JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are in part, doing yourself a big favor by doing a BGC on a sale.

You sell to a felon, and this is bad ju ju
As far as the gun make model and SER##
If you are buying, and the gun turns out to be hot, that's also bummer, especially if you decide to sell it later, and it then ends up heading to a police prop room as a stolen gun.
You will likely be out your $$$

There are some good things in this stuff, but sadly these laws can be perverted dreadfully

Snowy

Its the mandatory part and the behind the scenes registration that people object to !

There are some good things in this stuff, but sadly these laws can be perverted dreadfully

What wrong with this?

Seller: Calls a phone number and asks if "John Doe" is prohibited from buying a gun.
Buyer: Calls 800-432-5059 and asks if the gun is stolen.

Both get off the phone and money changes hands and the state is prohibited from recording any information from calls made to those phone numbers.

The current system is set up to gather detailed info about gun sellers and buyers to be used against them. Frankly the state has no business telling someone they can't own a firearm, if they are that dangerous lock them up. But if you are a proponent of a background check then why do you want the particulars of the seller and the gun reported and not just the the info on the buyer needed to clear them for a purchase?

This is all kinds of wrong, but even if background checks for private sales were a good thing, why would they need the "make, model, caliber, and serial number" of the gun to be transferred? I thought it was a background check on the buyer, not a registry of the guns that people buy? Theoretically, they can only keep the record for 5 years, but who knows how that is handled.

NSA

As a part of the proposed bill, the seller is responsible for retaining the authorization number. If this were to pass, there would be complaints about the state requirement for an individual to retain a record of a transaction. Next step would be a change to have individuals send the info to the state. I simply don't see how any competent person cannot see how this comes down to registration. It just can't work without it.

We can even refer to the current federal ban on creating and maintaining a database. All that's needed is a subcontract, and the government is out of it. Or even easier, an EO to change it.

Don't think for a second this is something innocuous is any way shape or form. The argument went on ad nauseam last year and it all boils down to the same thing, i.e., nothing to do with guns, everything to do with control.

Oregon'sOnlyNo Compromise Gun Rights Organization

Obey The Law, Go To Jail

To illustrate just how dangerous Floyd Prozanski's gun registry billis, we needonly look toa case heardin the Supreme Court Wednesday.

The Court heard"Abramskivs United States"a case inwhich OFF contributed to an Amicus brief filed by other statewide gun groups and Gun Owners of America.

Bruce Abramski purchased a pistol(legally with a background check)in Virginia. Hethen took the pistol to Pennsylvania and transferred the pistol to his uncle, through a dealer, with a background check.

As a result he was charged with making a "straw purchase" and convicted. The implications of this are breathtaking. Just imagine if they start applying this logic anytime a gun is transferred, (sold, given, traded)from its "original"purchaser. (Some of the comments by the Justices will also trouble you.)And this is why Prozanski's universal registration scheme is so very dangerous.

Floyd wants to extend this kind of entrapment into virtually every transfer that takes place, even if you give a gun to your best friend.

But Floyd and his cronies can't stop lying about what the billis and what it does.

Ina Statesman Journal article published today, Prozanski said:

"If the Legislature wanted to create a statewide gun registry it's been collecting this information on dealer and gunshow sales for23 years.It's not a registry. [The bill]extends what our current law has been since 1989; a process for background checks to be completed. All we are doing is closing a loophole."

This does not even make sense. First he admits the state has been collecting this information for "23years" (personal info and the make, model, caliber and serialnumber of the transferred gun) then he says "It's not a registry." Really?Then what IS it?

But the lies don't stopthere. Floyd then said:

"In the 23years that we've had background checks in this state, it has never led to confiscation of gun."

The absurdity of this statement can only make you wonder if Floyd is only a liaror if he is actually delusional. Perhaps he never heard of David Pyles.

David's life was turned upside down, his home was invaded, and his property confiscated based on the Oregon State Police turning over information about his legal gun purchases to local police. David had broken no law, had been accused of no crime and there was no warrant for his arrest, yet he was taken into custody based on nothing more than the fact that he had purchased firearms.

The State Police broke the law when they turned over this information. Their punishment? Nothing. David's punishment for having done nothing wrong? He lost his job and his home.

