2014 Oregon Senate and House bills

Discussion in 'Legal & Political' started by bnsaibum, Jan 23, 2014.

1. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Well-Known Member

5   0   0
    Several bills relating to firearms released today.

SB 1551 - Requires person to request criminal background check before transferring firearm to any other person.
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2014R1/Measures/Overview/SB1551

HB 4035 - Allows corrections officer employed by Department of Corrections to lawfully possess weapon in locked gun box in officer's personal vehicle when vehicle is parked in department parking lot and officer is present at department in official capacity.
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2014R1/Measures/Overview/HB4035
    HB 4035 Meeting Feb. 3 at 1 pm HR 343

HB 4068 - Modifies requirements for concealed handgun license applicants.
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2014R1/Measures/Overview/HB4068
    HB 4068 Meeting Feb. 5 at 1 pm HR 343

HB 4075 - Authorizes certain hunters to use battery-powered scoping devices, laser sighting devices and pin sight lights to hunt.
    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2014R1/Measures/Overview/HB4075

I don't think I missed any directly related to firearms, but all of them can be found here. HB 4133 might be of interest to some.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    These freeloaders have nothing else to do? Oregon is past due for a part time legislature!!
  3. Taku

Taku Life Member NRA, and Life Member OSSA, Former USMC Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

10   0   0
  4. Boomerang

Boomerang Active Member

10   0   0
    This is all kinds of wrong, but even if background checks for private sales were a good thing, why would they need the "make, model, caliber, and serial number" of the gun to be transferred? I thought it was a background check on the buyer, not a registry of the guns that people buy? Theoretically, they can only keep the record for 5 years, but who knows how that is handled.
  5. mkwerx

mkwerx Well-Known Member

7   0   0
    Prozanski needs prozac. I doubt this bill is going anywhere - it's essentially the same one introduced last year that was killed. I think, being an election year, there aren't enough dems willing to risk their seats to vote this nonsense through - I'm sure they remember what Colorado did last year and don't want to risk being ousted themselves.
  6. Taku

Taku Life Member NRA, and Life Member OSSA, Former USMC Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

10   0   0
    We're taking them down regardless this year.
    Boomerang and (deleted member) like this.
  7. drew

drew Well-Known Member

28   0   0
    I hope you're right and it puts Floyd's political career out to pasture because he's pushing this pretty hard.
  8. tkdguy

tkdguy Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2   0   0
  9. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

20   0   0
    Are you considering it registration when you get a BGC at the gunshop or gunshow then?
  10. Taku

10   0   0
    If this bill passes, it will be easier to just get an FFL and sell your firearm.
    Read the fing bill.
  11. Boomerang

Boomerang Active Member

10   0   0
    Defacto registration, for five years, yes. It is a little different right now though, since you have the option of buying guns in private sales, so at least all your guns are not registered.
  12. Darknight

Darknight Active Member

10   0   0
    Until the BATFE decides to do an audit on the FFL or OSP books, and we know they would never copy any of the transactions down during the audit for their records. Nor would they ever keep electronic copies of the BGC's. They certainly would never keep the FFL's books they have to turn in when they give up their FFL. :paranoid:
  13. bnsaibum

5   0   0
    HB 4068 is a step in the right direction and provides that existing law is applied equally and fairly. OFF has a decent explanation about it, and it could be better.
  14. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

20   0   0
    A truer spokesman for our cause, there ne'er was.
  15. bnsaibum

5   0   0
    HB 4075. It allows disabled hunters to use a battery powered scope, laser sight, or lighted pin sight on a bow. My only reservation is that a licensed person accompanying the disabled hunter may shoot the game animal for the disabled.
  16. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Active Member

0   0   0
    Just sent my letter off to Chris Edwards. He didn't reply to me last year and so I'm not going to hold my breath that he will this year.
  17. Bill L

Bill L New Member

0   0   0
    The person to watch is D-Senator Betsy Johnson. She was the swing vote that botched things for Prozac, and Burdick in the Senate. Keep pressure on her to NOT support the registration bill. Also D-Roblan is in a district that is fairly gun friendly, so if you are over in Coos Bay/Reedsport etc....might be a good time to drop Roblan a note to keep him in line. As to Prozanski, I haven't seen anyone sign up to oppose him. Lane County Republican leadership is a mess right now, so don't expect a powerhouse opponent show up to bounce Prozanski.
  18. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Well-Known Member

1   0   0
    This is exactly the rhetoric that the anti's are using against us. You need to think this through a bit. How in the world can the law be enforced if there isn't a registry? I'll tell you how, without a registry, there is no way to know who owns what and if there was a transfer of ownership. Look at what's happening in New York and California. Listen to what Burdick has said about registration and confiscation. Look at the Chicago liberals looking for someone, anyone to be punished for their concealed carry law change. This is but another foot in the door. It's an attack against a straw man (felons undergoing a background check) in an attempt to wrestle freedoms away from law abiding citizens.

You wonder why one of OFFs' slogans is "No Compromise"? It's exactly this. The antis' couldn't care less about enforcing laws. They only care about making themselves look good. This law has absolutely nothing to do with public safety and has everything to do with political posturing.
    DMax, bnsaibum, OLDNEWBIE and 3 others like this.
  19. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers Active Member

0   0   0
    You are in part, doing yourself a big favor by doing a BGC on a sale.

You sell to a felon, and this is bad ju ju
    As far as the gun make model and SER##
    If you are buying, and the gun turns out to be hot, that's also bummer, especially if you decide to sell it later, and it then ends up heading to a police prop room as a stolen gun.
    You will likely be out your $$$

There are some good things in this stuff, but sadly these laws can be perverted dreadfully

Snowy
  20. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers Active Member

0   0   0
    Will any of these laws stop whackos from school and mall shootings, very very unlikely.

Will these laws add to the govmnt database, certainly will.

Is there a happy medium, MAYBE.

Can the politicians and go to a very limited part time legislature.

WE could send all the politickers home for 5 years, and things would go just fine, the sun would still come up every morning and set every night. :laugh: