JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure some of you have researched this out, so please share. I'm thinking in terms of bulk rice, brown rice, beans, lentils, corn, wheat, sugar, salt, vitamins, etc.

Thanks,

Max

The dollar store, canned food warehouses, cash and carry.
Be picky, check dates and make sure rice and grain bulk bags are tear free.
You would be surprised at how miserly some things can be had for if you change where you shop. Dont buy anything Chineese if you can help it.

On TV highway head west, you will pass 3 of each of these stores before you get to Hillsboro. They are everywhere.

LDS Home Storage Center
10420 SE 82nd Ave
PO Box 66160
Portland, Oregon 97086

The LDS church runs this, it is open to everyone Tuesday and Thursday 9:00-3:00. Some friends and I went a couple of months ago and I recommend it to everyone. They sell the food at cost but you have to can it yourself (with assistance) in either #10 cans or pouches.

Price list is here:

<broken link removed>

LDS Home Storage Center
10420 SE 82nd Ave
PO Box 66160
Portland, Oregon 97086

The LDS church runs this, it is open to everyone Tuesday and Thursday 9:00-3:00. Some friends and I went a couple of months ago and I recommend it to everyone. They sell the food at cost but you have to can it yourself (with assistance) in either #10 cans or pouches.

Price list is here:

<broken link removed>

Do you have a phone number for these folks?

SF-

LDS Home Storage Center
10420 SE 82nd Ave
PO Box 66160
Portland, Oregon 97086

Price list is here:

<broken link removed>

You can walk in anytime and buy what they have left over on the shelves. They also sell prepackaged wheat, rice, beans, and quick oats, but it costs slightly more than if you pack it yourself. Best bang for the buck is packing your own 25lb containers of wheat.

LDS Home Storage Center
10420 SE 82nd Ave
PO Box 66160
Portland, Oregon 97086

Price list is here:

<broken link removed>

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check that out.

We bought 100# sacks of whole corn at a feed supply store. Could have done the same with wheat but we get that from family wheat farmers.

I made a velocity separator and a winnower using a powerful leaf blower and a strong fan blowing sideways to the leaf blower, and the wheat dropped clean onto a tarp. It was actually a lot of fun and very rewarding. I did a (literal) ton of wheat, dirty with small rocks, dirt and chaff at first right from the combine.

As always, be careful that you don't buy seed grain because it's coated with poison to kill pests and mold, etc after it's planted. It's dyed a distinctive color so it's hard to make that mistake.

You didn't ask, but a bushel of wheat weighs about 60 pounds and will fill about 1 1/2 five gallon buckets. That bushel's worth about $5 to a farmer which translates to real cheap at twice the price.

Be dang sure it's dry before you bag it. "Dry" for wheat means it will break cleanly when broken with your fingers and thumbnails. Dry for corn means it will shatter to powder when smashed with a hammer.

Have fun. :s0155:

I went by the LDS Center today. I went into the canning room and helped the nice folks pack various items. Then I picked up a starter pack and some other items (flour, beans, powdered milk) that I packed in No. 10 cans. The prices are low.

They have times when a group can come in and can their orders...by appointment. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6pm, and Saturday mornings at 9am.

I had a thought of canning ammo, but I don't think they'd go for that.

Last week, I went by the Healthy Harvest place in Vancouver. As shown in their catalog, they have some interesting items including canned meat, cheese and butter. If you call them and get on their mailing list, they will let you know when they have their next "tasting event". I'd like to sample some of these things before buying them.

I went by the LDS Center today. I went into the canning room and helped the nice folks pack various items. Then I picked up a starter pack and some other items (flour, beans, powdered milk) that I packed in No. 10 cans. The prices are low.

They have times when a group can come in and can their orders...by appointment. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6pm, and Saturday mornings at 9am.

I had a thought of canning ammo, but I don't think they'd go for that.

Last week, I went by the Healthy Harvest place in Vancouver. As shown in their catalog, they have some interesting items including canned meat, cheese and butter. If you call them and get on their mailing list, they will let you know when they have their next "tasting event". I'd like to sample some of these things before buying them.

There are many people who bring in their own stuff to can, things that you can't buy there. I've heard of people even canning candybars. I don't think there would be any problem with canning ammo.

Ok,

Question about the LDS Canning center, ie. Bishop's Storehouse. I have been told that they have been closed to non-church members for the past year or so.

The question is: Has anyone who is not an LDS member been to a storehouse in the last 12mos. or so? Anyone evere hear of this?

Ok,

Question about the LDS Canning center, ie. Bishop's Storehouse. I have been told that they have been closed to non-church members for the past year or so.

The question is: Has anyone who is not an LDS member been to a storehouse in the last 12mos. or so? Anyone evere hear of this?

I'm not a member of the LDS church.

BTW, they told me that a year ago (about the same time as the Obama-inspired gun sales) that they were selling way more canned food then they are now.

Ok,

I usually go to the center out in St Paul. From what I gather, if there is a large run on product (ala Y2K) then they limit it to members first and they ration the amounts you can get. It was this way a year or two ago when everyone was freaking out. I was in there when someone walked out with $800 worth of Hard Red Wheat and flour, leaving me and mine with none. The next trip down they were limiting everyone to 50 or 100lbs each. But for the most part anyone can go in and pack up some stuff, you just have to be respectful and follow the rules. I am planning on going again very very soon as we are getting low on some stuff and need to resupply. Really though they want to see as many people as possible prepared for an emergency and are there to help. But last time I checked they will not let you bring in outside foods to pack yourself. As they can't really verify when it was made or how it was stored, plus they don't want to get a bunch of weevils infesting the place (has happened before). They also have portable canners that they loan out. Not sure if they will allow non-members to check them out, but can't hurt to ask. We did this once and it was nice to can it up in the kitchen. We were able to put up a bunch of lentils and some other things and it worked out pretty good. But its a bit slower and you need a good sized area and something sturdy to clamp the machine onto. Never did the ammo thing, but was temped.

I have been to the cannery/Bishop's Storehouse on SE 82nd several times over the last few months and I am not an LDS member. They were very welcoming and recommend that I tell friends which I have done and taken small groups on subsequent trips. This one is only open for individuals on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00-3:00 for individuals.

I have been to the cannery/Bishop's Storehouse on SE 82nd several times over the last few months and I am not an LDS member. They were very welcoming and recommend that I tell friends which I have done and taken small groups on subsequent trips. This one is only open for individuals on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00-3:00 for individuals.

Next time you go, if it's a Thursday, please PM me, I would love to go! It's not far from my house.

I have been bringing back MREs by the case for some of the members here for $65 per case.

I like having some of these for emergency use/camping.

For long term storage, I have been buying Mountain House stuff for freeze dried.
EpicCenter is the way to go for the MH stuff.

Rice/Flour.............Costco.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads