JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering the purchase of a new 25/06. I want the most accurate production rifle I can get. I am considering a Savage, Remington and the Ruger Number one. I want a 24" barrel leaning toward stainless but blue will do.I want the most accurate rifle I can get. So my question is for less than $1000.00 which rifle and model will give me the best chance of excellent accuracy. Tell my about your experience with the 25/06.

Savage have come a long way since they introduced the accu-trigger. Their accuracy has always been decent out of the box. I dislike their bolt design (I think it ugly as sin), and I don't like the use of a barrel nut.
Remington still makes a decent gun. I do not like their use of sintered metal parts or their extractor system. They do however, have more aftermarket parts available than either the Savage or the Ruger.
I think from an engineering standpoint, the Ruger has the most accuracy potential (simplest design, fewest moving parts). The obvious drawback being that its a single shot. If that bothers you, go with one of the bolt guns. Otherwise, the Ruger would probably be my choice.

I do not have any experience with the 25-06. My taste in the quarter calibers tends more towards the .257 Roberts. It should be a fun new toy though, whichever you decide to go with.

I like Remington, both of mine are accurate. Look at Howa too, I think they build for that cartridge. Ruger builds a quality rifle but if you're an accuracy nut I think the other two are a better choice. Not a big Savage fan. Accurate but ugly.

What is your application (big game, varmints, or bench)?

I have a .25-06 and I love the cartridge. I can load 75 grain varmint bullets at very high velocities or big game bullets that shoot faster and flatter than the .270 or .25-06.

The negatives? A little light for elk. Few choices in factory ammo as far as bullet selection goes. Best if you reload. Bullet BC is not as good as .270 and .30 cal so it does have less energy at longer ranges. Barrel life is 2,000-3,000 rounds if you don't abuse it. Not a great cartridge for high volume shooting like prairie dogs as the barrel gets real hot real fast.

Positives? Will outperform the .22-250 on a windy day and equal it on a calm day. Shoots flatter than the .30-06 and .270. Near magnum trajectories without the kick. If you reload there are great bullet choices for varminting or big game. My .25-06 is a commercial Mauser put together by my uncle in 1973. He made a single shot at 450 yards and dropped a big mulie once. It didn't take a step. Dad said it was as if a laser beam killed it.

If you choose to hunt coyotes or varmints be aware that the .25-06 is awesome but it makes a mess out of things compared to the smaller cartridges out there.

I want the rifle for Deer and Antelope hunting. I will use a bigger rifle for Elk. I also have a 400 yard range and really enjoy shooting at targets there. I am also a hand loader and experimenter.

25-06 is a great long distance deer antelope gun!

If you haven't looked at the Savage in a while, they've changed. They've totally redone much of the "ugliness." They now use a smooth barrel nut so it looks more like a part of the barrel than a nut, they also moved the bolt release to the trigger guard. Also adding 3 action screws holds things tighter.

To top it off they also redid their stocks and now many models use the "accu-stock" system. This is a way they've found to increase their reputation for out-of-box accuracy, while providing a quality product.

I started out buying Rugers, but now I've got more Savage in my safe.

Great for deer/antelope/predators........my ruger lightweight holds minute of angle groups with handloads. Just dont shoot more than 3 rounds in quick sucession or groups open up dramatically

25-06 is arguably the perfect caliber for Antelope. You're looking at probably 200yd shots on average in open Prarie. The flat shooting trajectory of the 25-06 is a big advantage.

I know you said 25-06, but Savage makes a really accurate 6.5x284 for 1000 yard shooting that you might want to consider. However, if you already have all the components for 25-06 staying with that cartridge makes sense.

We "gun guys" will always want an excuse for another rifle and as you all know, we need them. So many calibers, so many choices.....Pick the one you like (or2) and have fun, experiment, and you will have much to keep you busy. I'm sure there are shooters who use .45-70 for antelope just for the challenge....

Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA is a very nice gun for the money.

If you can deal with 22-7/16" I'd have no qualms about recommending a Tikka M595 or T3, they are very accurate and have the smoothest bolt action of any gun i've ever owned or messed with.

I had a Tikka M595 Whitetail hunter for years, but sold it after losing a 30"+ monster mulie a few years back in favor of a .270 winchester Weatherby Ultra-light.

I have shot dozens of Antelope with ny Remington 700 25-06 and Leopold scope. At a flat out run they are hitting 65 mph and I can take them down with extreme accuracy! My wife has hunted with me for years and is amazed at the ability of that caliber to reach out and do the job. Deer are in the same category. I have NEVER simply wounded a deer, but I have knocked many of them *** over teacup with this rifle. I have also taken this elk hunting a few times and have shot a few elk. I do not recommend it for them unless you are absolutely sure of your shot. Distance in the trees will seriously hamper this caliber. Wyoming wind can also be a drawback, say up in the Big Horns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top