JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So today on my lunch break for the heck of it I decide to go to Discount Gun Sales LLC in Tukwila 'cause I like looking at guns and just picked up my uber awesome Glock 20SF last night and was hoping maybe they had some 10mm defensive loads. I walk in and ask the guy (didn't catch his name but the young clean cut looking asian guy) if they have any 10mm ammo. He says yes and hands me some bag (not even in a box) of 10mm plinking ammo for $34 a box, and even before I can say I'm looking for defensive loads or I don't want what he has or that it's kinda steep for what it is.....he goes into a lecture about how "10mm is an extinct round and a novelty" and "so is .357 Sig". He they tells me that "a .40 S&W +p will do the same thing as a 10mm" and that "9mm +p will do what a .357 Sig will do". Now I don't own a .357 Sig so I'm not to up on it's ballistics, but I want this guy to show me a .40 S&W +p round that will push a 200gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcase bullet 1300fps with 750 foot pounds of energy, or 135gr. Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point 1600fps with 767 foot pounds of energy.

Too really top it off (now that he'd lost a sale in ammo potentially), this bozo tells me if I have a 10mm or .357 Sig, that "you should get rid of it". Are you kidding me? Who taught this numb skull about customer service?!? One thing I would assume that any salesman understands is you don't talk down to them and then basically call what they like/own/whatever junk or inferior. I get people coming into the shop I work at looking for defensive ammo for their Lorcin .380, but I'm not going to say "sir, your gun is a cheap piece of S***. Get rid of it."

Now, I realize that 10mm doesn't have the following of .40 S&W or .45 ACP, but this is "the round" as far as I'm concerned in an autoloading pistol. I bought a 10mm for a purpose, it's superior ballistics. I love the round and I'll probably be one of the last guys riding 10mm wave.

I had been into this location before and they seemed ill informed of their products and what is out on the market. On top of that, I've had customer service issues with the location in Lake City Way. Walked in and told a salesman there I wanted a gun they had on the wall, didn't ask a bunch of dumb questions or try to haggle, just told him I wanted to buy it. The guy acted like I was inconveniecing him by purchasing the gun. I won't be shopping with them again.

Some guys just don't get it and it's a waste of time trying to explain to them. There are alot of other places to do business and I am glad I have been told about this one so I won't ever waste time in there.

jj

They have a low mark up, and sell a whole lotta guns there... negatively, this results in an arrogant, "we don't need your sale" attitude. I was in there several months ago and asked if they carry Dan Wesson, particularly the CBOB.... to which that same salesman replied, "whats a CBOB?!" After I explained that it was their Commander Bobtail, he attemted to cover his lack of knowledge with an arrogant "I've never heard it called that!"

I guess if he it didn't know it first, then it wasn't so! :s0112:

... and BTW, he also gave a little speech on the advantage of .45 over 10mm. :p

I have read a few posts like this, and have a shop in town(I'd rather not say which shop because they have some great old stuff if you are lucky) and I am a true pain in the rear to them for coming in once a month, looking around, and asking if they have X or Y in stock...???
Some stuff they have, if you look, don't ask (I was told NO and found it a few seconds later on my own)

Now I know people who have their gun prejudices, but isn't a Business a Business ??? As Calvin Coolidge said "the Business of America is Business ."

When I had my PSL sent thru an FFL I liked I spent 10 minutes hearing from a fellow customer how I should have bought an AR (and misquote how 5.56 and .223 are compatible and other stuff) ... type of guy who seems to work many places.

I also answered on that visit a few questions from the very pleasant owner and his employees about what the PSL (Romak III) is - this was the first they had seen, and how it differs from an AK and why I love the SKS... They were good business people and enthusiastic gun owners who run a fine shop and are aware that I value their knowledge on many things, and that I have a little experience too, and can be helpful to them, and I've been told I can save 10 bucks on a transfer elsewhere, but that is not always worth it overall.

Tangent ended - I've just seen so many of these posts and I wish we as gun buyers didn't have as many problems with what should be our local friendly neighborhood gun sales man.

And 10mm always seemed like an A## kicker to me - yet to shoot it, but if you can still find 45-70 rounds, why should anyone question a PAYING customer who wants to buy a modern cartridge.

you can prefer one caliber over another, but to talk down a potential customers choice is wrong in so many ways! It's insulting, arrogant, & ignorant. there is no shortage of gun shops in the PNW. word of mouth like this is as good as gold to me. they wont ever see my money.( not that I ever get up that way), but you get the point. there's a gun shop here in Salem with an abrasive, condescending owner. He can kiss my a$$ too.

There's some pretty grumpy salesman at other shops out there but they're tolerable but this guy was just an arrogant know it all prick. It's hard to really find a "good" gun shop anymore. Either they don't want to cater to what the consumer wants, prices are too steep, or they're full of a bunch of guys that would rather sit around and talk about there latest super ninja tactical belt or pants they got with other workers and ignore customers. They should start a section on this site specifically for rating gun shops in the northwest based on service, selection, price, etc. If you really think about it, everyone on this site is probably like me and spends a fair share of their hard earned money on what we love, firearms. It'd be nice for someone to get the skinny on a shop from other members here on if that shop is good, sucks, who was a good salesman and knowledgable, if they were over priced, etc.

