JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been doing some research and it seems like ATF seems to be a popular alternative to gun oil. I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience using ATF fluid over regular gun oil. I have been thinking of doing the switch but would like to do some due diligence before I do so.

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Awesome, i'm thinking of getting some synthetic ATF or synthetic blend. I haven't actually smelled ATF before and heard that it is pretty horrible. However, I am all for it if it functions fine and doesn't mess up my guns.

While you can use automatic transmission fluid on firearms, what is the advantage of doing so, when there are so many great products designed specifically for firearms? It doesn't make sense.

Can you put ketchup, mustard, and relish on an ice cream sundae? Sure. Can you put oil and vinegar salad dressing on your Cheerios? Of course. But why would anyone do that? Just to be different? I don't get it.

Excuse me while I put Break-Free in my transmission, and Hoppe's No. 9 in my windshield washer fluid reservoir.

Transmission fluid has many uses. It is also a great degreaser. As far as putting some on my gun, I would if it didn't smell so bad.

Screw the ATF...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................oil

Other than ATF fluid being a lot cheaper compared to a relativly small bottle of quality gun oil, I don't see any reason to use it.
A bottle of oil lasts forever anyway, and it was designed for gun use, not your transmission.

It works well in cold weather, where breakfree gets gummy and oil can thicken up.

According to the MSDS for ATF <broken link removed> the pour point (the lowest temperature at which it will still pour) is -49° F.
According to the MSDS for Break-Free <broken link removed> the pour point is -65° F.

I guess the question should be, what makes gun oil "gun oil"? And, what other more affordable oils are as good as and maybe even better for our guns? Same questions should be asked about gun grease. No doubt Break Free is great, but, do we need Break Free products for everything, every time? Questions to ask yourself if you are one of those who shoot their guns often and clean them every time you come back from the range. Not all of us live and shoot our guns under extreme environmental conditions.

The money I spent on marketing does not lube my gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top