JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ok so i have taken the liberty of adding all the details of this thread and who has and who needs what, and where located.

its looking good for a seattle area build session for tooling and expertise, but not for a location to host.

I'm interested in building my own Draco pistol.. anyone here have experience? I'm in the Olympia area, not too far away. I don't have any parts for it yet, it's just in the imagination phase right now. I have a drill press and lots of hand tools and once was a riveter (aluminum/steel) for about 4 months as a young man doing 18 wheeler trailers

I've done everything to an AK but build one.

I am in the process of acquiring a kit and a flat.

Has there been a location determined yet? Is it in the Seattle area? If I could secure a building that has decent parking, doesn't mind tools, close to I-5, clean facilities and near restaurants, would people mind coming south around Puyallup/Tacoma?

SF-

If it was in the summer I would be able to host it at my place in Lacey. I have a garage slot we could use if I can park my cobra outside. She's a garage queen and does not see rain.. but I have a cover to temp park it outside in good weather

If we did it in some public location, I do have a small contractor's generator for the power tools

Hello there, I'm new to this forum...and also new to AK building. I happened upon this thread via google, and was wondering if this Seattle-Area build party was still being planned.

Ive done quite a lot of research, and have acquired a parts kit so far...working on re-finishing the wood and de-milling it right now. I plan on getting the rest of it very soon, but i don't have any heavy machinery or jigs to put it all together.

If this build party is still on, i'd like to be added. I'd chip in for any space rental/tool rental fees of course.

I hope this happens...

Hi Letric,

At the moment I believe there are people who have the equipment, but we have no place to host. From what I understand.

I'm really hoping we get to all get together soon as well.

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse,

That's exactly what that link says:

(a)(1) Firearms. You, as a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer of firearms, must legibly identify each firearm manufactured or imported as follows:

(i) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than1/16inch; and

(ii) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. For firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(A) The model, if such designation has been made;

(B) The caliber or gauge;

(C) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer;

(D) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business

As a licensed FFL you MUST do the required paperwork and actually transfer the item to the end user.

So in closing: You can bend and build as many AK's as you want but they cannot be sold legally. If you wish to sell a rifle you have built at a later date then you need to go through the proper channels and actually purchase a bent receiver or have an 07 FFL make one for you. ;)

but I just found this
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/BATFE-AMD-65-Manufacture-Marking-2004-11-09.pdf

page 2 2nd paragraph makes no mention of a need to replace the receiver.
It simply states that The Firearm Must be marked in accordance with the provisions set forth in 27 CFR § 478.92

Again, I am not trying to start anything, I just want to make sure that
all the information is out there.

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse,

but I just found this
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/BATFE-AMD-65-Manufacture-Marking-2004-11-09.pdf

page 2 2nd paragraph makes no mention of a need to replace the receiver.
It simply states that The Firearm Must be marked in accordance with the provisions set forth in 27 CFR § 478.92

Again, I am not trying to start anything, I just want to make sure that
all the information is out there.

No one said there was a need to replace a receiver. I simply said that YOU as an individual can bend your own AK receiver but it cannot LEGALLY be sold to someone else down the road without either filling out the ATF form 1 or having an 07FFL stamp the receiver and transfer it back to you or the end user. Guys that build their own AK receiver and then sell the completed rifle down the road without having it properly identified are breaking the law, period. If you want to bend 50 AK receivers and build 50 rifles for yourself you can. You cannot LEGALLY decide to sell one later and do so without it being properly identified as stated in 27 CFR § 478.92.

Here is the excerpt from that section: "Sec. 478.92 How must licensed manufacturers and licensed importers identify firearms, armor piercing ammunition, and large capacity ammunition feeding devices?

(a)(1) Firearms. You, as a licensed manufacturer or licensed
importer of firearms, must legibly identify each firearm manufactured or
imported as follows:
(i) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped
(impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual
serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not
susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must
not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For
firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the
engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must
be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than
\1/16\ inch; and
(ii) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped
(impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain
additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not
susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. For
firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the
engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be
to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(A) The model, if such designation has been made;
(B) The caliber or gauge;
(C) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when
applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer;
(D) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State
(or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer
maintain your place of business.

Notice how it reads a LICENSED MANUFACTURER? Unless you are an 07FFL you MUST either fill out a Form 1 or have an 07FFL do it for you in order to LEGALLY sell that rifle. I never understood why people wanted to bend their own flats. You have to buy the flat, heat treat the rails, heat treat the axis pin holes at the very least, trim upper rails, install and press the center support rivet, spot weld in the lower rails, in some cases drill all your trunnion holes and finish the receiver whether it be Parkerize, Blue, DuraCoat or whatever. Not to mention either buy, rent, borrow the jigs and other tooling. It is NOT worth it in my opinion to go through all the trouble to bend your own when for $55 shipped to your FFL you can get a Nodak Spud receiver that is complete and just needs to have a finish put on it. It's not glamorous or rewarding to build your own receiver. It's troublesome and aggravating at best. Some yourself the time and frustration and buy a completed one. Spend that extra time building your rifle instead. Also if you decide down the road that one needs to go or you aren't the AK fan you thought you were...you can sell it with no added work or issues.

Flats and heat treating seem to be the most complicated part of the build, Ive seen guys with a bolt cutter with special tips and a hammer assemble an ak from a parts kit on youtube, It would appear to me that the barrel assembly on newly imported kits is the hardest part, I have a few Nodak receiver on order in the hopes of finding decently priced kits in the future. I trust Nodak as far as receivers go, even if century does the rest of the work. If somebody has the place to host i could possibly be convinced to purchase a few necessary tools, i would much rather spend the 90$ to get a front trunion rivet tool then a pair of bolt cutter jaws if i know i was going into the project with few other people who knew more then me in terms of what we all was involved

BTT..

good to see some progress on the google spreadsheet.

just to throw this out there, anyone going to the appleseed event in SW washington in july? maybe we could meet FTF there and talk shop?

also is one of those 20 ton presses too much to ask for someone to bring along? otherwise i dont see how renting a space might bear fruit?

hello all i have the following tools for sale now as i do not need them, my building is complete
1) ak-builder trigger jig
2) ak-builder receiver flat bending jig
3) ak-builder riveting tool
4) spot welder from ak-builder
if ya need these and want these give me an offer
thanks

I won't be attending since by builds are done and I don't for see doing another in the near future for finical reasons......but I have a 20 ton press I could loan out if it is needed

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top