JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very interesting article. Several tactical points demonstrated.

OPSEC - If you grow pot (or use lots of other popular drugs, or have other sorts of valuables/collections) don't advertise!

Alarms - the guy had dogs who alerted him at 3:30am

Physical security - home did not seems to have much barriers or locks to prevent entry, especially considering his activist job in the drug culture

Weapons - the pot guy at least had a weapon if only a .22LR pistol. Not only that, he had a backup pistol for when the first one jammed.

Decisive (He who shoots first wins) - the pot guy shot as soon as he saw someone in his house pointing a shotgun at him. In this case the .22Lr shooting first wins over the shotgun that is surprised and gets off a poor shot.

Use enough gun - Had the pot guy used a more powerful gun, the intruder may not have had the chance to shoot at all. He was lucky to be missed.

Unless I missed it, the article does not give the caiber of the 2nd handgun that was used after the first one jammed (bulk ammo?), so we don't know that was a 22. It was that 2nd handgun sent one of the perps to the hospital and drove them out of the house.

I grab a 22 and a 9mm, this gives me some options.

I'll agree with that, but then that opens a whole can of worms...

What about alcohol and hi powered pain pills? Not sure either of those are any safer than being stoned.

They are legal items.. I was making a purely legal point based on Federal law. Personally I could care less if people want to turn themselves into unproductive zombies with weed, as long as they steer clear of me and mine

So much for that, "With a shotgun, you don't even have to aim!" line people often use when trying to sell you a shotgun.

Nice point Blitzkrieg...

I like a 10mm with Double Tap 135gr. Noslers at 1600fps ;about 3mags worth.That with a green laser and a high intesity light after the three dogs wake me makes the odds just slightly more in My favor...

That guy is a dope

How can he possess and grow pot and have the right to own a gun under federal law?

Medicine is medicine under the law. Here in PDX the armed home invasion rate has gone up a huge percent (exact number evades me right now) because of the medical marijuana program. I'm not debating the right or wrong of the OMMP, but as American citizens operating within the rule of the law, patients need the right to defend themselves.

Also, my main concern is how publicly available the list of homes containing many thousands of dollars worth of equipment and medicine is. Because it seems like any dingbat with a computer, a gun, and a mask is set to jet if they feel a little strapped for cash. Not only that, but most medical marijuana patients are stoned, and thus generally peaceful and laid back. Sounds like an easy target to me...that is until I remember that as law abiding citizens, these patients have the right to buy a gun and defend their life, their families life, and their private property. Whether or not they choose to is their business.

Just think about how much a caregiver is sticking their neck out for the patient by growing medical marijuana in their home, putting their name on a list not only watched closely by the government, but also by criminals. I think this man did a bang-up job defending his home no matter what caliber he chose. Think about how he must have felt with a shotgun pointed at him armed with nothing but a .22? He still held his ground and fended off the intruders. Which is more than most of us can say with our bigger caliber guns that we have never had to use to defend ourselves.

Sorry for the rant...it's coffee time :D

Last Edited:
My point is the Feds do not consider it medicine, and the possession and or use of it is grounds under Federal law to deny RKBAs

Do I agree with that if we're talking about pot for a medical condition? No, but if you'll remember the little yellow forms you fill out to buy a gun OTC, it specifically asks if you have ever used drugs, and if you answer yes, sale is denied

Form 4473

http://www.thundertek.net/documents/4473.pdf

Note question E:

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled
substance?

Right, the key word is unlawful user. Have you ever had a prescription for Vicodin? I personally think that the medical marijuana program is a blatant back door to ending prohibition, and it dirties the name of the anti-prohibition movement. Also, I don't know WA laws at all so I'm a bit out of my league.

But pot doesnt lend its users to violence... pffffffft . Stoners are stupid, but greed corrupts all it touches.

Even if its legalized fully, it will STILL be a problem for a time to come after initial legalization.

But pot doesnt lend its users to violence... pffffffft . Stoners are stupid, but greed corrupts all it touches.

Even if its legalized fully, it will STILL be a problem for a time to come after initial legalization.

Ain't that the truth. All these years after the end of alcohol prohibition and we still have rampant alcoholism, not to mention the awful liquor control commissions. But back on topic...this just goes to show the point that a .22 is better than a pointed stick.

Sure, but the reality is the USA is awash in the stuff, already

The super dangerous drug de jour is meth.. minimal use destroys the conscience centers of the brain, permanently

Ain't that the truth. All these years after the end of alcohol prohibition and we still have rampant alcoholism, not to mention the awful liquor control commissions. But back on topic...this just goes to show the point that a .22 is better than a pointed stick.

If the invaders were close enough, a good short sword would have been better than the .22, and no repeat offenders or hospital costs that way ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top