So today on my lunch break for the heck of it I decide to go to Discount Gun Sales LLC in Tukwila 'cause I like looking at guns and just picked up my uber awesome Glock 20SF last night and was hoping maybe they had some 10mm defensive loads. I walk in and ask the guy (didn't catch his name but the young clean cut looking asian guy) if they have any 10mm ammo. He says yes and hands me some bag (not even in a box) of 10mm plinking ammo for $34 a box, and even before I can say I'm looking for defensive loads or I don't want what he has or that it's kinda steep for what it is.....he goes into a lecture about how "10mm is an extinct round and a novelty" and "so is .357 Sig". He they tells me that "a .40 S&W +p will do the same thing as a 10mm" and that "9mm +p will do what a .357 Sig will do". Now I don't own a .357 Sig so I'm not to up on it's ballistics, but I want this guy to show me a .40 S&W +p round that will push a 200gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcase bullet 1300fps with 750 foot pounds of energy, or 135gr. Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point 1600fps with 767 foot pounds of energy.

Too really top it off (now that he'd lost a sale in ammo potentially), this bozo tells me if I have a 10mm or .357 Sig, that "you should get rid of it". Are you kidding me? Who taught this numb skull about customer service?!? One thing I would assume that any salesman understands is you don't talk down to them and then basically call what they like/own/whatever junk or inferior. I get people coming into the shop I work at looking for defensive ammo for their Lorcin .380, but I'm not going to say "sir, your gun is a cheap piece of S***. Get rid of it."

Now, I realize that 10mm doesn't have the following of .40 S&W or .45 ACP, but this is "the round" as far as I'm concerned in an autoloading pistol. I bought a 10mm for a purpose, it's superior ballistics. I love the round and I'll probably be one of the last guys riding 10mm wave.

I had been into this location before and they seemed ill informed of their products and what is out on the market. On top of that, I've had customer service issues with the location in Lake City Way. Walked in and told a salesman there I wanted a gun they had on the wall, didn't ask a bunch of dumb questions or try to haggle, just told him I wanted to buy it. The guy acted like I was inconveniecing him by purchasing the gun. I won't be shopping with them again.

The guy is an idot, period. Don't waste your time or energy talking about him.

On another note, the 10mm is the greatest pistol round in my opinion. I have the Glock 20 and it is still my favorite gun after all these years.

Actually, what the young lad was saying bears some truth.

You should get rid of your outdated .357 Sig weapons. I will provide you my shipping address or the address of my FFL (for out of state tranfers) and I will properly dispose of them for you.

Please send all .357 Sig ammo to me directly for proper and speedy disposal.

BTW, I stopped going to that particular gun shop years ago. I dislike buying firearms from teenagers (or so they seemed).

They should start a section on this site specifically for rating gun shops in the northwest based on service, selection, price, etc. If you really think about it, everyone on this site is probably like me and spends a fair share of their hard earned money on what we love, firearms. It'd be nice for someone to get the skinny on a shop from other members here on if that shop is good, sucks, who was a good salesman and knowledgable, if they were over priced, etc.

Here it is:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Bruce

have more than 1 10mm auto, don't believe there dead yet.. Mine just keep on hitting the target when the trigger is pulled. Many newer imigrants do not really appreciate how America was founded and how we have help develope many a fine firearm and ammo..

They have a low mark up, and sell a whole lotta guns there... negatively, this results in an arrogant, "we don't need your sale" attitude. I was in there several months ago and asked if they carry Dan Wesson, particularly the CBOB.... to which that same salesman replied, "whats a CBOB?!" After I explained that it was their Commander Bobtail, he attemted to cover his lack of knowledge with an arrogant "I've never heard it called that!"

I guess if he it didn't know it first, then it wasn't so! :s0112:

... and BTW, he also gave a little speech on the advantage of .45 over 10mm. :p

Gotta disagree without on all counts, thier mark ups are horrible. You want to see a real gun shop that moves iron and knows thier crap go out to East County Guns in Elma.

My favorite experience in Discount, was when I was looking for a limited USPSA type pistol. I asked to look at the Sig X-5 in the case. Then nice gentlemen handed me the pistol, and the told me "don't rack the slide, or pull the trigger". Now maybe it's me, but when plan to drop $1,500 on a pistol, I sure as heck want to know what the trigger feels like. I immediately handed it back and said if I can't feel the trigger, there's no real point in handling it. I then saw they had a Bobcat MP5 clone on the wall. I asked if I could see that since I had never seen one in person before. Before he took it off the wall he said again "don't pull the bolt, or the trigger". I did not even have him get it off the wall. I just thanked him for his time and left. I don't think I have been in a Discount store since then, and that was 4-years ago.

My favorite quoute I have heard from other people is "Discount Guns, where we take the Discount out of the name."

Might want to let him know next time the .40 +p IS the 10mm. ;)

Thanks for the link BCP.

Only Discount locations I've had experience with are Tukwila, Lake City, and Kirkland. The Kirkland location I use to like to go into and Brett always provided good customer service (even randomly called me one day to tell me about a bunch of m14 mags he'd just got a hold of and would give me a good deal on and held 6 side for me) but they became sticklers on price and wouldn't give me any sorta price break anymore no matter how much money I spent. I understand not giving a discount if your prices are low margin, but one day there stuff went through the roof. Prices are no longer at a "discount".

That is exactly why I do most of my shopping at the gun shows. The last few times I drove around from shop to shop, looking for ammo, they were out of stock, and the clerks were not willing to say when they might be getting more in. Now if I'm looking at something I need, at the gun show, and the guy selling it is an A$$-Hat, then I just keep on walking down the isle, a couple rows over, you'll find the same thing for sale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top