JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
i know i can make this from 7mm rem mag brass , thought i would put up this note to see if anyone has any 7x61 7 x 61 sharpe & hart brass sitting around they dont need, just bought a schutlz &larsen rifle and am looking for ammo or brass , wanna go whack something with a new toy, thanks

Here's a little on the 7 X 61. I have more in old loading manuals I have. It's very close to the 7mm Rem. Mag. If you decide to handload ammo, I have a few references I can copy for you.

From an older Hornady manual:
"The 7 X 61 was developed by the well known handloading authority Phil Sharpe in collaboration with Richard F. Hart as a high velocity 7mm suitable for all North American game. It achieved factory produc*tion in 1953 in rifles produced by the Danish firm of Schultz and Larson. Ammunition is now produced by Norma.

Based on an experimental French 7mm military cartridge Sharpe dis*covered as an ordnance officer in WW II, the commercial version of the cartridge is belted and features a very abrupt shoulder. Its power falls between standard 7mm's and the 7mm Weatherby Magnum or more recent 7mm Remington Magnum.

The following 7x61 S&H once enjoyed has been far outstripped by the popularity of the more recent 7mm Remington Magnum. The older cartridge remains, however, a respectable performer, and for Sharpe & Hart owners who'd care to test its potential for long range target shooting we have included loads for our 7mm Boat Tail Hollow Point bullet."

There are 3 ways for you can go. Ammo was once made by Norma and Federal. I don't think they still offer it, but you could check. You might be able to locate some vintage stuff but this will take some searching. Try a google search. I think Old Western Scrounger is out of business. He carried a lot of outdated stuff. Second, if you are a handloader, you can get dies from RCBS. You can resize 7mm Remington Magnum cases and then trim the length. This is a fairly easy conversion if you have any experience handloading. This would keep the gun "as is". Lastly, since the 7 X 61 is a little shorter in key dimensions, you could have a GOOD gunsmith ream the chamber out to 7mm mag. The bolt face is the same as all the belted magnums (about .535") so only the chamber would need to be modified. I think they would feed just fine as they are so close in size. They should do a chamber cast first to verify that it will work, I.E. comparing the 7 X 61 chamber to the 7mm mag. reamer. Based on the drawings, I see no reason it wouldn't work. The neck diameters on the reamer would have to match the current neck diameter or ideally be slightly (.001 to .002" or so) larger NOT smaller. A smaller reamer would leave a step.

If you locate some 7 X 61 brass or ammo. Let me know. Another guy here is in the boat with you.

i know i can make this from 7mm rem mag brass , thought i would put up this note to see if anyone has any 7x61 7 x 61 sharpe & hart brass sitting around they dont need, just bought a schutlz &larsen rifle and am looking for ammo or brass , wanna go whack something with a new toy, thanks

Charlieboy1122 replying to your request for 7 x 61 S&H ammo. I have 24 loaded rounds of Norma Re 7 x 61 S&H and 18 cases with primers ready to load. I also have 32 rounds of Norma Super 7 x 61 S&H loaded and 39 cases with primers ready to load. I was going to list on gun broker but I saw your request. Email if interested, I will hold off on the auction. Thanks

Here's a little on the 7 X 61. I have more in old loading manuals I have. It's very close to the 7mm Rem. Mag. If you decide to handload ammo, I have a few references I can copy for you.

From an older Hornady manual:
"The 7 X 61 was developed by the well known handloading authority Phil Sharpe in collaboration with Richard F. Hart as a high velocity 7mm suitable for all North American game. It achieved factory produc*tion in 1953 in rifles produced by the Danish firm of Schultz and Larson. Ammunition is now produced by Norma.

Based on an experimental French 7mm military cartridge Sharpe dis*covered as an ordnance officer in WW II, the commercial version of the cartridge is belted and features a very abrupt shoulder. Its power falls between standard 7mm's and the 7mm Weatherby Magnum or more recent 7mm Remington Magnum.

The following 7x61 S&H once enjoyed has been far outstripped by the popularity of the more recent 7mm Remington Magnum. The older cartridge remains, however, a respectable performer, and for Sharpe & Hart owners who'd care to test its potential for long range target shooting we have included loads for our 7mm Boat Tail Hollow Point bullet."

There are 3 ways for you can go. Ammo was once made by Norma and Federal. I don't think they still offer it, but you could check. You might be able to locate some vintage stuff but this will take some searching. Try a google search. I think Old Western Scrounger is out of business. He carried a lot of outdated stuff. Second, if you are a handloader, you can get dies from RCBS. You can resize 7mm Remington Magnum cases and then trim the length. This is a fairly easy conversion if you have any experience handloading. This would keep the gun "as is". Lastly, since the 7 X 61 is a little shorter in key dimensions, you could have a GOOD gunsmith ream the chamber out to 7mm mag. The bolt face is the same as all the belted magnums (about .535") so only the chamber would need to be modified. I think they would feed just fine as they are so close in size. They should do a chamber cast first to verify that it will work, I.E. comparing the 7 X 61 chamber to the 7mm mag. reamer. Based on the drawings, I see no reason it wouldn't work. The neck diameters on the reamer would have to match the current neck diameter or ideally be slightly (.001 to .002" or so) larger NOT smaller. A smaller reamer would leave a step.

If you locate some 7 X 61 brass or ammo. Let me know. Another guy here is in the boat with you.
Charlieboy1122 replying to your request. I have 24 rounds of 7x61 S&H Norma Re loaded and 18 cases with primers ready to load. I also have 32 rounds of 7x61 super Norma loaded and 39 cases with primers ready to load. If your interested you can email. Thanks

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top