JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as most of you probably know, I am a young trader (19). I do own handguns that I have gotten privately. I am sick of having to explain myself & why I have handguns to people. I just lost out on a good deal. The trader doesnt feel like the trade is legal. So how can I help somebody understand that I am legal to own handguns at the age of 18+. & Im not talking about being gifted a handgun by a parent. Im talking about about finding one on the internet & buying it. being under 21. In the state of OR......I would like to get 2 main answers...I know these answers...this is for everyone else....I have posted things like this over & over for each person that tells me what im doing is illegal:s0155: Mod advise is also appreciated

(1) Is it legal to trade a handgun for a long rifle, if you are 18+ under 21 in OR?

(2) Is it legal to trade a handgun for handgun, if you are 18+ under 21 in OR?

(3) Is it legal to sell a handgun privately to somebody over 21, if you are 18 + under 21 in OR?

According to the OFF website:

Hey guys,
I had another quick question for you. Here is the situation: I will be 21 in a couple of weeks and want to purchase a handgun. Obviously I can't do this until I'm 21 so if my father purchases one for me and gives it to me as a gift, he doesn't have to register it under his name or anything does he? I guess I want to clarify that it is illegal to purchase a handgun if you are younger than 21 but it is legal for someone who is less than 21 to own a handgun. Am I correct?

What makes you think we're all guys? (Maybe we are, but never assume.)
It is legal to own a handgun if you are younger than 21(but "over 18"). The prohibition is against purchase, not possession.(FFL holders may not sell handguns or handgun ammo to persons under 21)
As for "registration" understand that when a firearm is purchased FROM A FEDERALLY LICENSED DEALER, there is a de facto registration thanks to the "background check."
However, this does NOT apply to firearms obtained through transfers from private parties. So, if the gun in question was obtained through a private transfer that took place outside of a legally defined "gun show" there is no registration of any kind.
Go to the Oregon Gun Laws link on our web site for the entire law.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

this must fall under Federal jurisdiction since the ORS says age 18. FFL is federal firearms license. So as long as you are outside the federal jurisdiction, you are ok - that's the way I read it.

its not illegal to sell a pistol to someone who is under 21 as long as its not from an ffl. FYI dont ruin a sale for someone.

My apologies, I did not know that and had no intentions of tainting someones sale, I simply wanted to make sure they weren't putting themselves in a bad situation.... I am not here to bicker about what is right or what is wrong in someones for sale ad but I do appreciate your info as that is news to me :)

its not illegal to sell a pistol to someone who is under 21 as long as its not from an ffl. FYI dont ruin a sale for someone.

show me where it is legal./

What makes you think we're all guys? (Maybe we are, but never assume.)
It is legal to own a handgun if you are younger than 21(but "over 18"). The prohibition is against purchase, not possession.(FFL holders may not sell handguns or handgun ammo to persons under 21)
As for "registration" understand that when a firearm is purchased FROM A FEDERALLY LICENSED DEALER, there is a de facto registration thanks to the "background check."
However, this does NOT apply to firearms obtained through transfers from private parties. So, if the gun in question was obtained through a private transfer that took place outside of a legally defined "gun show" there is no registration of any kind.
Go to the Oregon Gun Laws link on our web site for the entire law.

attention to this line.

"The prohibition is against purchase, not possession"

from the OFF

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads