JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm hoping some of the veteran shooters can help me make sense of what I've observed.

Being a fairly new to shooting ranges, clubs and guns in general, I've noticed some subtle, but interesting cultural differences regarding paper targets.

Most public indoor ranges sell targets. Some have all manner of targets, including zombies, osama bin laden, humanoid silhouettes, to simple grid targets.

I've visited and read rules from a few places that strictly prohibit use of humanoid targets. Most of these are less public - either private member only places, or limited public use.

I'm neutral either way, and actually prefer a grid for sighting in or other serious practice. Is there something to this rule, or not?

If you're shooting bullseye, or working on basic skills, any target will work.

When working on combat/street stuff, I would recommend human photo targets...not silhouette type.
You can get black/white photo targets fairly reasonable. get the type that have the scoring areas, but are light enough so you can't see them unless you're right up on them.

If you're shooting bullseye, or working on basic skills, any target will work.

When working on combat/street stuff, I would recommend human photo targets...not silhouette type.
You can get black/white photo targets fairly reasonable. get the type that have the scoring areas, but are light enough so you can't see them unless you're right up on them.

Agreed...I loved one range I went to in North Carolina that had all types of human targets. One even had a guy behind cover that looked like he was turning fire...another had a guy that had a gun pointed at you with one hand and in his other hand it was empty- almost like he was saying "don't shoot". Then another one with a hostage...I thought it was cool that they had such a diversity of firearms you could rent and targets and such there. Very knowledgable, but very expensive!

Now all I have is a "Hole in the Wall" that price gouges every firearm that crosses their hands because they hardly have any other private dealers to compete against.

Agreed...I loved one range I went to in North Carolina that had all types of human targets. One even had a guy behind cover that looked like he was turning fire...another had a guy that had a gun pointed at you with one hand and in his other hand it was empty- almost like he was saying "don't shoot". Then another one with a hostage...I thought it was cool that they had such a diversity of firearms you could rent and targets and such there. Very knowledgable, but very expensive!

Now all I have is a "Hole in the Wall" that price gouges every firearm that crosses their hands because they hardly have any other private dealers to compete against.

I've had good luck at The Columbia Gun Rack. No target range though...

515.jpg

<broken link removed>

those little plastic green army men are an excellent target at 50 yards

Never thought of that before! Excellent idea! I've shot computers, monitors, cans, bottles and a bunch of other stuff (and yes, I've always cleaned up) but not the cheapo army guys!

By the way, in Northern California (where I'm pretty recently from) they didn't allow anything but standard bulls eye (and grid) type targets. Silhouette/humanoid-type targets were strictly forbidden on account of fear of being targeted by the gun banners and media as promoting a killing mentality. Stupid? Of course, it was California. Some ranges wouldn't allow targets that depicted animals (you've all seen the targets with squirrels on them I'm sure - not allowed). I can’t speak to that here however those same types of fears might have something to do with bans on usage of those types of targets.

I'm going to Bi-Mart and getting three or four bags of plastic toys! Great idea...

By the way, the local news outfits actually did send reporters out to the ranges to see if those types of targets were being used specifically to demonize guns, owners, ranges, etc. Thankfully, I suppose, they were not in use and they had nothing all that interesting (though they did show a couple of guys with the uber scary "ASSAULT RIFLES"!) to report. Can't begin to express my pleasure at NOT being there anymore. :)

Evergreen range in Thurston County won't even allow bowling pins :s0114:

But they do let me put up small zombie targets

Some guys use golf balls hanging on tape, from the wire

I want a target of some thug crouching behind a car holding a gun sideways doing a blindfire. Car must have at least 8" of clearance from ground. So one can work on their feet shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top