JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been looking at some 22-250's, really interested.

What brand/models do you guys reccomend as far as quality, accuracy, price?

Went to a few gun shops today, CZ america, Howa, Ruger, Savage, TC venture, Tikka were some of them I ran into. I dont want to spend over a grand on gun/scope combo.

My buddies parents have a Remington model 700 SPS Varmint 22-250, with a Leupold 6.5-20 Vari-x III scope, which I know is a pretty damn nice set up, they want $900 for it but Im thinking they will take $800, If they agree to $800 i think I will definitely go that route!

Anyways just looking for some advice/opinions.

Thanks!

Unless they have changed the stock, the Remington SPS stock is about as cheap and crappy as they come. However that is a pretty good deal at $800, and you could get a decent Boyds stock and do an okay upgrade. For a few hundred more you could do a really good upgrade with an H.S. Precision, Hogue or Bell and Carlsen stock. I have noticed that with the SPS rifles, if the bolt is jewelled, the action seems of better quality. If it is the flat black bolt, I was never impressed.

My favorite varmint gun is a Remington VSSF II which is excellent in all ways, but sounds like more than you would want to spend. It is certainly the most accurate factory rifle I've ever bought. I have a Savage and while accurate, it isn't the quality of some of the others you have listed. For the money, the Weatherby Vanguard and the Howa rifles are some of the best deals. You list three criteria - quality, accuracy and price, and those are two of very few rifles that will meet all three of them. I've found you usually only get two!

if you could get it for $800 it is a pretty good deal...even better if they have nice rings and scope base for it. the SPS if it is the standard matte black 26" version with cheapie plastic stock is about a $450 gun and the vari-x III scope is 2 generations old for Leupold (see their website- I think that technology is from the 90's and they changed it up in 2003 or so) and worth maybe $450. This is assuming the condition is good and is obviously just my opinion of value :).

IMHO the best bang for the buck in a 22-250 Varmit rifle is the Savage Model 12FV Savage Arms

retails for about $550-575.00 you can upgrade to a Boyds stock for $100-120.00 and add a Nice Mueller 4-16X -50 AO Tactical Scope for $220.00 $50.00 for mount and rings and for your budget have a great highly accurate rifle in the stock you like with a decent piece of glass. NEW TO YOU

You can skip the new stock right away and save some money the factory stock while nothing fancy will sure get the job done.

Went and looked at the Remington today and it is pretty damn nice. They say its shot maybe 200-300 rounds through it. It is in very good condition. The scope is Leupold 6.5-20 vari-x III fine duplex. It is the 26" bull barrel. They agreed to meet in the middle and go $850. I'm gonna shoot it this weekend, but I think i'm most likely gonna buy it. Opinions?

Use a good stable rest and I bet you will be impressed with how it shoots! The 26 inch bull barrel will help moderate the recoil and you will get near maximum velocity out of that length of barrel.

The 22-250 is a barrel burner, but that is a low round count. It should be good for 1500-2000 rounds before accuracy starts to drop off.

It is such a good deal, even if you don't like the rifle, you could keep the scope and sell the gun. That is a really nice scope!

I will join Otter's concern about barrel life, but I will NOT assign the .22-250 a title as "barrel burner".

Certainly, when buying a used varminter in .22-250, one should be concerned about barrel wear. I would be questioning validity of round count with these questions:

1) Did you handload for the gun? (A serious handloader would put 200-300 rounds through such a gun in merely 4-5 days on the bench).

2) Where is the brass? (A serious handloader would have it. A factory-load "plinker guy" would have left it where it lay: supporting a possible 200-300 round count).

You can see that I would be very cautious about buying any used .22-250. BUT: I have bought them, and been very happy.

Accuracy will NOT necessarily "drop off" at 1500-2000 rounds. Not if the barrel is cared for (cleaned properly and regularly), loaded not to extreme at all times, and not heated to extreme. Forget these items of care, and Otter's admonition could be assigned at only 100 rounds (with cartridges much more mild than a .22-250).

Unless the shooter is in regular competition with his gun (as I have been), or spends long days in prarie-dog towns (as I currently do), a .22-250 barrel will deliver a lifetime of shooting pleasure, adhering to the easy precautions previously mentioned.

For a guy wanting a fat-barreled .22-250, you are looking at just about the best one you could have stumbled on. Take Otter's caution to heart, but not to gospel. You can make that gun last nearly forever with only concientious care.

Someone created a scale of calibers ranked by how quickly they will burn out a barrel. The 22-250 was on the barrel burner end of the scale, and that jives with my experiences. Sure it isn't as bad as a 220 Swift, but it is a close neighbor on the scale.

It all depends on how you define accuracy too. I've found all calibers reach a certain number of rounds and will start to throw an unexplained shot or two out of the groups. With my 22-250 barrels that starts to occur as I indicated above. Other guys have told me the same and we agree the 22-250 is an over-bore cartridge, meaning it burns a lot of powder for the diameter of the barrel. That is why I'm a big advocate of the .223. It is like the energizer bunny of rounds. I've had barrels go 3,000 to 5,000 rounds without losing any noticable accuracy. When I say loses accuracy, it could mean a rifle that will hold a 1/2 inch group is now shooting a 3/4 inch group or slightly bigger. For most people that would not be considered losing accuracy. I would probably rebarrel at that time, but if all I was doing is shooting sage rats or prairie dogs, I would shoot the crap out of it until it melted off the end of the action. Sage rats don't require pinpoint accuracy in the fields I hunt. We are still blasting the stupid ones.

When buying any gun used, I pretty much assume the barrel is shot out of it for this simple reason, which I observe at the range all the time. A guy shows with one rifle and proceeds to shoot and shoot and shoot without letting the barrel cool. You can probably do more damage to a barrel in 100 rounds of fast shooting than you can shooting 1,000 rounds the right way by letting the barrel cool off between groups. About the only way you can see this excessive wear in a used rifle, which appears as fire cracking in the throat, is if you own or have access to a bore scope.

I would get the CZ-550 varmint kevlar if I was in the market for one. But I wouldn't buy a 22-250 and instead I have a "CZ-527 Varmint Kevlar" in .223 and 204 Ruger. I would agree with what others have posted regarding the 22-250.

I got my 204 for just under $800. Though you might want to hurry as I don't see them on the web site now. Looks like they replaced it with the "target version"

A CZ 527 in Kevlar is the shizzz.

I got it the other day for $850, bought the butt stock shell holder deal and the sling for it today. Now I just gotta get a Harris bi-pod for it and she'll be good to go!

First kill with it today too, robin at around 100 yards at the very top of a big maple tree!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top