JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've noticed your pictures and I must say I'm very impressed. Aside from the quality work though... might you explain your photographic technique?
I was asked this in another thread. Since it was a bit off topic for that thread I thought I would answer it here.

My technique is painfully unrefined. It is all about the lighting and getting it as cheaply and easily as possible. I do not use any special lights or a nice camera. I just use what I have around the house and an old Canon Elph digital camera.

If I have no natural light at all I will go into the garage and use an old t-shirt stretched over a wooden frame I threw together. I just us a couple old porcelin sockets for light.
lighting.jpg

This is a sample with the crude light box and lightbulb set up. It is a nice white light but can look a little "cold" and it turns the colors a bit grey.
CmndrSizeds.jpg

If I have some natural light I will make use of it by going upstairs to the guest room. I will just augment it with some bedside lamps from the house to soften shadows.
SetUp.jpg

Here is a sample of the "mixed light" photos. The combination of sunlight mixed with dim incandescent bulbs gives a very "warm and glowy" feel.
SeecampWB.jpg

Sometimes I have enough natural light that I do not need anything else. In that case I just throw the posterboard on the guest bed and take the pics. I do have mirrored closet doors on the other side of the bed from the window so the light gets reflected back to fill in shadows. I will often remove one of the doors from the runner and lean it right against the bed on the opposite side of the guns from the window.
SimpleSetUp.jpg

I think the "all natural" light gives the best results. It is bright and crisp but not too reflective or cold. The colors are more true to life too.
Customgrips.jpg

That first post covers set up. After that the most important thing is making sure to get the guns lint free before taking the pics and NEVER use a flash. Always use a tripod and a timer for your shutter release. That way you can use a nice long exposure and you will not blur it by shaking the camera by holding it or by pressing the shutter release. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top