JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i got this new Mosin Nagant 91/30 (thanks Cocktailer!) and took it out to the range. When i bought it, i chose the rifle with the best looking bore, and it is a beaut.

To compare, i also brought out my Mosin Nagant M39, which i consider my best shooting gun. I tested out three different ammo, since Mosins are known to prefer some and not others.

I started out with 5 shots at 100 yards with Bulgarian light. Three shots are in an inch.
91-30Bulgarianlight.jpg

Then i tried out some Bulgarian heavy. I don't think the gun likes this at all!
91-30Bulgarianheavy.jpg

So now it's some Czech light. Holy smokes! 4 shots are in 1 3/8 inch and all 5 shots are in a 2 inch group. That is the best group i have ever shot.
91-30Czechlight.jpg

Compare this to the M39's best today with some Bulgarian heavy. 4 rounds in an inch and a half and 5 shots in 2 1/4 inches, which is par for the M39.
M39Bulgarianheavy.jpg

So far, the 91/30 is beating out my M39! Well, these guns were meant for distance, so it's time to leave the kid's range and head out to the where i can do some real shooting.

I shot 20 rounds with both the 91/30 and the M39 at 300 yards. Here are the results; a close match and the M39 scored 108 and the 91/30 scored 100. That's really close and i have myself one awesome gun!:)

Here's the 91/30:
91-30Czechlight300.jpg

And here's the M39:
M39Bulgarianheavy300.jpg

Great stuff! You shoot those old guns well! I have a couple 91/30's and a M38. Something about the sight setup... or the geometry of the guns... makes it really hard for me to shoot the long guns accurately at all. On the other hand, it looks like you got the hang of it.

Cheers!

The mosin is a simple, accurate rifle, chambered in a hard hitting (even for these times) caliber. I have heard of MOA accuracy from more than one shooter ( I can't, old eyes). Looks like you are doing just fine.

I know some people think these are ugly, obsolete, junk guns. They are truly obsolete, but they are fine firearms and even beautiful in their own peculiar way.

I know some people think these are ugly, obsolete, junk guns. They are truly obsolete, but they are fine firearms and even beautiful in their own peculiar way.

there are a lot of "obsolete" guns out there. So what. I pull the trigger, it goes boom. If you are capable of hitting your target with the first shot, what does it matter? many of the guns of which you speak are just as capable as anything made currently.

You could even accurize the M91/30 to some point. Float the barrel, bed the action. I floated my barrel, though I have not bedded the action yet. Need to take it out and test it again... scrubbed it out real well to try and fix sticky bolt. Unfortunately I have a hard time shooting well past 50 yards. Need more practice...as long range range time is hard for me to get.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top