JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im going to look up the rules for the DNR land and print them out. I hope to compile all the laws in a folder and keep them in my car. Ill post them all up here once I get them. If anyone already has the links to the Federal, state, and snohomish county laws regarding this I would much appreciate it.

Fredgarv, I got lots of responses here.
First off, Sam's, and any gun range for that matter, is packed on the weekends. Not so much usually early, but it's non-stop all day.
Secondly, don't mention the word "Kel-Tec" to the taller of the two older fellows that works the counter. You'll get a long winded story about Kel-Tec being junk, and my wife and I both find him extremely annoying, enough so she finally put her foot down and said she'd had enough. No more Sam's. She didn't take too kindly about an offhand remark he made about a 45 in my head, either.
Thirdly, you can't shoot rifles of any caliber 5.56/223 and larger there unless you're a member. I can understand why, given some of the clientele you just mentioned. Norpoint Range in Arlington (exactly 3 miles east of I5 at exit 206) has a less restrictive rifle range that's usually not that busy (down to two lanes while it's being repaired) that I didn't have to shell our for a membership to take my kids to. It's getting to the point where it will be worth it, however, and I'm good with a family membership at Norpoint. My wife despises Sam's, and I have to admit it's bugged me enough that I'm now going to be taking my money elsewhere.
Fourth, Norpoint is a much bigger, better monitored, more comfortable place to shoot. Everyone that works there is great, without any attitude that will prevent transfer of customer's money into their store. There are no odd rules about one round or anything like that.
And last, you're referring to Firearms Academy of Seattle, in Onalaska, outside of Chehalis. Look them up on the web and find out about their services.

Last Edited:
I did get a tip about forest service rd. 4020 out past Verlot. I drove up there and there was a clearing but the backstop was rock. I would seriously check out google earth fairly zoomed in and pan around. If you know where a certain size field is that you would like to shoot on, I would imagine you could compare clearing sizes at the same magnification. I work nights and shoot at my dad's out by Snohomish, if a few people are interested in helping me clear out some brush and setting up some decent backstops I'd be willing to let a few people come out there and shoot with me(I shoot a few times a month and he doesn't mind) but with some clearing we could get out to 200yds + or -.

thanks carlmc, yes I just looked up norpoint this weekend and it did look good. I will go there. yes, thats the thing about sams, it just feels like it has a bad vibe when you go in there. some of the guys are fine, and perfectly nice but it seems like they have an attitude, like if your not some expert, then your automatically a moron. Although, I must say, when I was getting my piece of crap kel-tec, a guy walked in, a very nice guy, and went up to the counter and said I want to buy a gun. and the nice guy behind the counter said well, what kind of gun, and they guy said I don't know, some kind of handgun. and the guy said have you ever handled a gun before? and the guy said no. so to the stores credit he told the guy first off you need to take a class in basic gun safety. then he recommended various guns for him. he treated him pretty well, but some of these other people at sams would have probably scared him out of the store. another time I went there a young kid was working and he was just bored, bored, and bored and just sort of mumbled at me. then this last time the guy acted like it was a huge hassle to transfer the gun to me. he wasn't rude but you just get the feeling your not that welcome.

I looked up the place in onalaska, and can you just go shoot there or is it only for instruction?

I like Norpoint for being the closest range to me. Most of the people there are pretty cool although I've ran into 1 or two who have the "attitude". They are cool about rapid fire as long as you seem like you're in control and its never packed, busy but never packed. Their prices are a little ridiculous I believe. It may be the norm (as I have never tried out sams due to the stories) but that doesn't make it a good price.

I went there with my father and did a handgun rental as I wanted to step into my first 9mm. For two lanes, a box of 9mm and the rental the total was over 65 dollars! Someone please tell me if Im being a tad cheap here for I may be.

I like Norpoint for being the closest range to me. <SNIP>
I went there with my father and did a handgun rental as I wanted to step into my first 9mm. For two lanes, a box of 9mm and the rental the total was over 65 dollars! Someone please tell me if Im being a tad cheap here for I may be.

Yup, it can be a little expensive. They actually make their money on the ammunition, which you have to buy for their guns, which is sort of like popcorn and snacks at the movie theater. I went the first time, didn't know they require brass/lead only ammo, and I wound up paying similar to buy a couple boxes of 9mm.

wired what 9mm did you end up trying out? or buying? this was my first hand gun, I didn't want a 45 cause I wanted something to carry and a 45 seemed like a bit big, and I read about the ruger SR9c, or compact. it comes with two mags, one 10 round mag and one 16 round mag. all the reviews were great for this gun and it can hold 17 rounds. it's slim but not that small. I love it and compared to the kel-tec I bought which is perfectly fine, i'ts like night and day, a much more smooth operating gun. anyway it's around $400 new and just a great 9mm gun. I would recommend it highly to anybody who want's a 9mm. one reason I liked it was because it has this safety feature of a loaded indicator bar on top of the gun. it pops up when there is a bullet in the chamber and is red and says "loaded" on it. so everybody knows this gun is loaded and ready to fire. this in addition to a safety on both sides of the gun. it's pretty light weight too and just has this quality feel to it.

