Best 9mm round for home defense?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Max713, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
  2. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
    Also, heard really good things about the Cor-Bon 115gr +P
  3. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
    As well a the Speer Gold Dot
  4. branson4020

branson4020 Active Member

0   0   0
    Oh Jeez, another magic bullet thread. Home defense = close range. Any jacketed hollow point will do. Shot placement is much more important. Brand of ammunition? Honestly, not even the coroner will know the difference.
    mookmanjdj and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Skang

Skang Well-Known Member

26   0   0
    I am currently using HST 147gr.

But whatever brand/model you decide to get, make sure that ammo feeds flawless. (test fire 50-100rd)
    ogre and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
    Not looking for any magic, just the best of whats available. I didn't ask "What round will make my 9mm do as much damage as a .40"? :)
    I have searched on the topic, and have a hard time finding any dedicated information.
    As of now I'm leaning towards the Speer gold dot, it seems to have the most reliable reviews.

Noted, and planned.
  7. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Active Member

26   0   1
    9mm is not the best home defense round in any choice,its too hot really and you stand a much higher chance of over penetration through walls.for handgun my choice would be a .45,it's much slower and a big thump when it hits.

i know you didn't ask about that but just saying,maybe a shotgun would be a cheap alternative if you dont have a .45?
  8. glock.40

glock.40 Active Member

4   0   0
    Nothing you said was on topic. Absolutely nothing. He didn't ask which round to use for self defense, but which 9mm round to use. Go start your own thread.

I use the standard federal HP 115g in my glock 19. Love em.
  9. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
    Thank you.
    I'll take a look at the Federal HP.
  10. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Active Member

26   0   1
    hey,d.bag...im sure you get away with talking down to your wife that way but im not your wife.(or boyfriend)
    i know what he said,and i rwas bringing up something maybe he had not really thought about,you dont have to agree with everyones input but if you dont like it keep your piehole shut and chime in with your 2 cents,my thoughts were for the op not for some cocky d.bag.
  11. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
    Could we not do this in this thread?
    I appreciate your concern, and I have considered that aspect already. If I weren't a broke college student, I would have a pistol grip 0/0 loaded 12g for home defense, at the moment the G19 is what I have, and what I plan to use for a very long time. Thus why I asked the question I did. Neither the 870 express 20 gauge, stainless 10/22, or ruger .243 will perform the task at hand.
  12. doubletap007

doubletap007 Active Member

4   0   0
    what an ahole the guy was just trying to help the op
  13. deadshot2

deadshot2 Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    Back to the real topic at hand, I carry GDHP's in my 9mm's. Just my choice.

The best insurance against overpenetration and having a round end up in your neighbor's house is

NUMBER ONE, don't shoot unless absolutely necessary!

Second, and equally important, make sure you are capable of hitting what you're shooting at. A bullet in the center of mass rarely "over penetrates". In most tests it's hard to find ammo that penetrates enough.

It's more than just the bullet in your pistol, it's getting enough practice. A hit with any bullet is far more effective than a miss with any "magic" bullet. I was a broke college student once as well. It's a matter of just directing the price of a "6-pack" every once in a while into a box of bullets in the same weight as your defense round so you can get the necessary practice.

Also spend some time on learning the law as to what justifies a defense shooting. That can be free if you just look up State Law on the use of Deadly force online,
  14. Tangent123123

Tangent123123 Active Member

0   0   0
    He was a bit blunt but the point was valid. He asked a specific question about a specifc round. Your answer did not answer any of his question, it was your personal opinion on something that you felt was better. We've gone around and around with 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45 etc in other threads and talking about shotguns vs. whatever for home defense. The guy had a specific question and by adding something else it sort of derails the thread a bit and as you can see, people get all excited and bent out of shape. So our overly blunt friend was just asking that you try to stay on topic rather then potentially derail it.

So don't get too annoyed with him. His heart was in the right place. ;)
  15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

60   0   0
    Cor Bon 115 grain or Speer Gold Dot
  16. drew

drew Well-Known Member

28   0   0
    I also like Speer Gold Dot. I've been wanting to look at the Federal HSTs but haven't gotten around to it.

These images should give an idea of what each round will do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Max713

Max713 New Member

0   0   0
    Wow, thank you!
    That federal HST 147g looks nasty!
    Anyone know of a good retailer?
  18. beavernation

beavernation Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

31   0   0
    A picture is worth a thousand words, thanx for posting Drew:thumbup:
  19. drew

drew Well-Known Member

28   0   0
    I'd look online.
    Just search for it and someone like ammoman or ammunitiontogo should have it.

You're welcome. I consider the test less than perfect but still revealing much about the behavior of each cartridge. I wish I could have found a similar test using ballistic gel. There might be one; I didn't look very hard.
  20. deadshot2

deadshot2 Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    Take a good look at #3. This is a bullet that was developed by the designer of the Hydra-Shok. It will expand like this regardless of what it passes through first, unlike others that tend to have the hollow point plugged by heavy clothing that tends to turn a HP into a FMJ.

They are not available as a "component" for hand loaders, but the GDHP's are.