And it is this very agency that Prozanski wants to take over the job of giving you"permission"to give a gun to your uncle.

Of course, when a truly prohibited person attempts a firearm's purchase and is denied, nothing happens to him.

According to the Statesman Journal:

"Oregon State Police spokesman Gregg Hastings said sellers aren't told why a person was denied, and OSP doesn't notify parole or probation officers."

If that's true, and we have every reason to believe it is, it makes this following quote from the same article all the more interesting:

"...but Prozanski, who works as a prosecutor in Eugene and Florence, said he is working on a case where someone is facing a parole violation for trying to buy a gun."

Now how do you suppose anyone knew? Given Prozanski's history of lies, we have noway of knowing if this statement is true.

The Statesman Journal says :

"If you pass your background check, OSP destroys your information after 10 days"

But the fact is, that is only the OSP's published policy (after the David Pyles debacle)it is not the law. The law says they can keep the info for 5 years and ina conversation we had with the retired director of the ID unit a few years ago, he could not tell us how or when records are destroyed.Is it daily? Annually? Is there ever an audit to demonstrate that, in fact, the OSP is not keeping a very easily duplicated database?

As far as enforcement of this Prozanski said:

"We have a code of honor as citizens that you are going to follow the law,"

If he believes that, why would he think Oregonians are selling guns to felons now?

The Abramski case is very troubling and should make you very concerned about expanded background checks. The fact that the State Police ID unit will have complete control over virtually all lawful transfers is cause for concern as well. Please take a moment to contact the members of the Judiciary Committee and express your opposition to this bill.

Contact info for the entire Senate Judiciary Committee is here.

Individual contact info and a sample message follow:

Senator Floyd Prozanski Democrat -District 4-South Lane and north Douglas Counties Capitol phone:503-986-1704 District Phone:541-342-2447 Email:[email protected]

Senator Betsy Close Republican -District 8 -Albany Capitol phone:503-986-1708 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-303, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Senator Michael Dembrow Democrat -District 23-Portland Capitol phone:503-986-1723 District Phone:503-281-0608 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-407, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Senator Jeff Kruse Republican -District 1 -Roseburg Capitol phone:503-986-1701 District Phone:541-580-3276 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-315, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Senator Arnie Roblan Democrat -District 5-Coos Bay Capitol phone:503-986-1705 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-417, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Dear Senator,

SB 1551requires that virtually all private transfers of firearms receive the approval of the State Police. I find that to be offensive and intrusive. Currently qualified buyers at gun dealers are waiting weeks and even months to be "approved"by the police to exercise a basic right. I strongly oppose extending this to private transfers and gifts.

Vote against any restrictions on private transfers.

Yours,

Forward this email

Oregon Firearms Federation | Box 556 | Canby | OR | 97013

Please be unrelenting and do not give up this fight until we win. Please be persistent and hound these senators with your countless emails in opposition to LC 154 aka SB 1551. Please send emails of support to Sen. Roblan and Betsy Johnson in their opposition to SB 1551. Please pound the opposition into the ground. Thanks to all of you that are stepping in fighting this battle. Every day I send in 2-3 emails in opposition to these bills. Maybe some can contribute to OFF financially in their support. I sent in $100 last week and will continue to provide financial assistance for this battle. Please network and sound the alarm. Let's not let the libs turn Oregon into California.

I am all for compromise when it comes to 'gun control'. Before any of you flip your lids and call me traitor, hear me out. We started with a whole pie called the 2nd Amendment. Little nibbles here and there were taken until a large slice was taken in the NFA of '34. Then another large slice was taken in the GCA of '68, both before my time. Along comes another huge slice in the FOPA of '86 and a few others I am sure I have missed. Where is the compromise in those you might ask. There isn't. The compromise comes in taking ground back. A tough job to be sure. Rest assured that I would love to have the entire pie back and will work to make is so, but I don't realistically see that happening in the next handful of administrations barring some sort of miracle. When we have truly compromised and can measure its effects then we can sit down and have a discussion where to go from there. I am all for compromise, but the actual meaning of that word and the newspeak definition that gun grabbers use have nothing in common other than spelling.

