and your head/neck geometry.

Double plug is my best advice.

As someone with profound hearing loss, due mostly to my time in the service, but I'm sure recreational shooting hasn't helped either, I can tell you when it's gone, it's GONE.

I've always taken care to wear hearing protection, but the difference between "hearing protection" and Hearing protection that actually will save your hearing is huge.

You can get 33 db earplugs from NewEgg or Amazon. I recommend those AND over-ear protection of at LEAST 25 db over the top of them. If I had used the care I now know I should have and bought my own gear in the service, I wouldn't have the hearing loss. And you can get it just as bad, just going to the range. (I have 60% loss).

Heck, a SINGLE incidence of shooting a center-fire rifle or shotgun without ear protection inside a building WILL result in permanent hearing loss. And that's just from ONE TIME. It's not a question of "if," it's a question of how bad is it going to be.

You don't have to spend a lot of money if you double-plug. And even if you DO spend a lot of money on over-ear muffs, remember that if they aren't on right, you aren't getting the protection you paid for.

Please, PLEASE don't think GOOD hearing protection isn't a big deal. I'm just about to turn 50 and I'm 60% DEAF. It matters, it really does.

/end rant

I know a 72 year old piano tuner who wears foam plugs 24/7 and dons Howard Leight muffs when leaving his house.
The only time he takes out the plugs is when he's tuning a piano.

Double plug is my best advice.

As someone with profound hearing loss, due mostly to my time in the service, but I'm sure recreational shooting hasn't helped either, I can tell you when it's gone, it's GONE.

I've always taken care to wear hearing protection, but the difference between "hearing protection" and Hearing protection that actually will save your hearing is huge.

You can get 33 db earplugs from NewEgg or Amazon. I recommend those AND over-ear protection of at LEAST 25 db over the top of them. If I had used the care I now know I should have and bought my own gear in the service, I wouldn't have the hearing loss. And you can get it just as bad, just going to the range. (I have 60% loss).

Heck, a SINGLE incidence of shooting a center-fire rifle or shotgun without ear protection inside a building WILL result in permanent hearing loss. And that's just from ONE TIME. It's not a question of "if," it's a question of how bad is it going to be.

You don't have to spend a lot of money if you double-plug. And even if you DO spend a lot of money on over-ear muffs, remember that if they aren't on right, you aren't getting the protection you paid for.

Please, PLEASE don't think GOOD hearing protection isn't a big deal. I'm just about to turn 50 and I'm 60% DEAF. It matters, it really does.

/end rant

Well said Bill, my dad has same problem, he made me buy a pair of CENS digital, and I am soooo glad he did, simply amazing, they block out all the gunshot noise while still being able to hear everything around you prefectly :) check them out, censdigital.com
aL

Look into the ear pro & if that is not enough you can always put the larger external muffs. I too have lost most of my hearing due to my military service. People look at me crazy when I mow my grass & use other powered equipment while wearing hearing protection. As for the person about using a can. Not all cans are safe to shoot with unprotected ears.

I'll chime in again in case anyone else cares. Most of the muffs can ruin your cheek weld on a stock if you have low sights (and I'm speaking as someone who uses that Burris pepr riser/mount on a 308 AR.)
In that case cheap foam plugs work best. They aren't as cool as high tech muffs but work much better than opening up your right ear to achieve a proper cheek weld.
The electronic muffs are nice for pistols but its good to have options when shooting rifles. Especially short rifles!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top