JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I applied for a ''Service Worker'' position passed the math and reading test's and have a panel interview scheduled for monday, I am horrible in panel interviews any tips or tricks to calm my nerves and or prepare for?

I applied for a ''Service Worker'' position passed the math and reading test's and have a panel interview scheduled for monday, I am horrible in panel interviews any tips or tricks to calm my nerves and or prepare for?

Jack Daniels. Might as well be part of the Trimet Team.

I'm no hiring type person but one thing I do in any interview, panel or individual, is try to never answer a question "no." If an interviewer asked something like; "Have you any experience with ABC?" If not I would answer along the lines of "I haven't done ABC yet but am familiar with DEF which I believe is very similar. ABC has always interested me and I'm willing to learn. I am sure I could pick ABC up expediently if I had access to a book or some simple instruction on it."

I wouldn't advise imagining all of your interviewers naked. Maniacal laughter is probably not a trait most employers look for in a candidate.

I have had the most success in panel interviews when I've managed to connect with a few of the panel members on topics other than the job specific topics. For example, I am an avid motorcycle rider and have this on my resume. I've had more than one interviewer tell me that they'd requested to sit on my panel just based on that common interest we share. Connecting with the interviewers will move the conversation out of the interview mindset and into a more semi-casual conversation about whether you are a good fit. Discussing personality fit is a step further in the selection process because it already assumes you are a good, motivated, hard working person. I'd suggest you approach this as a conversation with future colleagues than an interview to alleviate the stress.

All of this assumes, you dress appropriately, show up on time and have done your research. Good luck!

Prepare 4-5 stories related to the position you are applying for. If they are using performance based interviewing (all the rage these days in gummint jobs) you will get asked questions like:
Tell me about a time when your supervisor was not present and you had to make an important decision.
Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer. What did you do and how did it work out?
Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflict between you and a co-worker. How did you resolve it and what was the outcome?
Tell me about a time when things didn't work out as planned. What went wrong, what did you learn from it, and how was the issue resolved?

Use different situations for each question. You may not have this type of interview, but its good to be prepared.

The next, and maybe most important thing, is to keep in mind that you are there to interview them as well. You are looking for a good fit, and if you don't get what you are looking for, then its probably best to look elsewhere. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads