JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,

I haven't seen these discussed here on our local level yet, so for those interested in such things I'm going to start a thread on early Russian night vision rifle scopes, specifically the 1pn34.

The 1pn34 is a triple tubed cascade Gen 1 starlight amplifier of early 1970s design. My example was made in 1986, originally manufactured in Siberia, shipped to East Germany, then sold to the Finish Defense Forces. Finland began surplusing them out a few years ago, which is how I got mine. When received it was in brand new, unissued condition. It is equipped with many accessories including several types of eyecups, a daytime filter used for zeroing, a red filter used for nighttime contrast, ballistic cams for different categories of weapon platforms, three original wet cell batteries, a load bearing vest pouch, an instruction manual (in Russian) and a big padded metal toolbox to carry it all in. The exporter kindly included an additional set of instructions in English and German. The price has gone up on these somewhat since they first started widely appearing about a year ago. I'm not sure how longer they will be available.

These scopes are very primitive, but very rugged, user friendly, and with a surprisingly bright and clear image. I would honestly rate it as good as an early Gen 2 amplifyer because of the cascaded tubes...performance is much better than the modern single tube Gen 1 goggles and monoculars available commercially.

The scope is nominally ranged for 300 to 1000 meters, with adjustable windage, elevation and a variable intensity illuminated range finding reticule. Shorter or longer shots require the user to compensate for shot placement based on experience, although as with nearly all full-sized .30 caliber class ammunition, a 250m zero is also roughly zeroed at 25m, so compensation is measured in just a few inches of elevation.

The universal mount will allow the device to fit on nearly any rifle equipped with a ComBloc type sidemount...AK, PSL, SVD, etc. Pictured is the unit on a WASR AK. As you can probably imagine, once mounted the assembled unit becomes somewhat cumbersome and the rifle should probably be fired from a supported position if intended to be used for long periods of time. Kinda cool in a Duke Nukem way, but you'll also need big biceps to be really convincing :) .

The scope was originally powered by rechargable wet cell batteries, but it is recommended that they be kept for collector's purposes only and instead the user use two 1.2v NiMH AA rechargable batteries.

We have been extensively discussing these scopes for several months over on Gunboards...for further information just head on over there, do a search on PSL 1pn34 and read away.

Good night to you all.

Keith

I was actually trying to pick one of those up, from the very seller you did. Bloke ran out before I could grab one. I've seen them in action and they're a great addition to an AK or a PSL. Kalinka even makes a mount so you can even add it to your Mosin!

Heh, I do tend to use the same name across many boards. Though there are a few copy-cats out there. The bastards.

Ok, back to the topic at hand; how far have you gotten it out in actual use? I am still looking for one to slap onto my PSL for night shoots, but can it actually go out to the 600m range?

Actually, I didn't look at your name before I replied, only after your explanation. Hense the big 'duh' on my part...

Yes, the scope has been to the range, but only during daytime with the filter on and only to the 25 and 100 yard areas...25 for initial sight in, 100 to see the groupings that were possible and what compensation was required. I'm very pleased with the performance. (I also got some strange looks :) .) I have had it out during bright moonlight though, and the images are superb...almost too bright. Really, I feel that the only disadvantage of this scope compared a gen 2 (besides the size of course) is the reticular distortion. I'm going to be looking for a 1pn58 for my Yugo M76 if at all possible, but another '34 if one can't be found.

If you missed the boat through the Gunboards contact, he has had scopes very recently on eBay and Gunbroker too I believe. You might want to contact him through those venues.

Keith

I got one! From the same seller even. He had one left listed on Gunbroker and I managed to snag it. Stayed up untill 0300 to win the bloody thing, but I got it. Just in time to take it out later this month for a test run as well!

Well, just make sure you are zeroing in meters instead of yards. I zeroed the POI at 300m to the tip of the chevron on the '3' line with the ballistic cam set at '4'. I haven't gone farther out than that yet, but later checking zero at 100 yards with no further adjustments showed POI nearly the same as at 300m; I'm confident that anything I shoot at within at 400m is going to get hit right where I point.

I do not like the windage adjustment, as it requires a screwdriver and cannot be adjusted while viewing through the scope (unless I'm doing it wrong :) ).

Keith

Well, just make sure you are zeroing in meters instead of yards. I zeroed the POI at 300m to the tip of the chevron on the '3' line with the ballistic cam set at '4'. I haven't gone farther out than that yet, but later checking zero at 100 yards with no further adjustments showed POI nearly the same as at 300m; I'm confident that anything I shoot at within at 400m is going to get hit right where I point.

I do not like the windage adjustment, as it requires a screwdriver and cannot be adjusted while viewing through the scope (unless I'm doing it wrong :) ).

Keith

Nope, you're not wrong...

I got one last year from the first shipment from Finland. Here it is on one of my converted 7.62 Saigas:

1pn34_Izhmash_so_small.jpg

I stuck it on there for the photo but ended up zeroing it on an AK-74 during the day up at Clark Rifles (yup, got some interesting looks)... Then took it up into the hills on a nice moonlit night and shot it at about 60 yrds. At that disntance I didn't have any trouble seeing what I was shooting at. I agree they are very bright, but I don't agree they're better than modern Gen-I. If you're familiar with it, and are familiar with what your shooting area looks like in the daytime, and you have at least a 1/2 moon, then you'll do OK. But trying to use one of these in less than optimal conditions, in an area you've never seen before, you'd have a hard time picking out anything smaller than a car at distance - they just don't have a ton of resolution. They're pretty grainy and distorted around the edges too (but of course this is 70's era technology, what do you expect?)

The Finn's apparently didn't use them on AK-74's because none of the kits included the AK-74 ballistic cam, so my local shooting buddy happened to have a '74 cam from a 1PN-58 that he loaned to a fella who replicated a bunch of 'em. So I have a couple of extra 'copied' AK-74 cams for the -34 if anybody needs one.

A tech note: I ended up buying one of these Bulgarian flash hiders thinking it would help the 'flash blind' effect when shooting with nightvision:

d_1051.jpg

Not only did it not help, I think it actually was worse than the standard -74 brake :confused:. I still need to do some better A/B comparison testing to tell for sure. My buddy and I are gonna go find some place this summer where we can shoot these things safely at 300yds at nite. Finding safe/controlled place to do night shooting at distance is pretty tough - you definitely don't want someone wandering into your firing line at night. All of us PDX-area folks with Rusky NV should have a night shoot some time :)

-Thirtycal

It sounds like you have a bad HV power supply. Maybe. That's just my best guess without seeing it in person.

Dealer? No such luck that I know of, at least in the US. I believe your best bet would be to contact one of the sellers in Finland. This chap here (Want4what) usually has parts available.

<broken link removed>

Another source would be Dragunov.org.uk. Here's a link to his sales page.

Page 1

Good luck. If you can't get it to work, I might be interested in purchasing it.

Keith

Reviving an old thread, with the wild-shot purpose of seeing if anyone can interpret the handwritten message below. It is written in the instruction manual that came with another NSPU I just ordered. I clearly see a date of 2001r and it is the only date I can find anywhere. Its hard to believe that this scope was manufactured in 2001, but it is possible I guess. (Zastava only ceased production of the Yugo automobile just a few years ago.) Perhaps its the date it was surplussed out? Anyone?

Keith

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

Its big but its really not all that heavy. Most of that long tube is a hollow piece of glass.

They were responsible for many Mujahadin meeting Allah in a timely manner, and lots of folks still use them to hunt hog.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top