I understand that the 'esteemed' Mr. Prozanski has a law degree and has worked as a municipal prosecutor and assistant district attorney. Does he still do any of that in between legislative sessions? I ask because it seems to me that as a prosecutor and assistant district attorney he should know that the valid denials he claims under the background check system are prosecutable. Why hasn't he made an effort to pursue these prosecutions? No muss, no fuss, no debate from those of us who support Rights. A ready to go tool. (I'm pretty sure I have the answer, but feel free to chime in)

HB 1551 Universal background checks. No. NO!!! This bill is attempting to regulate the currently legal and moral act of private citizens selling private property not as a course of business. This thing is wrong in so many ways. Prozanski is full of it, incompetent, a liar, or both. While this bill 'technically' does not create a registration, it feeds information into the OSP database under ORS 166.412(7). How people can fall for his line of shıt I'll never know.

You sell to a felon, and this is bad ju ju
As far as the gun make model and SER##
If you are buying, and the gun turns out to be hot, that's also bummer, especially if you decide to sell it later, and it then ends up heading to a police prop room as a stolen gun.
You will likely be out your $$$

Snowy
I don't need the nanny govt. to protect me from these things and they aren't trying to pass this stuff to save me from losing dollars in a bad deal. If you want to be cautious about buying and selling, methods already exist. This is the first step if not outright registration. Then in a couple of short years comes the restrictions on what you can own and then comes confiscation. Don't be fooled. Vote these people out or they will disarm you.

What is the bills current state? Is it still with the judiciary committee? Or has it passed to the senate president for a vote of the senate (i.e. should the focus be on the judiciary committee and my reps, or just my reps?)

What is the bills current state? Is it still with the judiciary committee? Or has it passed to the senate president for a vote of the senate (i.e. should the focus be on the judiciary committee and my reps, or just my reps?)

Just sitting as far as I know, but they could move it in a heartbeat.

Just sitting as far as I know, but they could move it in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE.

Write all of them.
Never hurts.
You can put your addy on yours but just sign the rest.

"Legislative Concept 154". It is now an official Senate Bill, SB 1551

Contact info for the entire Senate Judiciary Committee is here.

Individual contact info and a sample message follow:

Senator Floyd Prozanski Democrat -District 4-South Lane and north Douglas Counties Capitol phone:503-986-1704 District Phone:541-342-2447 Email:[email protected]

Senator Betsy Close Republican -District 8 -Albany Capitol phone:503-986-1708 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-303, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Senator Michael Dembrow Democrat -District 23-Portland Capitol phone:503-986-1723 District Phone:503-281-0608 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-407, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Senator Jeff Kruse Republican -District 1 -Roseburg Capitol phone:503-986-1701 District Phone:541-580-3276 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-315, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Senator Arnie Roblan Democrat -District 5-Coos Bay Capitol phone:503-986-1705 Capitol address: 900Court St.NE, S-417, Salem, Oregon97301 Email: [email protected]

Dear Senator,

SB 1551requires that virtually all private transfers of firearms receive the approval of the State Police. I find that to be offensive and intrusive. Currently qualified buyers at gun dealers are waiting weeks and even months to be "approved"by the police to exercise a basic right. I strongly oppose extending this to private transfers and gifts.

Vote against any restrictions on private transfers.

Yours,

-------------------------------
I Would add that it is a redundant law attempt, since it is already unlawful to provide or sell a gun to a felon or ineligible person.
This is just one more attempt at registration. Nothing else !

------------------------------
Oregon Firearms Federation | Box 556 | Canby | OR | 97013

Does anyone else feel like gun control is being used as a diversionary tactic? Don't get me wrong, I'm still writing to my representatives and doing what I can to fight this years attempts at further gun control. But, with such a short session this year (an election year no less) and all the mixed messages of when a bill will be heard (if ever voted on) I feel almost as if Democrats are using this platform to distract people from the disastrous healthcare launch, booming unemployment/underemployment and many other pet projects that fell short. They would rather go into an election splitting the voters between gun rights and gun control opposed to letting, even the most amendment, liberals admit that their Representative isn't getting it done on the rest of the issues plaguing the state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top