JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After carrying my new Rohrbaugh for a couple days I am amazed at how easy it carries. The bad thing is that for it to disappear under a t-shirt I had to appendix carry (2:00 as pictured below). I found this completely unsettling and I just cannot bring myself to be comfortable with it.

I have to overcome my fear of printing, then my fear of carrying a loaded gun, then my fear of loaded guns with no safeties, then my fear of carrying a cocked and locked 1911. Just when I thought I had overcome all the psychological issues I would have to I now find myself once more unnerved.

I just could not handle a loaded gun pointed at my crotch while sitting. I could just picture a bullet tearing through my femoral artery...or worse, blowing off some very important parts that would force me to make a major life change that I am just not interested in making (and not just because my shoulders are too broad to pull off a halter top). When you carry at 3:30 at most you worry about a grazed fanny, but this was way worse a feeling. Even though I know my gun is not just going to go off by itself it was an unpleasant thought.

Anyone else have this issue?

Appendix2.jpg

Last Edited:
Yeah, shooting myself in the crotch scares the **** out of me as well. But thankfully I'm a little more generous around the midsection, and could never carry comfortably like that anyway. I'll stick to the possibility of shooting myself in the butt...

There was an episode of Trauma Life in the ER, filmed in Portland where a guy accidentally shot himself in the penis while at the range.

I wouldn't carry a gun like that tbh. At least if it malfunctions and goes off at at your side, it will just skim your skin. If it goes off like that, as you noted.. could easily rip femoral artery open, and you die at about the same time you realize what happened.

Well I don't know I've recently been considering a Smart Carry rig for my Warthog. My original concern against one was the possibility of shooting my ____ off and a slow draw. I still haven't gotten one but I think I'm going to give it a try. I tire of carrying a lesser weapon (LCP) when I need deep concealment. As you probably know the Warthog is a micro 1911 variant so it will be carried cocked and locked at all times. Of course that part doesn't scare me. It's just the slim possibility that the planets align, the safety some how gets tripped off by itself, I attempt to draw, the weapon gets caught, my finger slips on the trigger, and then Bam! bye bye Mr. Happy To See You. Honestly in my case a lot of things would have to go wrong in my opinion for that to happen but you never know I guess.

A little bit of printing is not bad. What's bad is when you print so badly that Joe Shmoe on the street can tell you have a gun. I'm 5'10" and 190 lbs and I can get away with a P220 under a jacket, or a full size 1911 under a T-shirt. It prints a little, but no one has ever noticed it was a gun. As far as minimizing your printing it's really all in the grip frame and holster. For me about 15 degrees of forward tilt let's me carry a 1911 under a T-shirt. I can get by with a straight drop if it's an officers frame. On thing I have noticed about straight drops is that they do not handle bending forward or squatting as well as holsters with forward cant.

With a gun that size any printing will probably be written off as a cell phone in a cell phone holster. Or if you could say it's an insulin pump ;p

If, as I suspect, you think that this is a safe carry technique, and you want to use it, just work through the psychological issues involved. You clearly already know how to do this - I do too, and it's neither difficult nor complicated. The hardest part is making a decision to get started in the first place.

If you think it's dangerous, come up with a different t-shirt strategy.

Even if worse came to worse, a couple of silicone danglers and a big box of testosterone patches would likely fix you right up.

I lost count on how many times I read the word 'fear' in your missive.

Your defeating the purpose of trying to deal with an external threat(assuming that's why you carry) if your more worried about shooting yourself.

Yeah PBP, I got the same disorder/phobia/concern. I think I actually go a step farther though. When I pocket carry a BUG, I won't chamber a round because when I sit down, I know it is pointing at my wife, kids, friends, etc...

I just can't do it. It feels like I am breaking the gun safety rule of never pointing a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

That is one of the reasons why I like the 3:30 carry. Safe pointing direction most all of the time...

Get over it, I had a smart carry holster which had my colt mustang sit above my crotch and had the muzzle in line with my right testicle, i had my doubts but the holster was easy to wear and the mindset went away.

Just monday morning quarterbacking here , but howz about a slightly looser shirt ? I am probably going to regret saying this , but I carry a G26 at 8:30 (lefty ) and wear an untucked button up shirt without having ever been outed to the best of my knowledge.

Yick, I would never carry in that position OP. There are just too many things that I really *do not* want to shoot in that area.

I think I'm safe when I draw and reholster, but as the ND/AD thread has shown it can happen to anyone. Even if I have good trigger discipline there is always the chance that some piece of clothes or something gets stuck in the trigger guard. Getting a round grazing my butt cheek would hurt to be sure, but it would be a lot better than if it went straight into my leg or even worse--into my baby-making apparatus.

I carry a full size CZ-75 in a leather IWB holster at about 4:00-4:30. Conceals perfectly under a sweater. If I wear a loose dark-colored t-shirt it is also practically invisible. The only thing I really have to watch out for is bending over which causes printing. I just drop to one knee when I want to pick stuff up.

ugly sweater tiem. :V
http://img338.imageshack.us/i/sspx0332.jpg/ http://img411.imageshack.us/i/sspx0333.jpg/

Get over it, I had a smart carry holster which had my colt mustang sit above my crotch and had the muzzle in line with my right testicle, i had my doubts but the holster was easy to wear and the mindset went away.

Maybe your the kinda guy that doesn't really need a right testicle?

light, short sleeve button-up shirts (don't have to be buttoned) do a nice job of just enough cover, for me, in the summer.
But I don't worry that much either.
and I won't carry a 1911 with the chamber loaded (or at all honestly) and I'm with the OP..... having the thing pointed at my crotch just wouldn't work for me.
I carry outside the wasteband, don't think i could shoot myself without trying to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top