Anybody still believe in global warming ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jib, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jib

jib Active Member

0   0   0
    Well with "climate gate" the Earth's temperature at a 20yr low, and sunspot activity being linked to warming and cooling cycles of the Earth,
    I'm thinken it's all about the money :paranoid:
  2. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 Active Member

24   0   0
    Yes!

But I believe in Santa too!
    Merry Christmas to all!
  3. saxon

saxon Active Member

5   0   0
    to answer,,,, no i do not
    i have a link around on a computer some were that has a photo
    of the article that was in popular science about global cooling from the early 70's
    its all about control
    Glock Jock and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Active Member

Western edge of Portland, stones throw from Beaver
    47   0   0
    Just ask Chicken Little, the sky if falling!
  5. jib

jib Active Member

0   0   0
    One would think the "powers that be" would be content with their billions :( But oh no they need to rule the world, so they can tell me how many sheets of TP I can wipe my a$$ with. If you think this statement sounds absurd, just wait awhile it will soon make more sense.
  6. JohnWayne

JohnWayne Member

1   0   0
    Yes I believe the globe warms..... and cools
  7. wolfwistle

wolfwistle Member

9   0   0
    Al Gore did not invent the internet ,but he did invent global warming
    Classic, Grunwald, MTpockets and 5 others like this.
  8. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

1   0   0
    He said it best...I think our carbon footprint will degrade the quality of air, but the plants and even our own planet adapts.

Climategate used to be one of the things I believed in as well....even sat through all of An Inconvenient Truth. However, after hearing about how they've bumped the temperature numbers, even straight falsified and lied about figues, then the discoveries of once frozen-over mines and former artic settlements- I've kinda slipped away from this theory and made up my own mind. I actually think it is funny that the man that says he invented the internet demands life changing policies, yet lives in a house that consumes more than ten times he electricity than your average home. I like to listen to the guys that practice what they preach, myself.
    BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. jib

jib Active Member

0   0   0
    The plants require CO2 for photosynthesis without CO2 they would die.
    BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. dobeman

dobeman Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

54   0   0
    I believe in natural cycles of climate change. Cycles happened long before this generation and will continue to happen long after. Unless some big *** solar flare causes a pole shift or something - 2012 is around the corner.
  11. vico512

vico512 Member

0   0   0
  12. donMiguel

donMiguel Active Member

1   0   0
    It is all about the money.

But the money is in the entrenched way of doing things, oil industry and the money it flows to legislators, auto industry and the money it flows to legislators, private utilities and the money it flows to legislators... see a pattern?

Scientists are generally in agreement that man is impacting the climate of this planet, causing changes to atmospheric composition at rates unprecedented in recorded history (recorded in polar ice and sediments, not by the hand of man).

If you want a conspiracy theory, look to those who currently reap the benefits; follow the money. It does not lead to windmills or economy cars. It leads to oil and SUVs. By highlighting the fuzz in the data, the minor inconsistencies in data, in expectations, in failure of results to perfectly match expectations, and the aberrant egos and behaviors of some of the researchers, those currently reaping the benefits continue to reap the benefits.
    People fear the unknown, and change brings the unknown. How much will the price of energy go up? Will it change my lifestyle? Can I still drive the F350 hunting? For vacation? To work every day? Can I keep the hot tub heated? WTF is a carbon tax? And why do I have to trade my cap?
    For the short term, we won't notice so much? Our island nation will not disappear beneath the waves. And we are not like the Indian subcontinent, with a billion folks living in flood plains just marginally above starvation. So we will get by, and with no changes... right? Right?!
    To the original question, yeah, without a doubt, I still believe. And change is coming, in rainfall, in weather patterns and intensities. And maybe we should be a little bit afraid of the unknown. And maybe we should do something about it too.
    Robo, dwaineshort, Sincere and 11 others like this.
  13. jib

jib Active Member

0   0   0
    Well if the U.N said it, it must be true. Who's their daddy ?