the $65 that was for both the rental and the range fee's what are just the range fee's at norpoint? I think I'll pop in there

got my zastava ak47 last night, and what a cool rifle! I love the thumbhole stock, it gives you a really great grip on it. I have never had a rifle like this ever, but it feels just great. $370 brand new from serbia

SANY0143.jpg

I shot a Beretta 92FS (my favorite trigger), S&W M&P9 (very very very light trigger job put on it, I was most accurate with this one), a springfield XD (I could not stand the way it felt in my hand), a Sig P226 DAK (favorite feeling in my hand although I could not stand the DAO), and the Sig P239 (didnt like it, the wood grips felt real weird)

My favorite at the moment is the Sig SP2022. I haven't fired it but I really like the idea, features, and especially the price.

However back on topic wise: Does anyone know a proposed completion date for the Snohomish County Rifle range up the Sultan Basin Road?

the $65 that was for both the rental and the range fee's what are just the range fee's at norpoint? I think I'll pop in there

Norpoint posts their prices right up on the web, and has a decent web site. I did find the gallery page pretty annoying, though, for the lack of variety and the same type of picture over and over.
http://www.norpointrange.com/files/NORPOINT_FLYER.pdf Full prices and what calibers cost you what on the rifle range.
In addition, Monday is lady's night, and women pay no range fees. They have a gun of the month club, where no rental fee is charged on a specific model with a lane rental. I like that; it gives me a chance to find a mid sized 9mm, which I'm interested in getting.

Sam's doesn't post any rates; this frame is from the Boeing Employees Everett Gun Club (which hosts Sam's single web page)
<broken link removed>

carl check out that ruger sr9c, it's not too small, not too big. here's a photo or two of my little kel-tec 9mm with a 10 round magazine compared to the SR9c, one with a 10 round mag and the other with the 16 round mag.

wired all I have read is that the city council or county council etc has just given the go ahead to buy the land that will be used for the site. who knows how long it will be. you would figure that it can't be that long but as a public worker, I know how long things can take. I'd guess at least two years, just a guess.

SANY0146.jpg

SANY0147.jpg

went up to green mountain and got to shoot all my guns, for a short while. right where the border is between private land and the forest service land the snow started, too much for my car so I backed up and right where the very last pit is where they have those yellow cement barricades that say "private property/no dumping/no shooting" is just before you get into the forrest service land so I thought nobody's up here I'll do it in this pit. (this very same pit has some bad memories for me, involving a sullen mopey ukrainian wife, her parents, and a picnic, bit it's a long story and not really relevant)

there was NOBODY around on a saturday at 9:30am, not a car anywhere. so sure enough as soon as I get down into the pit/clearing a car pulls up and starts yelling at me(it was a guy who mistook my car for his friends car) he left but then as I was just starting to shoot, he drives by again and very, very slow like he's casing out my car. I'm thinking damm nobody around here but this guy, made me nervous. so he left, and I got to shoot. only problem with this spot is the only backtstop is up against the road. it's way below the road but in the direction of the road, like 30 feet below it. nice backstop but it was mostly rock and not much of an area to even set up a cardboard box that would sit straight.

so I first shot my Kel tec P11 with the uber long trigger pull and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, not used to this gun. big muzzle flip and not very accurate. so I took out my ruger SR9 and bamm hit the bullseye right away. I love this gun and probably should not have bought the kel tec. I was seduced by the $235 for a 9mm with a ten round mag, figuring it was better than a snub nosed 38 with only 5 rounds.

anyway what I really went up there for was to try my zastava pap AK47. what a kick. after shooting the kel tec with the 6 inch long trigger pull and muzzle flip, shooting the AK was amazing. barely had to pull on the trigger and it goes bang, and not much of a kick at all. I love this thing but I sort of wish I had gotten a regular one with a 30 round magazine with the capibility for an even larger magazine. (I can't imagine shooting one with the 75 round drum magazine, you really need this for zombies)

anyway I left pretty soon cause I didn't want to get in trouble since it was private property.

so I backed up and right where the very last pit is where they have those yellow cement barricades that say "private property/no dumping/no shooting" is just before you get into the forrest service land so I thought nobody's up here I'll do it in this pit.

So you went ahead and trespassed, right?

well yah, but after I shot a few times, I left and then I stopped by two other guys shooting down the road a bit in an area just like mine and asked them if they were concerned at all about this, since it's technically private property, did they worry about a sheriff coming up there since I had heard that the area is patrolled and they said they see sheriffs coming up the road many times and the officers just wave at them and drive on by, they don't care they said as long as they pick up their trash before they go. and it does look cleaner up there than I remember from years ago when it was not marked or signed at all. before it was a mass of shells and junk, now very little, but it's obvious that people are still shooting up there frequently. these two guys were up there for hours and no sheriffs coming by.

Update on the possible Sultan gun range
HeraldNet.com - Local news: Nudist club drops its suit, allowing land transfer for gun range near Sultan

SULTAN -- An outdoor recreation club for nudists agreed last month to dismiss its lawsuit challenging state's transfer of trust lands to Snohomish County for a future gun range.

