JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
S&W M&P Pro. Smooth, nice, great sights. 1st choice.
Beretta 92. Nice trigger, soft shooting. 2nd choice.
Glock 17. Glock. Enough said. 3rd choice.
Ruger P series. Built like tanks. Fairly Accurate. Best bang for the buck. 4th choice.
Sig 226. Nice guns, but I think Sigs are overpriced. 5th choice.

CZ75
USP9 (Cocked and Locked)
P30 LEM
p2000 LEM
Glock 17

I left out the Hi-Power only because they don't have the best triggers and are fairly expensive new and hard to find used. A used USP 9 should be easy to find for about $500. The p30 and P2000 aren't exactly cheap. Personally, if I was just looking for an inexpensive paper puncher I'd buy the CZ. Good luck.

In no particular order:
Glock 17
Glock 19
Sig 226 SRT/tactical
Beretta m9/92

I would like the Sig 226 SRT someday with the tactical rail and high capacity mags, but their $900. So, I would settle for a glock 17 which has the same capacity and rail for a lot cheaper, but not as refined.

Well, a few have mentioned the Browning Hi Power... I will, again. A bit more dear new, these days, and nowhere near the older Belgian ones.

BUT---- a particular variant I've got is the GP Competition, with a five inch barrel and counterweight, target sights. The one I have has the most amazing trigger... smooth and light, no creep or roughness. Whether they were ALL like this in the GP Comp, or this one was "worked over", I've no idea, as I've only fired this one.

ANY BHP is very accurate, but this one is more so.
I had a Springfield XD9, it was alright.... but once I got a BHP I sold it. No comparison.

I see BHP's turn up used, in good working condition, from just below $500 to maybe the high 800's, depending on............

I have carried this one IWB, Bianchi boned hide holster. The longer barrel makes it just a tad less comfortable...... then I found a S&W .40 version in the standard barrel length, my preferred carry gun, and, since the GP Comp is so rare, I leave it home most times. Great for shooting, though..... very soft recoil, extremely accurate, well balanced.....

Since you said range gun, I'd go with P30L.

USP should be on that list too.

If money is tight, M&P will be on next list.

I am considering one too.

Edit: nvm, price is about same.lol

I'm surprised to see Kahr PM9 and Springfield XD on anyone's list considering the criteria listed.

I own a PM and XD's, I like them a lot. The PMs give up a LOT in handling, accuracy and recoil in exchange for excellent conceal ability. While the the XD's are a nice compromise the XDm would be a better "range gun".

To meet the criteria listed by the O.P. I would recommend a heavier gun (less felt recoil), SA or DA/SA (better trigger feel), single stack (mag capacity NOT a concern), long barrel (longer sight radius and accuracy).

1911 in 9mm would fit the bill nicely.

considering 3 and 5, and then 1 on the next one... we shouldn't be seeing so many XDs listed. but people love to deliberately force them into the conversation, as though they're contenders.

1. glock 17
2. glock 34
3. glock 19
4. glock 26
5. glock 17

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR