JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They also implied that they are suitable for .22 Mag also, if I read it correctly.

I just bought a few extra OEM 5-round mags from Midway. That packaging says the same thing. I though it was odd, but then again, I haven't ever even seen a 22 mag round... But it's a perfect factory replacement, so don't let that wording worry you.

I noticed they were backordered. :( Too bad. Maybe they be back in stock before my wife's birthday...she'd love it! :s0155:

With the deplorable quality of ammunition offered in this caliber that hampers the decent guns being built, I guess ten rounds might eventually allow somebody to hit something.

With the deplorable quality of ammunition offered in this caliber that hampers the decent guns being built, I guess ten rounds might eventually allow somebody to hit something.

Hrm? I get the polymer tipped Federal stuff (17 grain?) for my Savage 93R17 and have had no issues whatsoever. If you've had issues, do tell.

My 9317 is great and I have never had a problem with the Ammo either. Deadly accurate at 100 yards. I get +/- 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
As far as the 17HMR/22MAG thing, the 17 is a necked down 22 Mag round.

My circle of buddies got in to .17 HMR about 4 years ago. Each of them extolled the virtues. Our yearly trip east for rats and chucks demonstrated to them (and me) that the .17 is indeed a good choice for that work, but a .22 Magnum outshines the .17 immediately when a 5-10mph breeze kicks up.

Now: as to my comment about the ammo. I am deeply embroiled in my very first .17HMR experience. The rifle was a Christmas gift, so I feel a great obligation to make it work. Since I got the gun at no expense, I felt free to invest expense where necessary. It is a Savage 9317BTVSS (Lam Thumb Stainless). The gun wants to shoot well. The ammo will not allow it. I have tried each and every brand and all bullet weights.

Now: admittedly, perhaps my criteria is a bit more demanding than most. Sandman claims near-half inch groups at 100 yards. All my partners made the same claims. Just last week, all five of us were here at my range. 100 yards, hard bench inside my heated,insulated shooting cabin, Caldwell Rock Tripod, eared sandbags front and rear. Five shooters, six rifles (one guy has two). One is a Marlin, all the rest Savages, all fat-barrels. Seven different types of ammo at our disposal. The rubber hit the road, and no alibis. The result? Five shot groups to a half-inch square target averaged about 1.25" overall with ammo that each gun showed a preference for.

This is precisely the result that I obtained during my sessions shooting alone with my gun. Then I invested money in a thicker base plate (Savage uses sheet steel, which allows the bedding screw to buckle the metal). Then I installed a Rifle Basix trigger, getting the pull to 1.25lbs (Accutrigger's bottom limit is 2.6lbs). Then I did the most meticulous glass and pillar bed job I've ever undertaken in 40 years.

All this investment and time into the gun, and yes, I can claim "I get 1/2 inch groups". Because I got two of them. Out of 50 plus.

The gun will cluster three or four, but out of a group of five, at least one, and usually two stray from the flock. The chronograph was the tattle-tale (as it usually is). The rounds that stray are almost invariably an anomaly of velocity as well. This is the basis for my statement about ammunition quality.

Rumors abound that Hornady and CCI load all the cartridges for everybody (Rem,Win,Federal, etc.) This may be so, but my gun prefers the Remington and Winchester offerings markedly over the CCI, Hornady,Federal, etc. The black sheep (sorry, Ablaut) was Federal. 2-3" groups out of every one of these rifles we shot. Typically, each individual gun will like something different, and perhaps Ablout's gun has a taste that these didn't.

Now, with rimfire ammo this is not unusual, and in fact it is the norm. Only the .22lr has been blessed with manufacturers efforts (and a customer base willing to pay extra) to construct match-grade ammo. And with stellar results. The difference between high-dollar target grade .22's and cheapie bulk .22's on paper is the difference between night and day. I am a firm believer that the .17HMR market would support the development of match-grade ammo. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps the huge number of .17HMR shooters are very happy with "hitting an ammo box at 200 yards" sometime during the course of a 10-round clip. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top