Greenland has been covered in ice for some time now, but there is a reason it is called Greenland. It is uncertain that the name was given by Norsemen to entice settlement or to describe the land scape, but it is certain the Romans grew grapes in Britannia in those days.
  14. Mason3379

Mason3379 Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

50   0   0
    Did anyone believe it to begin with?? It is all about money! PERIOD! Certain people stand to reap huge profits from the "green movement". Here in Oregon we Depend on Boardman coal plant for fifteen percent of our base load for electricity. This may not seem like much but trust me it is! Now imagine that coal that cost $15-25 per Mega Watt Hour, is switched to wind energy(Reliable for only 33% of the time and blows when it wants) sounds great right?? Wrong! Wind energy runs $70-90 per MWh, not to mention solar PV as well as the biomass that they want to run at boardman(still $50-70per MWh). They plan on taxing coal to death so to speak. So if you think your 3.5% increase on Jan. 1 is big, just wait until they shut down Boardman and we are more dependent on the so called "green energy" Which really is not "green" if you know anything about the process it takes to build one single wind turbine. The "green Movement" is just that "GREEN" because of the money "they" will make and "YOU" the rate payer and everyday guy will have to scrap from the bottom of the piggy bank to keep your lights on.
    People need to wake up and see that Cap and Trade will be the largest tax EVER imposed on every single person in The U.S. along with other countries. To think I have talked to die hard liberals and they seem to think it will only cost the companies??!! since when did the companies not pass the cost on to the consumer?? Oh that's right NEVER.
    And I am off my soap Box!
    Merry Christmas!
    By the way, how is it the ELECTRIC car is gonna help anything? DO THEY NOT REALIZE YOU HAVE TO PLUG IT IN AND GET THE ELECTRICITY SOMEWHERE?? These are the same people paying ten dollars a month extra for "Green Energy"! Idiots!
  15. Mason3379

Mason3379 Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

50   0   0
    Funny thing is that your Prius pollutes more over the total life of the vehicle than an H2 hummer. Get your facts and stop licking the salt lick with the other sheep. You need to look into the damage that your precious lithium mines do to our environment before you point fingers at the "F350" Crowd!
  16. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Active Member

17   0   0
    Michael Criton's book "State of Fear" is an excellent read. It's a fictional story annotated with facts and figures. Warming trend? Almost certainly. To say it's mainly man-caused is the height of homo-sapien arrogance.
  17. jib

jib Active Member

0   0   0
    Well.. just the wealthier ones. The Cap and Trade agenda is about leveling the global playing field, we saw this prior to the EU, that was just a test, this ones for the whole enchilada.
  18. donMiguel

donMiguel Active Member

1   0   0
    Facts, yes, would be useful. For example, I don't own a Prius, didn't mention them in my post, and don't see them as salvation.

But I do see the immediate descent to irrational mud slinging and name calling a sign of the difficulties to come.

But through a lot of minor changes, maybe there is a way forward. Gasoline consumption in the US may have peaked, at least for a while. That should reduce growth in greenhouse gas emissions.
    HTML:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i2YitVQIJRBssIHu2s0xjAcnGKRw?docId=865c96a225634368a4f92eed4bcd0892
    And if we don't treat every change which benefits the planet as a "from my cold dead hands" conflict, maybe agriculture and rainfall won't get too far out of whack.
  19. mattg521

mattg521 Member

18   0   0
    I think the disapearance / shrinking of glaciers almost everywhere is excellent evidence of global warming.

Doesn't prove anything re: causation.

Is man contributing to global warming? Seems exceedingly likely but to what degree?

We undertake alot of activity that produces heat that dosen't occur in nature.

Greenhouse gas seems to be pretty well understood and agreed upon in the scientific community.

This still does not prove to what degree mankind is responsable for the increase.

The global system is so complex and emormous as to defy specific understanding of each individual mechanism's effect on the whole.
  20. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    When Al Gore left the office of the vice presidency he had just under two million in his bank account, now,, over two billion, hmm.
    President Obama has promised 1.2% of our GDP annually to third world nations, yet there still is no plan as to whom or where the monies will go, or how it will be divided.
    Is global warming/cooling real? Yes. Are we the cause of it? We will all be long gone when it happens again, and again, and again, and again etc.
    That there is so much money to be made on carbon cap and trade is the root of the big hoax that we will all doomed if we don't all apply to this hypothesis. While I agree that we should do all in our power to leave this planet a better place for our children's children, we also have an obligation to them that they should be able to afford to live,, and as free men without being under the rule of foreign domination, tax or world law.
    This is the United States of America and we are allowing ourselves to be led by those that would have us be more "like Europe" to quote our president. We have Spent 236 years as a nation, being a nation, and I for one have no stomach for returning to European rule. To cap this rant,, Global warming is a scam period.
    God Bless America, and merry Christmas.
    Brutus57 and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.