JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Perhaps the huge number of .17HMR shooters are very happy with "hitting an ammo box at 200 yards" sometime during the course of a 10-round clip. Certainly nothing wrong with that.
It'll make the shot every time, the only variable is me (and I'm talking a 17HMR box BTW). And you can get the Accutrigger well below 2 lbs with about 5 minutes worth of work. Mine will do a 1 inch group no problem, sorry yours wont :huh:

@spitpatch, thanks for the detailed explanation. Indeed you've had the opportunity to test the limits of the 17HMR much more than I have. I hope to some day find the time and space to do the same!

And on the original topic, I'm still excited about the 10-round mags :)

Spitpatch, I think your results are typical. There is a big difference between internet groups and groups that are actually shot. When someone tells me, "One hole groups, all day long", I write them off as full of BS.

I'm guessing most these guys don't know what a wind flag is either. Even with a benchrest gun small groups are difficult unless you have flags and know how to read them. The 17 HMR is the most prone to wind bullet I've ever shot. The slightest breeze turns a 1/2 inch group into the groups that most people get, ranging from 1 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch.

My Savage 17 HMR came with a test target and was picked out by a salesmanager for me at Savage because I had issues with my first 17 HMR. That target, shot under controlled conditions, measure .61 inch. I think the gun is capable, but only under perfect conditions.

A voice in the wilderness, Otter. Problem is, I've never seen a sage rat in a shooting tunnel. But then, I've only shot in two of them. ;-) And, if you haven't tried the Winchester ammo yet, get on it. Powder is different from all the rest, velocity different from all the rest (slightly slower, much better SD's on the chrono), and accuracy different from all the rest (in my gun). Worth the extra two bucks BiMart wants.

I have to agree with this one, my Savage is spot on deadly accurate at 100+ yards and a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm with you on this as well. Mine is super accurate. Not much change from 25 yards out to 100 yards. I was hitting 1/2 clay pigeons at 280 yards consistently. It is a gun I have been super impressed with!

I hope you were kidding about only 2 sage rats. Tried the Winchester ammo several years ago in a Savage and Ruger 17 HMR and it wouldn't shoot worth a darn. All the Ruger would shoot "super accurate", and I mean "1/4 inch groups all day long", was the Federal ammo. I bought about 2,000 rounds at WalMat back before the craze started and it was just over $8 a box. That all got shot up and the new Federal ammo I purchased, at $13 a box, doesn't shoot any where near as good. Now a lot of Hornady shoots the best. I think there are significant variations in lots, and just because one lot of a certain brand shoots good, the next lot may or may not.

"only shot IN two of them" (shooting tunnels). NO sage rats there. Federal ammo is the current "dud" in my Savage. Nearly all the rest shoot just about the same, with the Winchester stuff a standout. Dismantling the cartridge revealed a fine ball powder: departure from the round flake stuff in all other ammo.

And, as for this indisputable statement, "Not much change from 25 yards out to 100 yards.", all I can say is that I would not expend the effort to dispute it.

Word is they have shipped, a post was made on RFC with PICTURES, quality seems to be good, but have mixed reviews, which to a point I would put on Savage and their engineering and on it being a brand new product with out a lot of field testing, IE: it worked in their rifle but not in everyone's.

10 round .17HMR mags - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

The HMR is full of people who shoot 1/2 MOA all day, maybe the do, but I have never been able to CONSISTENTLY put that down, every once in awhile sure. 1.25 seems to be the norm, not just for me but for most. These people who get 1/2 all day are the same people who group 1/4" at 50 with a bone stock marlin 60, all day. Or maybe they just got lucky.

All that aside, I personally have had my own experiences. I want to Idaho last summer and shot my brothers .17hmr for the first time. Call me a liar if you want, but we were knocking holes through quarters at 100yd reliably. His was a savage. We could knock 1/2 groups all day using his truck hood and a sand bag. I came home and bought one. Savage SS accutriger with the bull barel. I'm getting another with a thumb hole stock on Monday. I do have to agree though. The wind will destroy any accuracy on such a light round. But at 200yd, no wind... I'd put money on mine that says I could put 9 out of 10 through an ammo box if we can hit quarters at 100yd. I have the BSA sweet 17 scope on mine and I am throughly happy!

All that aside, I personally have had my own experiences. I want to Idaho last summer and shot my brothers .17hmr for the first time. Call me a liar if you want, but we were knocking holes through quarters at 100yd reliably. His was a savage. We could knock 1/2 groups all day using his truck hood and a sand bag. I came home and bought one. Savage SS accutriger with the bull barel. I'm getting another with a thumb hole stock on Monday. I do have to agree though. The wind will destroy any accuracy on such a light round. But at 200yd, no wind... I'd put money on mine that says I could put 9 out of 10 through an ammo box if we can hit quarters at 100yd. I have the BSA sweet 17 scope on mine and I am throughly happy!

I am running the same setup and I have had 5 shots that were covered by a dime on my best day at 50 yds. They are great little rifles that will make a mess of sage rats!

I bought a twin pack of the 10 rd. mags. The finish was bad and within 3 days of coming out of the mailing envelope they were rusty just from setting on the dresser in the bedroom. After 2 weeks they look like I found them laying in field. They are also loose in my Savage and rattle. On the plus side they cycle fine. The 10 round mag is a great idea but Savage or Butler Creek or someone who will do it right needs to do it.

I contacted the company when they first came out with contact info.

Talked to the Prez,,, dont tell me how I getsie the phone numbers....

Customer service and bulk orders were confirmed, and then a month later the CSR flopped up on it...

I can buy FOUR of the 5 round mags for the same price as (ONE) 10 round mag.

Crap product. I am open to manufacturing 10,15,20 30 and 50 round mags for the savage series. AND DONT LIVE IN KOMMIE KALI!

The current company UBER FAIL. Listen to the guy that had them all rust. My savage mags still havent rusted!

I contacted the company when they first came out with contact info.

Talked to the Prez,,, dont tell me how I getsie the phone numbers....

Customer service and bulk orders were confirmed, and then a month later the CSR flopped up on it...

I can buy FOUR of the 5 round mags for the same price as (ONE) 10 round mag.

Crap product. I am open to manufacturing 10,15,20 30 and 50 round mags for the savage series. AND DONT LIVE IN KOMMIE KALI!

The current company UBER FAIL. Listen to the guy that had them all rust. My savage mags still havent rusted!

Mind giving up the place where four five rounders are less than $25 bucks? :D

Shame they aren't up to snuff, I was really excited after just picking up a 93F yesterday. Oh well, 5 rounders it is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top