While letting the state off the hook, Lake Bronson Associates has vowed to keep close watch on Snohomish County and its plans to build a public shooting range along Sultan Basin Road. Concerns about noise and environmental damage remain for the club and other neighbors.

decided to go ahead and buy a mosin/nagant russian sniper rifle. you can literally get these for $68 up to a lot more, I found one place that sold refurbished ones with laminated stocks for $99. comes complete with a bayonet, sling, ammo pouches, everything. can be accurate to 500 yards or more. one thing I wish the sultan range would have, would be a real long range rifle range more than the usual 100 yards. I'd love to try to hit something from 500 yards with this thing! scope next purchase

Ever consider taking the ferry?

That ferry is actually part of my commute.

I've taken the ferry many times and I would but my vehicle is a gas hog and I really dont feel like taking the ferry anymore over to kingston... But if theres a good shooting spot out there Im willing to pay that extra bit of monies to get there

Update on the possible Sultan gun range
HeraldNet.com - Local news: Nudist club drops its suit, allowing land transfer for gun range near Sultan

SULTAN -- An outdoor recreation club for nudists agreed last month to dismiss its lawsuit challenging state's transfer of trust lands to Snohomish County for a future gun range.

While letting the state off the hook, Lake Bronson Associates has vowed to keep close watch on Snohomish County and its plans to build a public shooting range along Sultan Basin Road. Concerns about noise and environmental damage remain for the club and other neighbors.

Come back and visit this again in a year. I'll bet that the whole thing hasn't progressed beyond the "Planning" stage. I doubt that we'll see any development on this site for the next 5 years unless someone builds a fire under the Snohomish County Council. If they don't have the money for Roads, I seriously doubt they'll spend any on the "range".

If they aren't going to develop this range anytime soon, they ought to take a County "dozer" out there and build some good berms. Put up a gate and set a mobile home at the entrance. Put someone that that's drawing State Assistance in it and have them collect $5/head for shooting there. This person could make sure that no TV's, Washer/Driers, Produce, etc are used for targets. Could also make sure that everyone cleans up after themselves. At least that way there'd be a place that people could shoot without getting hassled in the area.

Typical political position. "We're doing something, and we'll finish it when we want. Not a day sooner"

decided to go ahead and buy a mosin/nagant russian sniper rifle. you can literally get these for $68 up to a lot more, I found one place that sold refurbished ones with laminated stocks for $99. comes complete with a bayonet, sling, ammo pouches, everything. can be accurate to 500 yards or more. one thing I wish the sultan range would have, would be a real long range rifle range more than the usual 100 yards. I'd love to try to hit something from 500 yards with this thing! scope next purchase

I'd like to see someone develop something like this nearby:

<broken link removed>

Ranges out to 1,000 yards. A range for just about anything you can shoot. Camping facilities too. Unfortunately, this facility is about a 3 day drive from here.

I went up off of Green Mountain Rd/FR41 today and scouted around. Found a few spots that looked good and are inside the National Forest. Please folks, "Leave no trace" if you go up and shoot. Almost every spot I found had obviously been visited by shooters before. The garbage left behind is embarrassing. The main reason these places are becoming fewer and fewer is so many shooters that are inconsiderate and leave messes. I set up at one remote spot that wasn't much more than a wide spot in the road that gave me 50' or so to work with and a safe backstop. I shot about 200 rounds of 9mm and .40, used paper targets in a target stand, policed almost all of my brass (only three 9mm unaccounted for). When I left, the place looked as it did when I arrived.

Another place I came across later was so disgusting I spent about 20 minutes just cleaning up other peoples garbage and didn't even shoot there. I packed out six grocery bags of 12 gauge casings, broken beer bottles, aluminum cans, and other misc "evidence" of target shooting.

Looking forward to return trips, as it is a reasonable 25 miles at most from my house, much closer than I used to go out to Sultan and up Highway 2. The range fees I save easily cover the gas for the extra 30 miles it is vs. going to Norpoint in Arlington, and I can do things they never let you do in a range such as shooting from holster or on the move. Heck today I played around peeking out from behind cover (my Jeep) and doing double taps to the bad guy. When is the last time they let you stand 6' from the target, draw and run away while firing at ANY range???.

Standing and shooting at static targets is great for learning trigger control and marksmanship, but doesn't do much for practicing real world self-defense scenarios. I live pretty much smack in the middle between Sam's and Norpoint, so it is 6 to one and 1/2 dozen the other. Traffic tends to be better going north, and even though the fees are a little higher, of the two, I prefer Norpoint. I used to be a member at Sam's but there is one jerk that works the range that totally turns me off. I am sure it is the same tool that rubs everyone else wrong and I don't know why with his reputation they keep him employed there. Additionally, there are way too many "questionable" characters and the place is freezing during the winter months at Sam's.

Indoor ranges are nice for some things, and I have never been disappointed at Norpoint, BUT, I much prefer to be outdoors where I can do my own thing and not have to worry about breaking some stupid rule put in place to appease liability lawyers and insurance underwriters. With weather getting better looking to make some frequent trips up towards Verlot in the coming months.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top